HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2008, 08:40 PM
NY State
Joined Jan 2007
2,833 Posts
Discussion
DC9360 in critically short supply (key supply of a123 cells)

I've had an eye on Dewalt DC9360 packs since early this year. I've never seen so few of them. In the past week it's like the supply has dropped off. I wonder if it's fleeting, but on Ebay right now only THREE packs are for sale, two at prices that are not worth considering, so realistically only one for sale.
JWilliams2 is offline Find More Posts by JWilliams2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2008, 09:43 PM
United States, TX, Argyle
Joined Jan 2005
709 Posts
I noticed the same thing also. I have been buying DC9360s for over a year for an electic bike that I am in the process of making

My theory is
The 36 volt line flopped and big box retailers and large name dewalt distributors got stuck with inventory and had to sell it off. Ebay was used to help get rid of this flop product. (Flop tool line with obviously great cells)

Lets face it 10 A123 cells are mighty powerful almost overkill for any handtool and to much weight. I own a 36 volt flashlight and it is quite the heavy tool.
Could not imagine having a 10 cell hand drill. To big To heavy Unless you plan on screwing down a boardwalk of deck screws daily.

Dewalt has recently introduced a new line of LIFePo4 tools.
They have a new 18 volt tool line
Demand for this appears to be high. Do a ebay search on dewalt DC9180.
There is plenty of supply. Right now 50 offerings deep.
(You already know this Jwilliams2 as I read your thread about DC9180)
These look lighter and more practical than the 36 volt monsters.

So the 36 volt flop line or supply soure or what every you want to refer to this flop product (but obviously not flop battery cells) has been sold through.

Add to the picture that GM is going to be purchasing lots of A123's.
They are SERIOUS about building an EREV called the Volt See GM-volt.com
Extended Range Electric Vehicle
And that A123 has been seleceted as one of the suppliers.

Now say hello shortage of supply.

A123 is in big demand cus Dewalt finally got the tool line right and GM is Serious about making a car.
All you need is one of these things to be right and
Bam the price goes price of these North due to supply and demand issues.

For my next need/purchase for LiFePo4 chemistry will probably go with K2 as they have shown the best indepdant discharge and test data that I have seen so far.

There you have it. My opinion.
Would welcome any Dewalt distributors in the know let us know what you know.
Microbatman is offline Find More Posts by Microbatman
Last edited by Microbatman; Jun 23, 2008 at 10:01 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 04:33 AM
NY State
Joined Jan 2007
2,833 Posts
I wonder if we can do a group buy on some Volt packs in a couple of years and some courageous sole will cut into it and sell off the cells
JWilliams2 is offline Find More Posts by JWilliams2
Old Jun 24, 2008, 08:23 PM
Joined Jan 2001
3,269 Posts
I don't look for those round cells to ever be in that Volt car. Look for prismatic cells with more capacity.
sjslhill is offline Find More Posts by sjslhill
Old Jun 25, 2008, 02:53 AM
San Gabriel Valley, CA
Joined Mar 2008
1,756 Posts
How about the pack that A123 Systems makes for Prius? It sells $9900 for equivalent of 660 2300mAh cells or $15 per cell. Not bad!
tai626 is online now Find More Posts by tai626
Old Jun 25, 2008, 03:34 AM
Slovakia
Joined Apr 2005
3,386 Posts
$15 or $16 is the price for ready RC packs and also single cells purchased in RC local or internet hobby shops (of course, those better shops, not overpriced). Why bother with group buy or dewalt packs?
coro is offline Find More Posts by coro