HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 05, 2008, 09:14 PM
Split S
United States, CA, Rancho Santa Margarita
Joined Jul 2006
2,011 Posts
Something that I found to work good for clearance deals like that, is to take 600 grit sand paper, and fit a strip of the 600 sand paper the whole inner diameter of the fan, then slowly rotate the fan by hand. After a few turns the rubbing should go away. Then balance the fan using a magnetic balancer. I had to do this to one of my expensive carbon fiber fans.
TimJohnson is offline Find More Posts by TimJohnson
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2008, 01:02 PM
santa clarita ca
Joined Jul 2000
893 Posts
Anybody think this plane might make a good home for my Alfa 60mm fan and Don's Wicked Extreme motor??? Room for 2100's?

Thanks
new2heli is offline Find More Posts by new2heli
Old Aug 06, 2008, 04:23 PM
C.H.E.A.P.
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2005
1,346 Posts
Thumbs up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2heli
Room for 2100's?

Thanks
There is. I fit a 3s2100 without cutting a thing. However, this was just to see if it would. Possibilities for you speed demons....

I flew the model with a Team Orion Avionics 910mah pack, and it did better than my other packs which have higher capacities. Great battery, only I want more of them!

My maiden flight went like this: A stalled (high alpha) toss from my flying buddy got it in the air, and to my surprise, it climbed right out of it!!! It was on step almost immediately, and we guesstimated 55mph straight and level. That is fast considering the size of the plane; it gets small quick!

I played with stalling it, high alpha flight, rolls, and loops. I have the tail travels cranked up high, yet the rolls are slower than the plane in Tim's video. Loops are sooooo cool in that at the top of them I would pull full up and the F-4 looked as if it were thrust vectoring around the remainder. It actually flies in high alpha well. Just stay up high until you're used to it. BTW, this model doesn't torque roll, but it looks wicked in a stand still vertical stall regime-wandering around with no air flowing over it.

FUN FUN FUN!!!
Mike
MICKEL is offline Find More Posts by MICKEL
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Inverza33
Old Aug 07, 2008, 01:55 AM
santa clarita ca
Joined Jul 2000
893 Posts
Good to know, Thanks.
new2heli is offline Find More Posts by new2heli
Old Aug 07, 2008, 07:53 AM
Split S
Joined Jul 2006
2,011 Posts
If you use the 2100mah battery pack you will need to add weight to the tail to balance the airplane. Under the vertical stab there is plenty of room for led. You will need to add the weight before you glue the vertical in place.
Old Aug 08, 2008, 02:37 PM
JSF pilot
USA, TX, Keller
Joined Apr 2006
487 Posts
Tim,
I sent you a PM about that fan. Did you ever find one to send?

Randy
flyingrandy55 is offline Find More Posts by flyingrandy55
Old Aug 08, 2008, 02:43 PM
Split S
Joined Jul 2006
2,011 Posts
Randy, can you pm me your address again? I received the package back stating wrong zip code.
Old Aug 08, 2008, 03:28 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICKEL
It actually flies in high alpha well. Just stay up high until you're used to it. BTW, this model doesn't torque roll, but it looks wicked in a stand still vertical stall regime-wandering around with no air flowing over it.

FUN FUN FUN!!!
Mike
OK, Mine tended to stick in high alpha that was so stable I had a hard time upsetting it. It was a little odd at first to say the least. It's not like this is a lifting body or F-18. Very cool how stable the F-4 actually is.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Aug 08, 2008, 07:18 PM
JSF pilot
USA, TX, Keller
Joined Apr 2006
487 Posts
Joe, I am guessing that you kept it stock? In other words "light"? That looks like what the factory is trying to do. It looks like that a "stock" build will be plenty fast for a park size field.
I have no dobut that the guru's here will mod the fire out of this machine because it has great potential.
Can't wait to fly mine, waiting on another fan.

Randy
Old Aug 08, 2008, 07:51 PM
C.H.E.A.P.
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2005
1,346 Posts
Seriously! This is one stable plane. I could fly an entire pack inverted, or at 45 degrees!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 09, 2008, 07:35 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,529 Posts
Picked up one of these today at a swap shop, new in box, for a great price. Looks to be an easy build; can't wait to get started! I will run the fan up slowly before assembly, just as I did with the Hyperflow fan in my L-39.

I'm sure the stock speed will be fine; I don't have to have mine break 100 MPH to be happy. What can I say, I'm easy to please...

I haven't even taken the fuse out of the protective bubble wrap. Is there any cooling ducts provided to have air flow over the battery? Has anyone done an amp draw yet?
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 09, 2008, 09:43 PM
C.H.E.A.P.
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2005
1,346 Posts
No cooling, but should be easy to add.

I watt-metered 15.8a @ 175 watts with the Team Orion pack. Plenty of power I must say.

(My auw is 14.675oz)
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2008, 08:42 PM
JSF pilot
USA, TX, Keller
Joined Apr 2006
487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimJohnson
Randy, can you pm me your address again? I received the package back stating wrong zip code.

Yo Tim,

I would buy a 5 bladed impellor from ya. I need that fan. No one has the stock fan in inventory.

Like I said, I just need the fan and I CAN purchase it if needed. I hate to change out the whole fan assembly if not needed, but I may have to if I can't get the fan for this housing.

Anyone else having problems with the fan blades breaking off?

Randy
Old Aug 16, 2008, 09:22 PM
Split S
Joined Jul 2006
2,011 Posts
Randy, I am worried, you did not receive the fan? I sent that thing back to you. It should not have taken more that 3 or 4 days......
Old Aug 16, 2008, 09:40 PM
SoCal, Year Round Flying!
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Picked one up today from Ultimatehobbies, looks extremely nice!
No ailerons is weird but looks like it flys well in the video despite such small elevon surfaces. I'll give it a shot.
I think if you modify this jet with big power(heavier AUW) you best add ailerons and convert the the tail to normal elevator function, should be fairly easy to do.
The ducting and fan install is much nicer/smoother/better designed then the A-6.
The included wiremesh screen over the cheaterhole hides it well.
I checked the rotors balance but its so small its hard to tell, if anything its only a tiny bit off anyway. Put it on straight and make sure it doesn't rub is probably the better way to go instead of worrying about the balance.
Sure is a pretty jet.
Bruce
bmiller is offline Find More Posts by bmiller
RCG Plus Member