HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2003, 10:21 AM
Motley crewmember
Melbourne,Fl
Joined Sep 2002
393 Posts
European satellite TV

Can anyone help me with determining what is available via satellite in Europe?
Specifically, can I receive American TV broadcasts while there every summer, I hate watching the golf tournaments a week after they were played.
Appreciate any advice you can provide.
Thanks
R2800 is offline Find More Posts by R2800
Old Jan 25, 2003, 07:48 PM
I "plant" trees (balsa)
Eisenschmitt, Germany
Joined Jan 2002
777 Posts
In Germany you can not receive normal American broadcasts of golfing. Premier (pay TV) does have several sport channels which often carry golf matches from around the world.

The big question is why in the world one would want to watch golf on TV while in Europe during the summer. Why not watch bikinis or some other worthwhile endevor?
Gary Retterbush is offline Find More Posts by Gary Retterbush
Old Jan 25, 2003, 08:39 PM
Motley crewmember
Melbourne,Fl
Joined Sep 2002
393 Posts
"The big question is why in the world one would want to watch golf on TV while in Europe during the summer. Why not watch bikinis or some other worthwhile endevor?"
Gary Retterbush

Well, for 2 or 3 weeks we go to the south of France and I try not to get caught looking at the topless sunbathers. Is that worthwhile?
Hmmmmmmmmmm, I guess things have changed for your generation. When I was young my Mother would tell all her friends that I had "stayed out of trouble" (???) because I built models. Are you not building enough?

But anyway, I watch a few other things too, when my wife is not watching me but I miss not having that vast repertoire (not just sports)on American TV. In Europe you watch the Tour de France or some Grand Prix in the summer and thats about it.
What do the GIs over there watch? Just European TV or tapes?
Old Jan 26, 2003, 03:06 AM
I "plant" trees (balsa)
Eisenschmitt, Germany
Joined Jan 2002
777 Posts
You wrote:
Well, for 2 or 3 weeks we go to the south of France and I try not to get caught looking at the topless sunbathers. Is that worthwhile?

You bet your bippy it is! It trains the eyes which helps with flying. For example; it trains the eyes to follow a fast moving object(s) while being distracted by other fasinating objects. It teaches one to focus quickly in difficult lighting situations and to keep your eyes on the "ball". I could go on and on but that should answer the question.

Secondly, I'm not sure which generation you are taking about as I'm from 1936 which I seem to remember was a very good year!

As for what the GI's watch, it is mostly AFN which is very limited in scope. BTW, in case you didn't notice, I am a retired USAF pilot.

As to whether a sport is worth watching or not seems to depend a lot on personal choices. I sort of like the international mumblety peg championships myself!

Finally, I receive over 550 channels on my SAT receiver. Is that not a vast repertoire?
Last edited by Gary Retterbush; Jan 26, 2003 at 03:19 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2003, 04:21 AM
San jose, CA
Joined Jun 2000
426 Posts
I simply can not concieve watching TV (especially GOLF) while in Europe for only a couple weeks out of the year. I'd rather watch some grass grow...amidst some ancient Roman ruins or something.

Rick
tempest411 is offline Find More Posts by tempest411
Old Jan 26, 2003, 05:56 AM
Motley crewmember
Melbourne,Fl
Joined Sep 2002
393 Posts
Gary, I'm 8 months older than you so I know all about the 1936 crop! Good sites by the way.
And I guess a 500 channel Sat deal is the way to go, just have to keep working on my French and German.

And Rick, I'm in Switzerland 3 months a year, France for 2-3 weeks of that. And I think I've already seen those Roman ruins.
There are some great ones in Switzerland by the way. Those Romans got around.

Vince Neil
Old Jan 26, 2003, 06:31 AM
I "plant" trees (balsa)
Eisenschmitt, Germany
Joined Jan 2002
777 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by R2800
(big snip)
And I think I've already seen those Roman ruins.
There are some great ones in Switzerland by the way. Those Romans got around.

Vince Neil
Yeap, they sure did and it was all because they were following the bikinis.

Heck, they even built the oldest city in Germany (Trier) here by me just so they keep an eye on the Mosel Wine and the local gals who sunbathed along the river! Little known historical fact.