HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2008, 04:18 PM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,644 Posts
Discussion
Byron A-4 Skyhawk EDF conversion

Well, I've finally got my new shop together and starting on my next project. This is my Byron A-4 Skyhawk that has hung from the rafters for about 12 or so years. The club I used to belong to outlawed DF's as it was being built - so it has never been finished, but I could never get rid of it as it is my favorite aircraft. I quit that club and was away from the hobby for 5 or so years, then I got back into it with GWS P-51.

So it was already half built, and the conversion should be a piece of cake. I already have the Hacker A50-14S motor and the CC HV 85 ESC. I will be using 10S. Probably 2 5S packs of Flightpower EVO 25 5000 mah. The second grey skyhawk is another kit I picked up. It will get a conversion at a later date.
skyhawk is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2008, 05:23 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,924 Posts
Looks great!!! Have est. RTF weight?
Bob
bruff is online now Find More Posts by bruff
Last edited by bruff; Jun 17, 2008 at 05:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 17, 2008, 05:55 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,300 Posts
That sure brings back memories!

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Jun 18, 2008, 12:15 AM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,644 Posts
Bob,
I'm hoping to come out at 11.5 lbs that would be just 1 lb more than the Byron recommended weight. Part of my problem is I doubled up the engine former and a few others as the original pieces didn't last long with an OS 91 and a buch of glow fuel. I also added some mounting platforms as I hate glueing all my components in place (air tanks, fuel tanks, recievers, etc...)
Old Jun 18, 2008, 12:19 AM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,644 Posts
First thing I did was to convert my fan to electric. I won't go into much detail as I just followed Bob's instructions. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606759

I just drilled and tapped the holes in the adapter, then mounted it and locktited the screws in. Then I ground them flush.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 12:23 AM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,644 Posts
Here are the rest of the pics.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 09:03 AM
Swarthmore, PA 19081
Joined Dec 2004
2,838 Posts
Are you going to eliminate cheater and install ducting for intake? Just curious because this was always a big problem with the Byron jets. They ignored everything in front of the fan as if it didn't exist. DB
Doug Bateman is online now Find More Posts by Doug Bateman
Old Jun 18, 2008, 10:08 AM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,924 Posts
On my Byron EDF jets, Top Gun F-15, Byron F-16 & now Byron Mig 15 , no I did not. You don't get an improvement by adding duct work to this fan. Now install a 5" fan different story. The Byron fan needs a lot of air and the only way is with the cheater hole. Now what does help, now there is no glow motor or tune pipe in the way plugging up the forward area. My Byron jets fly just like the glow version but with out the mess or headaches.
Bob

Bob
bruff is online now Find More Posts by bruff
Old Jun 18, 2008, 10:58 AM
Joined Apr 2008
944 Posts
Metal EDF set

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk
Here are the rest of the pics.
Have you seen this type EDF set (attached) before. Even this is only 68mm EDF which is made by full metal (Alu. alloy) with around 85g including back cowling. Only the fan is still used plastic material. But it can be provided the thrusting up to 1.2kg powered by 11.1V (3s Lipo battery) and 4300KV motor. Also this unit has been launched to market after Shanghai Model Show this month. Maybe on or before September, they will put new unit 110mm size to market. you can visit their web-site :www.rclander.com
Tim Wan is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wan
Old Jun 18, 2008, 03:26 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,300 Posts
???????? wot the..
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Aug 29, 2008, 02:29 AM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,644 Posts
Well, it's comming along nicely. Got the damage repaired. Actually - it's not really damage, it's more like I got carried away making it more scale like rotating mains and doors when my skills are not really up to that. I also want a simple, reliable plane. KISS

My new JR 2.4 radio and flightpower packs should be here tommorow - then I can finish the install and major assembly. The foam parts are now glassed and the retracts are in. I had some leaks that took a while to find - but they all work good now. I also made a mount for the ESC - should get good airflow in the cheat hole.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 09:17 AM
Swarthmore, PA 19081
Joined Dec 2004
2,838 Posts
Skyhawk, make sure you break in those Flightpower packs. I have 2 new 4900 5-cell 25C packs that are starting to sag after about 3 minutes flight time. These packs have maybe 4 flights on them. My 2 year old T/P 5000 extremes perform better and i'm pretty pissed off about it. These things are top dollar at Tower hobbies. I have to hook up the meter and find out whats going on. I was flying my Yellow A-4 when the power drop occured so it was a partial low voltage cutoff at full power. I was able to make it back to the field on reduced power. Doug
Doug Bateman is online now Find More Posts by Doug Bateman
Old Aug 29, 2008, 02:45 PM
Sollentuna,Sweden
Joined Sep 2000
425 Posts
Doug

I have PolyRC 4900 25C that also have poor performance. My old Xcell 3900 perform better. Maybe they use the same type of lipo.

Mikael
Mikael is offline Find More Posts by Mikael
Old Aug 29, 2008, 05:25 PM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,644 Posts
Doug,
I fully intend to run these packs through about 3 or 4 times at half throttle or less. I have a 3S 2170 EVO pack that is starting to sag as well. I never knew about a lipo "break in" untill it was too late for that pack. I just spent $600 for a set of batteries and I'm not going to take that lightly!
Old Aug 29, 2008, 05:38 PM
Suspended Account
Bellevue, WA
Joined Feb 2004
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk
Doug,
I fully intend to run these packs through about 3 or 4 times at half throttle or less. I have a 3S 2170 EVO pack that is starting to sag as well. I never knew about a lipo "break in" untill it was too late for that pack. I just spent $600 for a set of batteries and I'm not going to take that lightly!
The A-4 looks good.

To break in the Flight Power packs follow this procedure:
http://www.bvmjets.com/Pages/LiPoBattBreakIn.htm

I purchased the 12S 6400 mAh packs and followed recommend procedure for running them on the ground. I have flown it twice at mostly half throttle and the packs are doing fine. I'm going out tomorrow to put a few more flights on it to get it ready for Ohio.

Kirk
k_sonn is offline Find More Posts by k_sonn