SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by ty_horn, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 09:02 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
Yippee!
Great HD Camera for Aerial Photography

I found this camera on sale at Office Max and I had to take it home and try it out. http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...&pq-path=12417 The Spec sheet said that it weighed 4.1ounces so I knew that my stock Super Cub (with 3 cell lipo and 10x6DD prop) would be able to lift it just fine. After installing the included li-ion battery and 2 GB memory card I weighed it with a digital scale and it came out to be a little over 5 ounces. Not bad. So I strapped it on the Super Cub with rubber bands and gave it a try. WOW! You will see what I mean when you watch the video below. The only thing that I need to do is rig up a servo so I can use it to take pictures. The quality is great for the price. You can't beat a 10 megapixel cam that shoots HD video for $159. I honestly haven't seen any videos that match this quality EVER. I included some quick and rather sloppy pics of how I mount it, but you will get the idea. I was pressed for time. There are 2 main rubber bands holding the cam against the fuselage. The other rubber bands that you see are holding the velcro onto the back of the camera. This way I don't have to stick the velcro to the camera screen. The rubber bands are good enough but the velcro is for cheap insurance

By the way, This Super Cub is flown with all of the stock electronics with exception to the lipo and prop. Did you notice in the video how smooth it flew even with the extra weight? The entire flight was at half throttle or less except for the take off.

I have been asked how I compensate for the weight gain on the left side of the plane when the camera is attached Here is my secret... I do absolutely nothing to compensate for the weight gain. The only thing that I noticed is that it takes 3 clicks to the right on rudder for level flight at full throttle. At half throttle, it takes 2 clicks to the right from center for level flight. That is it!!!

This plane weighs in at 896 grams which is 31.6ounces and it flies great on the stock motor/gearbox with 3 cell, 1800 lipo and 10x6DD prop.

Here is the spec page http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_US

First HD Video Onboard My Super Cub (5 min 47 sec)

HD Video onboard super cub over corn fields (4 min 10 sec)

Flying over new church building before renovation HD vid (4 min 15 sec)
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Last edited by ty_horn; Dec 05, 2008 at 11:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2008, 09:39 PM
USA, NY, Buffalo
Joined Dec 2007
619 Posts
Great video! Awesome quality. That Super Cub looked like it didn't even know that camera was on there. $159 is a steal!
thrashmaster71 is offline Find More Posts by thrashmaster71
Old Jun 19, 2008, 10:00 PM
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
Yeah, actually I really liked the way that it flew with the weight on it. It was super solid and stable. It flew more like a balsa plane and I was still able to do a couple nice loops. They weren't very wide but they were still loops :-)
Old Jun 19, 2008, 10:18 PM
Calif*
Joined Sep 2006
2,141 Posts
Time to crash my Canon A560 & upgrade again.
Jack Crossfire is offline Find More Posts by Jack Crossfire
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The ultimate travel fan
Old Jun 20, 2008, 04:54 AM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,266 Posts
For the wt.its the BEST quality vid. that i have seen,thanks.Its on my list ...RTR
realtimerecon is offline Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Old Jun 20, 2008, 08:11 AM
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
I have been asked how I compensate for the weight gain on the left side of the plane when the camera is attached Here is my secret... I do absolutely nothing to compensate for the weight gain. The only thing that I noticed is that it takes 3 clicks to the right on rudder for level flight at full throttle. At half throttle, it takes 2 clicks to the right from center for level flight. That is it!!!
Old Jun 21, 2008, 10:57 AM
AMA 125691
Jacksonville Florida
Joined Jul 2002
2,240 Posts
Great video! I saw a water tower off in the distance. It would be cool to get some video circling around it.
wmcneal is offline Find More Posts by wmcneal
Old Jun 21, 2008, 05:04 PM
Procrashtinating Builder
about 12" from my computer in Jacksonville Fl.
Joined May 2004
1,292 Posts
Absolutely fantastic pictures! The quality was great! If we could just find a way to get rid of the motor sounds.... oh, yea- that's what the Microsoft Video Maker is for!

Kudos on the vid.... I was looking for a new camera, looks like I found it!
mastrsn is offline Find More Posts by mastrsn
Old Jun 21, 2008, 05:50 PM
Procrashtinating Builder
about 12" from my computer in Jacksonville Fl.
Joined May 2004
1,292 Posts
mastrsn is offline Find More Posts by mastrsn
Old Jun 29, 2008, 10:36 PM
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
Actually the motor sound is really cool but all you can hear is the wind in that vid :-)
I put tape over the mic but that didn't help. I figured out the only way to get rid of the terrible sound is to put a wind block on the entire front side of the cam. All I have to do is stick a small piece of bend roof flashing behind it so it gets wedged behind the camera and bends in front of it to block the wind. It is super fun to hear the motor changing speed once you finally get rid of the wind :-)
Old Aug 06, 2008, 12:30 AM
don't miss with my sky
San Ramon ,CA
Joined Mar 2008
193 Posts
the movie is great , this cam on the SC is a great combination ,actually the best i have ever seen
will i be the first one to ask was u really over the clouds ?,
i believe u was way over 500
was it easy to see it at this altitude?
have fun
Samy
samymmk is offline Find More Posts by samymmk
Old Aug 06, 2008, 07:35 AM
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
I was really lucky that day and there was a super thick fog. As the fog lifted, it turned into low level clouds. I actually lost the plane in the clouds a few times:-) I have always wanted to fly in the clouds but now that I have done it once, I am satisfied. It was a little too scary to ever do it again.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 09:53 AM
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
Edit: oops.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 02:44 AM
Leeds, UK
Joined Nov 2004
1,433 Posts
hi TY - i've found a camera but it's at 140grams.... is that too heavy for a stock cub LP?
muscleflex is offline Find More Posts by muscleflex
Old Oct 23, 2010, 06:23 PM
de
Joined Oct 2010
9 Posts
crazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzyyyyyyyyyyy
vid
taffyearchewer is offline Find More Posts by taffyearchewer