HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2008, 02:13 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Oct 2006
2,350 Posts
Discussion
Taking paper off dollar tree foam board

I done a search and I saw there were many number of methods to remove this stuff.. id just like to mention that I just had great luck by setting the foam in warm water for 15 minutes, putting in a half cup of dish liquid and rubbing the paper off. What seems to happen is that as the paper pulls off, it grows in diameter likea snow ball being pushed in the snow, as it gets bigger, there is more lever arm so it pulls even harder.. Not sure if it was just me but it workeed great each time I havve tried it.
ziomatrixacs is offline Find More Posts by ziomatrixacs
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2008, 03:48 PM
"It's a Quad" :O
Temecula
Joined Jul 2004
3,179 Posts
I like the soak the board in 91% alcohol in a plastic bag process.

You only need to coat the board in the bag so about 1/2 of the bottle will work for a few boards. Leave them in the bag for 30 minutes. Take them out and let them dry completly. The paper will fall right off leaving perfect foam.
thewz is offline Find More Posts by thewz
Old Feb 11, 2009, 03:02 AM
USA, OH, Oberlin
Joined Oct 2004
479 Posts
I have found that if you wet it good with water let it dry and you can peel the paper off in one sheet. This doesn't work on all foam but it works for the Rediboard from Dollar Tree.
propjobbill is offline Find More Posts by propjobbill
Old Feb 11, 2009, 04:55 AM
royal oak, michigan
Joined Sep 2004
1,639 Posts
the colored paper side peels rite off....i start by peelin it a lil, then use a dowel rod to roll off. on the other side, soak with windex, let sit a couple minutes, and it lifts rite off, no trobles....
rjarois is offline Find More Posts by rjarois
Old Feb 11, 2009, 11:22 AM
still researching...
Canoga Park, California
Joined Jan 2006
36 Posts
I read on here somewhere to use "Awesome" also available from the dollar tree store. Its an all in one kind of cleaner. Its in a clear spray bottle, and the liquid was orangey yellow in color, like pee.
Anyway that stuff does in fact work "awesome". Spray it on, let it soak in for a minute and it comes off in one sheet. I make sure to hit the edges really well to make sure it peels off easily. In less than 5 minutes you've got a perfect piece of foam.
noneedforanam88 is online now Find More Posts by noneedforanam88
Old Mar 29, 2009, 07:53 PM
Joined Aug 2004
313 Posts
I stripped the paper off 25 sheets of Dollar Tree foam today in less than an hour.
I dammed up one end of a large yard plastic trash bag with a 2 x 4.
Used one gallon of denatured alcohol from H/D...
Dumped in about a pint,
added a sheet of foam, alc., foam, alc...yada yada....
dumped in the rest of the gallon... waited 40 mins..
Half of the sheets the paper was curling off...The rest pealed with ease..Perfect Foam!

Dumped the Alc. back into the can.....Salvaged 3 quarts!

Try it ... you'll love it....Dart.
poweredlawndart is offline Find More Posts by poweredlawndart
Old Mar 29, 2009, 09:18 PM
I just want to fly
USA, IN, Jeffersonville
Joined Aug 2008
690 Posts
use awsome kitchen cleaner spray a hefty amount and then just pull the paper off its that fast thats all i use theres no waiting and it gets ALL the paper off in one sheet each side
justwanttofly is offline Find More Posts by justwanttofly
Old Mar 29, 2009, 10:00 PM
Joined Aug 2004
313 Posts
Gotta try that tomorrow....Probably doesn't smell as bad! Still have 25 sheets to do...bought a case..Thanks for the TIP!
poweredlawndart is offline Find More Posts by poweredlawndart
Old Mar 30, 2009, 01:17 AM
USA, OH, Oberlin
Joined Oct 2004
479 Posts
I DID THE ORIGINAL POST ABOUT AWSOME. I found as stated if you soak it good you can peal it off in almost no time, or you can wet the paper down and set it aside to dry. Once it is dry you simply flex the foamboard and the paper literally pops lose from the foam and falls off. What I like best is the very low oder and it cost almost nothing per sheet for the Awsome. I tried the alcohol a few years ago and in some cases it didn't get the foam completely clean, (maybe it was just me being in a hurry) but I really love the way Awsome works
propjobbill is offline Find More Posts by propjobbill