HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2008, 01:53 PM
Every flight is a maiden!
USA, CA, Fairfield
Joined Jul 2007
880 Posts
Its finished, decals and everything! It was a very quick build!

I was out at the field today staring at the wind sock that was being stretched by 25+ mph winds so no maiden today...
johnm15141 is offline Find More Posts by johnm15141
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2008, 02:03 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,598 Posts
The aero club has moved and the field is closed so the base commander gave us permission to use the closed runway and ramp.

Hey John, any chance you cold get any of us civies in to fly on the base? I'd love to shoot some review pics or even videos there ... or would the cameras get me tackled to the ground!

If you wanna fly that F4, you can come over my way. I have a field behind my development where you could maiden it and it doesn't get as windy here usually!
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite Allusive 2.2M
Old Jul 27, 2008, 03:36 PM
USA, CA, Fairfield
Joined Jul 2007
880 Posts
That can be arranged! If I can't sign you in so you can drive on base, we can transfer everything to my Chevy Tahoe. The runway is nice and long, I plan to maiden my Deuces Wild there so I don't have to worry about landing speeds or rolling distance.

The aero club is on the opposite side of the the base from the main flight line so photography is no problem. The aero club consists of a Quonset Hut hanger and a small building next to the parking ramp. There still a Helo pad there for the base hospital but its really only for emergencies so its rarely ever used. Also, there's a nice little museum that you should see on base. B-52, B-29, C-124, DC-3, F-84, F-103, and loads more....just say when!

I will be taking my Phantom to work with me tomorrow and if the wind breaks I will head out to the old aero club at lunch time and try a maiden flight.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 04:08 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,598 Posts
COOL! Lets make it a date, eh?!

That would be wayyyyyyy coool!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 28, 2008, 01:13 AM
JSF pilot
USA, TX, Keller
Joined Apr 2006
487 Posts
Tim,
I completed my F-4 today. I decided to run the fan before I sealed it up in the body/wing. Two of the fan blades broke off of the rotor. I believe that it was either rubbing or out of balance? Where can I get another 5 bladed fan to replace this broken one?

Also any tips in order NOT to do this again? It seemed like there were some hard plastic remains on the back of the blades. Would this be enough to throw it out of balance that bad? I took a 300 grit sandpaper and polished the inlet to remove any roughness that may have draged on the blades. (there was a bit)

BTW AWSOME airplane, cant wait to fly it!

Thanks,
Randy
flyingrandy55 is offline Find More Posts by flyingrandy55
Old Jul 28, 2008, 05:56 PM
Split S
United States, CA, Rancho Santa Margarita
Joined Jul 2006
2,009 Posts
Oh man, what a shame. Give me a call when you get a chance.
TimJohnson is offline Find More Posts by TimJohnson
Old Jul 28, 2008, 06:30 PM
JSF pilot
USA, TX, Keller
Joined Apr 2006
487 Posts
Not a problem, PM me your #.

Yes the inlet had some plastic "burs" in it. The 300 grit polished them out, now it is smooooth! So I dont think I will have anymore problems once I get another fan.

Randy
flyingrandy55 is offline Find More Posts by flyingrandy55
Old Aug 01, 2008, 11:09 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,822 Posts
Any more reports on this plane? I want one but am trying to pare down my hanger as it is full!
Gary
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Aug 01, 2008, 11:12 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,598 Posts
Hey John, did you ever maiden yours at Lagoon? I am planning on flying there Saturday and will hopefully have another new Kyosho of my own to bring along...provided I can stay away from the keyboard long enough today to get it finished!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2008, 05:19 PM
USA, CA, Fairfield
Joined Jul 2007
880 Posts
Haven't maidened it yet, today is the first day the wind is below 20 Mph in over a week, it should be okay tomorrow, I'll be there to maiden it!
Old Aug 02, 2008, 03:32 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,598 Posts
Great day for a maiden, eh John?!

Here are a few photos and I'll let you describe the maiden.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2008, 03:56 PM
USA, CA, Fairfield
Joined Jul 2007
880 Posts
Thanks for taking and posting those pictures! They look great!

It was a great day to maiden. I'll fly it again tomorrow. I'm going to increase the throws on the elevons. Then, I'm going to take a bamboo skewer split it in half and glue the halves in parallel on the belly to help protect it on the landings. It lands very easy but it sure takes a beating! There's just not much material there to protect it.

It was very easy to fly, it just needs a nice arc from the hand launch to build up speed then a nice climb out.

Its loud!

(PS I don't know what happened but the winds are back! I went out on sunday and the winds were above 25 Mph, Jon you picked the best day to come out and visit! Saturday was perfect, Sunday was terrible! I flew my Ultrastick 25e but landing was a trial!)
Last edited by johnm15141; Aug 03, 2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old Aug 05, 2008, 08:06 PM
C.H.E.A.P.
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2005
1,344 Posts
Nice flying shots guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingrandy55
Tim,
I decided to run the fan before I sealed it up in the body/wing. Two of the fan blades broke off of the rotor. I believe that it was either rubbing or out of balance? Where can I get another 5 bladed fan to replace this broken one?

Also any tips in order NOT to do this again? Randy
I can relate. Mine rubbed in one spot too Tim. I removed/replaced the impellor a couple times as to find the best fit.

I ran it up before assembly also (something I've learned from previous experiences) and it "burned" right in. A little material was shaved at the contact point; no bother. This models auw is only 15oz, so it is gonna fly great!!! Maiden tomorrow!

Kudos Kyosho!
MICKEL is offline Find More Posts by MICKEL
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Inverza33
Old Aug 05, 2008, 08:17 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,402 Posts
How is the high alpha control authority? My Edo F-4 doesn't have full flying elevators either and kinda sticks in a high alpha position and it's hard to get a response.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Aug 05, 2008, 08:22 PM
USA, CA, Fairfield
Joined Jul 2007
880 Posts
I read the "Fan breaking" post as well, I was also worried that my F-4 is going to do that? I also read and learned a few things from Jon Barnes excellent review of the Kyosho F-16.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=866346

I decided I needed a test run before I hurled this "jewel" in front of the local "peanut" gallery. I have a fan I use to clear my garage of hot air in the summer. My wind speed gauge said it was 15 MPH. (Because I was scared that a static edf power run would be bad!) I held my F-4 in front of the fan paying careful attention to the screened cheater hole. Ran it up to 3/4 throttle, holy-crap is was loud! So I got some ear plugs and did it again. I wanted to make sure the fan spun freely or if not it would fit itself similar to Jons review. No worries! It worked well, at 3/4 throttle the air coming out was 50 Mph!

Hey I know Wilbur and Orville would laugh at me but everything went well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICKEL
Nice flying shots guys!

I can relate. Mine rubbed in one spot too Tim. I removed/replaced the impellor a couple times as to find the best fit.

I ran it up before assembly also (something I've learned from previous experiences) and it "burned" right in. A little material was shaved at the contact point; no bother. This models auw is only 15oz, so it is gonna fly great!!! Maiden tomorrow!

Kudos Kyosho!
Last edited by johnm15141; Aug 05, 2008 at 08:30 PM.