HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2008, 02:05 PM
Joined Jul 2006
446 Posts
Discussion
VIP Racer (Was: What Pylon Racer to get?)

I ordered a FVK Boomerang pylon racer from Soaring USA last night, it will be my second racer, after a Sokol. For those of you who have built one, what servos would be good, I'm a bit leary of using HS-55s in such a fast plane, but that also seems to be the most often used servo. Next, is Spektrum usable in the model, preferable a 6100, or I can toss a Berg 4l in there, if there is too much CF. Third, I'm looking to push this one about to 100, maybe 90 propped down, and up to 120 with a bigger prop, what motors would be good? Last, any tips/suggestions for the build?

*******Soaring USA was out of Boomerangs, I'm looking for a different model, preferable below $200, and ~30" span, fully molded would be nice too. Sport flying only.
efinkg is offline Find More Posts by efinkg
Last edited by efinkg; Oct 13, 2008 at 07:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2008, 10:59 AM
Julian T
Fleet, UK
Joined Jun 2005
520 Posts
I have a Boomerang and a VIP and both are very nice models. Space in the Boomerang is very tight indeed and unless you use a very slim aileron servo you will not squeeze a 3s lipo of reasonable capacity to support the current draw in there. I use a HS55 in my VIP and have done for 3 years with no problems at all - amazing performance really. Whilst I can comfortably get a TP PL 2100 3s in the VIP I can only get a 2s in the Boomerang. I am currently running mine on a Hacker B20 12L and 4.1x4.1 prop but it could do with more power. Still, it is probably good for 90-100 mph. The VIP I estimate at about 120 on 3s power and Hacker B20 15L.

I will be interested to hear how you get on, and any other input you get.

Julian

Oh, and watch out for aileron flutter - I had to use some silicon adhesive spread very carefully along the top hinge to cure mine, and there was no play at all in the linkages.
juliant is offline Find More Posts by juliant
Old Jun 23, 2008, 12:48 PM
Joined Jul 2006
446 Posts
Well, I just got a call from SUSA, they are out of the Boomerang, and won't have any in for 3-4 weeks. Any suggestions for a good replacement? I'd prefer a cost <$200, and about a 30", all-molded plane. Thanks. (I'm looking at the Sprint, the Quick, Adrenaline, or Stinger)
Last edited by efinkg; Jun 23, 2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 02:14 PM
Oakland/Berkeley CA
Joined Oct 2007
83 Posts
Are you sure that you want a 30" plane? After flying a bunch of 30-inch pocket rockets, I am now moving into f5d with the Sunracer. It is a nice, straight flying model, large enough so that you can actually see it. It is a little more than you want to spend, but it is really worth it.

I have crashed it now 3 times, and was able to fix it every time. The first crash was radio failure, the second was due to flying too late into the sunset, and the last was due to landing in a tree. I had another spectacular crash this weekend when I had a wing servo pop off. Plane is otherwise fine, since the fuse has so many layers of fiberglass after repairs that I can lawn dart it without damage! I also use nylon wing bolts- a real lifesaver compared to metal pins in other models.

If you don't want to spend the extra $70, you might also consider the Hummer. Mine was insane, and flew quite nicely if you could get past the torque roll on launch.
huantran is offline Find More Posts by huantran
Old Jun 23, 2008, 02:33 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,587 Posts
I really liked my sokol. Lots of room for gear and flys nice.
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Jun 23, 2008, 04:09 PM
Joined Jul 2006
446 Posts
I like mine too, but it's in need of replacement, and I'd like something new.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 09:30 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,587 Posts
I should have read your first post better. FWIW, in the S400 size, I've also got a Quick and Triffik but like the sokol the best. Oh and I just today got a Hummer . It appears to be very well put together but I haven't flown it yet.
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Jun 23, 2008, 10:54 PM
Joined Jul 2006
446 Posts
I'm liking the Stinger 400: http://www.icare-rc.com/stinger.htm, any opinions? Power system suggestions?
Old Jun 24, 2008, 01:05 AM
Bro
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,931 Posts
Pylon

Efinkg;
VIP will put a smile on your face, and is very quick to get going!

Best,
Bob
Bro is offline Find More Posts by Bro
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 24, 2008, 09:30 AM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,585 Posts
Theres a guy on RCU selling a VIP with all thhe hardware for 150 bucks if you're interested, you might check it out
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
Old Jun 24, 2008, 09:47 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efinkg
I'm liking the Stinger 400: http://www.icare-rc.com/stinger.htm, any opinions? Power system suggestions?
Nice looking plane, real hippy/flower power colours!
A good power unit would be a Mega 16/15/3 on a 3s LiPo turning an APC 4.75"x4.75", 'Ballistic flight' is a phrase that comes to mind!
These motors aren't too expensive and can be pushed nearer to 35Amps (with adequate cooling) than the 30A recommended in the manual.
Ben D Wing is offline Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
Old Aug 13, 2008, 01:01 AM
Joined Jul 2006
446 Posts
And we're back to the Boomerang, got one ordered, I think, now we wait.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 11:20 AM
Dog is my co-pilot
USA, CA, Sausalito
Joined Apr 2006
221 Posts
How does this motor NEU-1105-2.5 compare with the Mega 16/15/3 for a pylon racer like the Stinger?

I have the NEU already, but I will get the Mega instead if its a better setup.
longdollar is offline Find More Posts by longdollar
Old Aug 13, 2008, 11:39 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by longdollar
How does this motor NEU-1105-2.5 compare with the Mega 16/15/3 for a pylon racer like the Stinger?

I have the NEU already, but I will get the Mega instead if its a better setup.
Stick with the Neu motor seeing as you already have it, as IMHO it is the better (if more expensive!) of the two, but if I had to buy from new then my personal choice would be the Mega as I don't have too many $$$'s spare! .
My Mega 16/15/3 is currently in a Simprop 'Turn Left' which makes a great compact Hotliner.
Ben D Wing is offline Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
Old Aug 14, 2008, 08:59 AM
Julian T
Fleet, UK
Joined Jun 2005
520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efinkg
And we're back to the Boomerang, got one ordered, I think, now we wait.
Very nice model, though not as strong as a VIP. I will be interested to hear how you get on with battery selection - let us know

Julian
juliant is offline Find More Posts by juliant