Old Jun 19, 2008, 06:06 PM
Swinger. Heli and planks!
United States, OR, Foster
Joined Mar 2007
941 Posts
Build Log
Micro Telemaster! Coming soon to a sky near "ME"

Hey all...

I just received my order from Hobbycity.com and I am ready to start my build of the Micro Telemaster from hobby lobby. I picked this kit up on sale at my local hobby shop and started looking for supplies to build it.

This little plane is going to be in honor of my father, (who is still with us) but has inspired me in oh so many ways in life. My father has had a love for aviation from the time he was a small child and is still very involved in aviation and his interest will never cease to end. Because of my fathers passion and love for aviation it has given me a chance to also find a love and passion for not only model and radio controlled aviation, but flight in general.

So this build will again be done for my father, in his business colors, Blue and orange, because he has also dedicated his time and energy into creating a successful business and with this he has been able to provide and support his family by keeping a roof over our heads, food on the table, and putting my brother and I through college. This will only be a small token of my appreciation that I have for my father.

Keep posted for build updates!

BennettOZ84 is offline Find More Posts by BennettOZ84
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2008, 08:05 PM
Pasco County Florida
Joined Dec 2006
1,111 Posts
Be extremely careful when building and covering the main wing. My micro wing was dead flat when built and covered. A few days later the wing had developed a twist. I can remove the twist with a heat gun and opposite twisting of the wing. However, the twist comes back a day to a few days later.

The twist is the equivalent of having ailerons out of adjustment on a plane. The little rudder just barely has enough authority to let the plane fly straight in one direction.

The Micro Telemaster is a fun little plane... when the wing is flat. It is just too much trouble to flatten the wing on mine each time I want to fly it. Shame, because like I said, it was a fun little flyer.

Bob
Bayward is offline Find More Posts by Bayward
Old Jun 20, 2008, 12:35 AM
Joined Mar 2007
941 Posts
Bob,

Thank you for the advice. I will make sure that when I cover it, I do it on a slow and low heat with heat gun. Its small enough I should be able just to use a iron to take down the sides and man handle it tight enough maybe.

This thing looks awesome. It will only be my second rudder/elevator plane as I have always flown with ailerons, I am sure my little setup will do it nice. I hope!

Again, thanks for the words of advice.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 03:30 AM
1 paycheck away from homeless
United States, KS
Joined Mar 2006
4,574 Posts
Very nice. I hope my son some day has the respect for me that you do for your Dad.
ghostmechanic is offline Find More Posts by ghostmechanic
Old Jun 20, 2008, 10:09 AM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,327 Posts
I absolutely love my little micro telemaster. It's phonemenally easy to fly and repair if necessary. Make sure to add some velcro or servo tape for the battery, this plane doesn't like it when your battery slips too far forward.

I flew 2 1/2 batteries out last night on this plane. I'm running a Welgard 2204 (with a built up mount) and it plugs this plane along very well on 2s with an 8x4 prop. On 3s and a 7x3 prop this plane is a hoot.
danrc is offline Find More Posts by danrc
Old Jun 20, 2008, 10:10 AM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,327 Posts
Consider reinforcing the wing with a carbon fiber rod instead of the supplied balsa spar. It'll add some strength.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 01:51 PM
Joined Mar 2007
941 Posts
Danrc, Do you have a picture by chance of the inserted carbon fiber rod?

I am excited to start on this project, however, it will be either this weekend or next week before I start gluing!

Thanks for the posts!
Old Jun 20, 2008, 01:59 PM
Joined Mar 2007
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostmechanic
Very nice. I hope my son some day has the respect for me that you do for your Dad.
Ghost,

Children will love and respect their parents no matter what for the most part. I make this bold statement because through my education and my time in the field working with at risk and high risk juveniles they may blame their parents for their problems, but when YOU or someone else tries to blame their parents or tries to take their parents from them, they will be the first to say, Its not my parents fault or something along those lines.

Juveniles and young teens don't have the skills or cognitive skill for them to physically or emotionally show how much they care and appreciate the ones that raise them. I think its possible that when a child is young say 2 or 3 they realize how important a parent is in their life, and by the age of 5 and 6 they are drawing pictures of their families with heart shapes on it. after age 8 until they become mature adults, juveniles and young adults seem to lose the abilities to show face and express true emotions.

Well those are just my thoughts!
Old Jun 20, 2008, 11:43 PM
Joined Mar 2007
941 Posts
Update #1

I got my ESC and motor wired up! nothing special, but hey I am getting lots better at soldering!

Old Jun 21, 2008, 05:42 AM
A.K.A sir Crashalot
Ístersund, SWEDEN
Joined Sep 2005
905 Posts
Bennet: Nice reading this since i got 2 eens and 2 small children.
seems to be right on spot.

Anyone: i got this twisted wing och a SA-cap. what to do if i dont want to straighten it out evetrytime i want to take it to the filed?
Recover it i suppose but what do i need to keep in mind? Have i just stretched the film too tight ?

/Ulf
methuso is offline Find More Posts by methuso
Old Jun 21, 2008, 04:31 PM
Montreal St. Hilaire, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
168 Posts
BennettOZ84 i will be looking at you build i'm planing on buying one soon....one question what is your motor, battery and esc for this little plan
Thanks
Lutin is offline Find More Posts by Lutin
Old Jun 22, 2008, 02:08 PM
Joined Mar 2007
941 Posts
Lutin, thanks I realized just now I didn't say what I was using for gear.

Motor: hexTronik 16gram Brushless Outrunner with an 8x3.5 prop - hobbycity.com

ESC: Supersimple 18A speed controller. -hobbycity.com

battery: Tenergy 2cell 7.4 1250mAh. or maybe a Deans power 2cell 7.4 930mAh because its closer to what the motor says it can handle.

RX: Berg Stamp 4

Servo: 4.3gram

I may move it up to a 21gram brushless outrunner, that I have from BPhobbies.com depending on what I think after i get it all put together. I used a 18amp ESC so I could change to a bigger motor if needed.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 07:30 PM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,327 Posts
Bennett, I don't have the spar in, but I just mention it b/c I'm constantly am breaking the spar when I put the wing on via rubber bands!
I use a 21 gram motor from graysons (same as the BP motor I believe, 2204) I get some awesome performance from it on 7.4v 2cell batteries and amazing performance on 11.1 3s 500mah batteries. I was dogfighting with several redwinged blackbirds this weekend and won the day by snapping off some inverted flight wing overs. You're going to love this plane.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 07:32 PM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,327 Posts
i'll try to get you some pics of the plane. Beware I had to rebuild the nose section completely after I had a crystal fall out and lost complete control. It was completely salvageable, but I wanted it to look pristine. It really 'can' land itself without power. Be sure to put velcro in for the battery, I didn't and it slid forward thus causing a more 'nose down' crash. Otherwise this plane has never tasted pavement in well over 30 flights.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 12:14 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,927 Posts
How is the build progressing? Got pics?
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed