HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2008, 11:40 AM
Kingsland, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2000
2,406 Posts
Discussion
HAWKEYE The Portable Aerial Photography System

Have you ever wished you could pack your AP plane in your suitcase to take on trips, or had a system that was easily adaptable to a variety of cameras? Would you like a plane that even if your radio system fails will still gently land your expensive camera, and is virtually indestructable, and impossible to tip stall? One that can be flown out of your hand back to you hand, thus requiring no runway? One that can manueverer within the space of a baseball field infield? A plane that can take videos or photographs facing forward or horizontally at will, and is capable of up to an 1/2 pound payload? Watch the video and you will see one. or visit www.electricflights.com

Hawkeye Camera Plane (9 min 55 sec)
Joel K. Scholz is offline Find More Posts by Joel K. Scholz
Last edited by Joel K. Scholz; Aug 30, 2009 at 07:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2008, 12:10 PM
Joined Mar 2001
2,624 Posts
Interesting. How much?

TT
t-turley is offline Find More Posts by t-turley
Old Jun 20, 2008, 01:00 PM
Kingsland, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2000
2,406 Posts
I am still doing some cost studies. I have not received a quote from the CNC place as to the cost of the camera bracket. I intend to offer a variety of packages. A ready to fly minus transmitter and battery around $450. This will be more or less plug and play with a laser cut sail, brushless Dualsky 3530-12 motor and Castle Creations controller, HS-81 mg servo and 6 channel Hitec 72 megahertz receiver. It will also include the tilt capable camera mount. I am using the Dualsky 3s x 2200 Lipoly. This is around a 250 watt system.
An Arf around $200.. The camera mount is the biggest unknown. I can make them myself, but I cannot get the finished look I want. I am looking locally for a maker, but I live in a fairly rural area and the choices are limited. Does anyone have a source to make CNC parts like these?
Last edited by Joel K. Scholz; Jun 22, 2008 at 09:55 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 05:34 PM
Darn trees!!!
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Mar 2008
427 Posts
That's cool.

You need to build in an automatic tree extractor into it so that it climbs down the tree when it gets stuck.

That's where my Supercub is right now.
Fairmont is offline Find More Posts by Fairmont
Old Jun 22, 2008, 10:24 AM
Kingsland, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2000
2,406 Posts
I thought I would post a few photos I took. I am pretty new at this so I don't have a large collection. Also some photos showing scale of my plane.
Last edited by Joel K. Scholz; Jun 22, 2008 at 06:03 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 10:44 AM
Darn trees!!!
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Mar 2008
427 Posts
Those are good photos.

I hope your system sells well.
Fairmont is offline Find More Posts by Fairmont
Old Jun 22, 2008, 02:30 PM
Swinger. Heli and planks!
United States, OR, Foster
Joined Mar 2007
940 Posts
This is a neat system! Maybe I should start saving my pennies for one.
BennettOZ84 is offline Find More Posts by BennettOZ84
Old Jun 22, 2008, 02:35 PM
Hillegom, Netherlands
Joined Sep 2001
564 Posts
Hi Joel,
That's a nice design! Can you share the total weight without the camera?
Harm
Harm Botman is offline Find More Posts by Harm Botman
Old Jun 22, 2008, 04:33 PM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,122 Posts
How is the rudder activated?
Tonystott is offline Find More Posts by Tonystott
Old Jun 22, 2008, 04:45 PM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
United Kingdom, England, Farnham
Joined Oct 2005
1,331 Posts
This is exactly the type of setup I'm after.

I'm going on a Round the World trip on 15th Oct and am hoping to take an AP plane with me.

I would be very interested in one.

If you could sell me a prototype I would post shots here as I move from Country to Country....

Paul.
English Electric is offline Find More Posts by English Electric
Old Jun 22, 2008, 05:16 PM
Kingsland, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2000
2,406 Posts
The plane as shown weights 33.75 oz.without my Canon SD800IS attached.27 oz. without the battery and camera. The speed control is a Castle creations 25 and the motor is a Dualsky 3530. As Dr Kiwi will tell you this is a very robust little motor. I am flying an APC 9x6.This includes the tilting camera mount and 3 HS81 mg servos. One servo moves the rudder, one snaps the shutter, and one provides up and down tilt.These servos could probably be lighter, but I am concerned with reliability with my $300 camera abourd and I have never had an HS81 mg fail me. I felt the simpler the system, the less possibility of anything going wrong. If there is one major advantage as to any other system I have seen, aside from portability and durability, is the fact that should you lose all radio signal the plane does not go out of control, but simply glides gently down. By attaching a larger sail you can carry larger payloads. The sail itself is laser cut 3/4 oz spinnaker nylon with a graphite frame. Here is an early video I took.Paul I would be delighted to make you one. Please e-mail me

Early Morning Flight (5 min 14 sec)
Last edited by Joel K. Scholz; Jun 22, 2008 at 05:22 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 06:37 PM
Die noctique
Joined May 2007
951 Posts
Joel K. Scholz thats one great design love the idea of the fold away aspect be great for leaving in the car boot for opportunist moments. Keep me informed of when it goes on sale
Badllarma is offline Find More Posts by Badllarma
Old Jun 22, 2008, 08:18 PM
Kingsland, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2000
2,406 Posts
I am designing the camera mount to work with most point and shoot cameras. I want to post a screen shot of the design here, but cant remember how to do it. I know there is my print screen button, but how to I post this . I moved it from corel to Photoshop before, but don't remember how. Can some one help?
Last edited by Joel K. Scholz; Jun 22, 2008 at 08:42 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 08:41 PM
Joined May 2008
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel K. Scholz
I am designing the camera mount to work with most point and shoot cameras. I want to post a screen shot of the design here, but cant remember how to do it. I know there is my print screen button, but how to I post this . I moved it from corel to Photoshop before, but don't remember how. Can some one help?
After you hit print screen, paste it into a program such as Paint, Corel, Photoshop. Save the image as a jpeg.

Reply here and you will see "Manage Attachment" below the text box.
Browse for the jpeg you saved above and attach to your reply.
barebottoms is offline Find More Posts by barebottoms
Old Jun 22, 2008, 08:43 PM
Kingsland, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2000
2,406 Posts
Thanks Got it .see above