SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 23, 2008, 01:28 PM
East Greenwich, RI
Joined Dec 2003
25 Posts
Discussion
Sunglasses for RC FLying

I presently have a pair of prescription, bifocal, sunglasses, tinted yellow, like shooters glasses, which seen to work quite well keeping my planes in sight against varying backgrounds
Due to my having had a cataract removed and a new lens inserted, I am now about to get new glasses and new prescription sunglasses for my 83-year old eyes.
I'm wondering what experience other flyers have had using other tints or any other suggestions before I place another order for bifocal sunglasses.
Thanks
jakeluke is offline Find More Posts by jakeluke
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2008, 02:08 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2007
4,722 Posts
That is a very complicated question to answer. I would check with your optician because different colored sunglasses filter different colors. If you get the wrong color, and your plane happens to be painted with one of the colors the sunglasses filters, you could loose orientation very easily. Some color sunglasses filter out colors at the high end of the spectrum while other colors filter out colors at the other. There are some colors that are neutral (don't filter any colors at all) and those are the ones you want. Your optician can steer you in the right direction.

Bill
Sir Raleigh is offline Find More Posts by Sir Raleigh
Old Jun 23, 2008, 02:31 PM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,404 Posts
You might want to check out:

http://www.modelglassesusa.com/

The Innovation glasses for prescription allow a clear lens to be put in and then provide 4 different lens that can be interchanged plus they flip up.
GBR2 is offline Find More Posts by GBR2
Old Jun 23, 2008, 03:52 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,255 Posts
I usually use my regular Oakleys but I have contacts... These work really well!
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored