HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 09, 2013, 04:13 PM
If I build it, it will fly
United States, NY, East Rochester
Joined Jan 2012
700 Posts
Early birthday present.

Sadly the only thing I could fly her on is a turnigy 9x TX/RX combo. Not sure if I want to trust it to an $8 RX... Plus I need more Sim time.

~psguardian
psguardian is offline Find More Posts by psguardian
Last edited by psguardian; Mar 09, 2013 at 07:53 PM. Reason: friggin autocorrect
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2013, 09:14 PM
United States, MA, Webster
Joined Feb 2003
2,383 Posts
New guy here .. and pretty confused as to which Swift is the right one for me .. IF "a Right One" exists ?! Have been wanting to put a scale-ish Bell Jet Ranger together for years. Last investigative effort was a Vario Skyfox mechanics in a Vario Fuse. When done, there would be an expenditure of $3,000.00 or more .. kinda really don't want to shuck out that much $$.

A couple of not-to-be-named RCG members have suggested that a Swift 550 NX may be the cool, not a fortune way to go ??

First off, after reading a thousand posts on 5 forums, I still am not clear as to Century's model and part number nomenclature .. The Swift can be a 550 here, and a .30 size there .. a Swift NX here and a 550 Carbon there, so I need help to understand what it is that they are actually selling. One of the kits they offer is a "Real Deal" scale package, which includes the Swift ARF machanics and a pre-painted Jet Ranger fuse. I don't want the ARF mechanics, and I don't want the pre-painted fuse. I think I want the BARE Scale Swift Mechanics, the scale fuse lower mount / battery tray, and a landing gear setup of some sort. My only desire is for this to be a scale-flying machine .. could care less about aerobatics or
3-D. Skill level is intermediate on a bunch of coaxials in the house, hirobo FP SRB, Lite Machines Corona FP in the living room ( and into the burning fireplace, once ! )

Have a Hitec Aurura 9 2.4 Ghz computer TX / RX ..

There are a dozen other questions about power, ESC, Main & tail blades, but I'd like to get some of the major mechanical stuff out of the way first.

Any input you guys can offer will be greatly appreciated .. thanks in advance for your help ..

Russ
MiniBoy is online now Find More Posts by MiniBoy
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:04 AM
United States, IL, Lombard
Joined May 2009
3,378 Posts
Hey Russ! Welcome

The name "Swift" really only refers to their electric 550-sized helis, basically:
  • Swift NX - Current Swift model. Many updates, new larger canopy, 550-size, all plastic/composite.
  • Swift 550 Carbon - Carbon fiber frame version of previous Swift model. A few metal parts, updates, old canopy, 550-size. Rumor has it it's discontinued, but still appears on the website as a current heli.
  • Swift 620 Carbon - Stretched carbon fiber frame version of previous Swift model. More metal parts, updates, longer tail boom, new larger canopy, swings 620mm blades (so 550-size basically, just a little longer). At least one of it's parts has been discontinued (the metal tail case) so I'd say this one is soon-to-be-discontinued, if it hasn't already, but it still appears on the website as a current heli.
  • Swift RTF/Plug & Play - Discontinued. Previous Swift model offered fully assembled with electronics installed (Plug & Play) and with radio gear (RTF). All plastic/composite, single main gear (tail not driven during autos), old canopy, 550-size. Appears on the website under Support --> Discontinued Products --> Large Electric.
  • Swift 16 - Discontinued. The original (aka previous model) Swift. Was offered as a kit, then ARF (partially assembled) option. All plastic/composite, single main gear (tail not driven during autos), old (original) canopy, 550-size. Appears on the website under Support --> Discontinued Products --> Large Electric.
All of the above share many of the same components and can share many of the same upgrade components. There's a few parts that are model specific, but the majority are interchangeable.

Century also offers a newer 640-size electric heli called the Radikal E640, but it's not a Swift and as such none of the parts are compatible with the Swifts. It's larger than a 600, but smaller than a 700.

In addition to the above, Century also offers the Swift mechanics (550 size) in a form suitable for scale models, but something has recently changed on their website and I'm a little confused. If you go to the "Scale Mechanics" section of the website you find "Swift Scale Mechanics" which now uses the older discontinued Swift 16 frame (with single main gear - no driven tail during autos). This option recently used to include the newer Swift NX frame. It appears the Swift NX frame (in a scale mechanics package) is only offered with their Real Deal 550 packages. Things appear to be in flux ... maybe they're using up RTF/Plug&Play parts (recently discontinued) in the scale mechanics package?

That should cover it for the "Swift" line of helis.

Century also offers the following scale mechanics:
  • 600-size electric in 2, 3, 4 and 5 blade versions
  • .30 nitro (compatible with 550 size fuselages)
  • .50 nitro (compatible with 600 size fuselages)
I imagine many of these parts are interchangeable as well.

As far as scale fuselages, they offer:
  • 550-size (for their 550-size and .30 nitro scale mechanics)
  • 600-size (for their 600-size and .50 nitro scale mechanics, and other helis - Align, ThunderTiger, Hirobo, etc.)
  • 700-size (for the discontinued Century Predator and other helis - Align, ThunderTiger, Hirobo, etc.)
  • Radikal Fuselages (for their gassers)
They also have misc. painted canopies (for various pod&boom helis).

I think most (all?) of the scale fuselages are offered in painted and non-painted versions.

Looks like the Real Deal 550 packages, and the Augusta 109A fuselage, are the only scale options using the Swift/NX scale mechanics(?) The rest are for the .30 nitro scale mechanics.

And, for 600-size, it looks like the Real Deal 600 packages, Augusta 109A, AS350 Ecureuil A-Star, Bell 222, and Bell Long Ranger fuselages are the only electric scale options. The rest are for the .50 nitro scale mechanics.

Then there's their whole line of pod&boom nitro helis (Radikal & Hawk Pro) as well as gassers (Radikal G20 and Radikal G30).

Hopefully this helps a little - a high-level intro of sorts. Lots of guys here know WAY more than I do, so I'm sure they'll be offering their expertise very soon ... I'll admit I'm a bit confused over their line-up as well. Maybe somebody from Century can supply a cleaner road-map of their products.

-John
FR4-Pilot is offline Find More Posts by FR4-Pilot
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Mar 10, 2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:04 AM
Committed heli addict...
Joined Jan 2010
675 Posts
Current Electric Kit Models:

Swift NX (550 class)
Swift 640 (600 class with 700 power)

Older Models Still Available or soon to discontinue:

Swift 16 (kit, arf or rtf combo) (550 class)
Swift 550 Carbon (550 class)
Swift 620se Carbon (600 class with near 550 power requirements or better)

Any of the 550 swifts use 4S - 6S, 75-100A esc's with 400-1100KV motors depending on cell count and desired h/s and pinions.
phoenixheli is offline Find More Posts by phoenixheli
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:07 AM
Florida
Joined Nov 2004
6,614 Posts
http://www.heli-world.com/detail.aspx?ID=10766 Jet Ranger, Swift NX, blades, and the scale mechanics platform and cockpit for $357. $200 off!!! Tempted to buy another one at this price... All the other Jet ranger fuselages for the Swift are out of stock....
Greybird is offline Find More Posts by Greybird
Last edited by Greybird; Mar 11, 2013 at 05:19 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:53 AM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,325 Posts
Nice find Greybird...... thanks for posting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybird View Post
http://www.heli-world.com/detail.aspx?ID=10766 Jet Ranger, Swift NX, blades, and the scale mecahics platform and cockpit for $357. $200 off!!! Tempted to buy another one at this price... All the other Jet ranger fuselages for the Swift are out of stock....
simages is online now Find More Posts by simages
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:57 AM
Joined May 2009
3,378 Posts
Quote:
http://www.heli-world.com/detail.aspx?ID=10766 Jet Ranger, Swift NX, blades, and the scale mecahics platform and cockpit for $357. $200 off!!! Tempted to buy another one at this price... All the other Jet ranger fuselages for the Swift are out of stock....
Wow! That's one of the Real Deal 550 packages ... I want to, but I can't. The other Real Deal 550 (Policia) is also discounted at Heli-world ...
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Mar 10, 2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 01:31 PM
If I build it, it will fly
United States, NY, East Rochester
Joined Jan 2012
700 Posts
So I've been thinking about radio modules, and my flying areas. I currently run a Turnigy 9x (w/er9x firmware) & the stock TX module with two diff RXs. I have never had a lock out or glitch, but then I also don't fly out more than 300m & won't be going higher than ~100m either.

Would y'all trust the Turnigy modules? My other thought is go for the FrSky TX/RX kit.

~psguardian
psguardian is offline Find More Posts by psguardian
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:20 PM
Joined Feb 2003
2,383 Posts
Hi John, Simages, Phoenix, GreyBird :

Well .. you've all given me plenty of info, and I thank you for the insight. Still a bit confusing .. Century sure leaves a lot to be desired in the specs and "what's included with what" categories. The "Real Deal" setup seems to come with blades, although it doesn't say what kind, but I'll assume they are woodies. It doesn't say landing gear is included, but I'll assume it is. So after reading threads and the Century and Heli World websites for four hours, here's where I'm at ..

I don't want a painted fuse .. I want to do a custom business paint scheme, but the "Real Deal" isn't available unpainted .. so I'm thinking I will order the "Real Deal" AND an unpainted 550 V2 Jet Ranger fuse. I will need help from you guys as to motor selection, pinion size, but that's going to depend on battery size. I think I'll wait until I get the kit to see what it looks like ..

Seems as that "scale adapter" to mount between the mechanics and the fuse floor will hold a couple of big 4s or 5s packs ?!?

So, motor choice at this stage of the game seems premature ?

I am thinking the motor to be a Scorpion something or other, most likely a low KV device ?

I'll worry about the ESC and Gyro later.

Also, I will probably be interested in selling the "Real Deal" fuse, so if any of you guys are interested, let me know if I should order the "Red" jobby or the "Polizie" version ..

Oh .. brain fart .. would it make any sense to order the CNC aluminum motor mount / mechanics base plate .. rigid, a tad lighter, and better constant pinion to maingear mesh ??

Let me know if I'm on the right track here, or out in left field somewhere ?!?

Thanks in advance again for your input,

Russ
Old Mar 11, 2013, 08:05 PM
Joined May 2009
3,378 Posts
I'm not sure on the size of the 550 fuse, but if I remember correctly the 600 A-Star allows two big 6S packs to be put outside the frame, but inside the belly of the fuse. Maybe a similar situation exists on the 550 ...

I believe many scale guys really like the 800kV range for motors (me too) if using 6S. Allows for a great variety of pinion/head speed choices.

That RED Ranger sure looks pretty

I recommend the metal motor mount - I put them on both of my helis. It can act as a heat sink too. Keep in mind - the Swift NX's plastic motor mount uses 6 thread cutting phillips screws (2 short, 4 long, or vice versa) to secure the mount. The metal mount requires 6 machine thread cap screws, which are not included with the mount (not sure why), so you'll have to acquire those cap screws separately for the NX scale mechanics. I'll have to check on the sizes/lengths. To add some color, the Swift's (non NX) plastic motor mount uses machine thread cap screws and nuts, so those screws are able to be reused with the metal mount.
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Mar 11, 2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 09:26 PM
Joined Feb 2003
2,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR4-Pilot View Post
I'm not sure on the size of the 550 fuse, but I believe the 600 A-Star allows two big 6S packs to be put outside the frame, but inside the belly of the fuse. Maybe a similar situation exists on the 550 ...

I think most scale guys really like the 800kV motors (me too).

That RED Ranger sure looks pretty

I recommend the metal motor mount - I put them on both of my helis. It can act as a heat sink too. Keep in mind - the Swift NX's plastic motor mount uses 6 thread cutting phillips screws (2 short, 4 long) to secure the mount. The metal mount requires 6 machine thread cap screws, which are not included with the mount (not sure why), so you'll have to acquire those cap screws separately. I'll have to check on the sizes/lengths. To add some color, the Swift's (non NX) plastic motor mount uses machine thread cap screws and nuts, so those are able to be reused.
Thanks for the comments, John.

Don't worry about the alu motor mount screws .. I have a never-ending supply of stainless metric and SAE hardware, NyLock nuts, etc. .. no sweat.

Is the screw pattern on the Scorpion motors compatable with the hole pattern in the Century motor mounts ?

Motor shaft size seems to be 5mm, which all the century pinions seem to be ..

Are we thinking a motor like this ....

http://www.heli-world.com/detail.aspx?ID=10674, depending on battery size ??

Is Heli World the "Vendor-of Chice" ?? Or should I order direct from Century ? OR .. someone else ?

I'm ready to order .. I'm planning to get the "Red Real Deal", and an unpainted fuse, and go from there .. unless you guys have a better idea ?

I can see there will be a few more orders before I get this bird flyable ..

Thanks again for your input,

Russ
Old Mar 12, 2013, 05:29 AM
Florida
Joined Nov 2004
6,614 Posts
Heli-World is Century. That motor would work perfect. Go with 6 cell batteries. These things are always tail heavy. You might want to just use the fuselage that comes with the real deal. The paint is excellent. They also have details and black raised trim. Or, use it as "practice", then sell it ready to install in a Swift. Probably worth the same either way. It is expensive to ship these things. Requires giant boxes. I used the semi scale landing gear they sell for the 600 size. Cut it down both directions. There is guy in the scale forum that makes perfect looking scale Jet Ranger LG for$100. I still might get a set from him. The Long Ranger belongs to Captain Carlton. He has a thread on page 6 here. That has the nice landing gear. Details are in his thread.
Last edited by Greybird; Mar 12, 2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 06:03 AM
Florida
Joined Nov 2004
6,614 Posts
Hope this helps. I used a plywood floor, slow cure epoxied in. The scale mechanics is held with blind nuts installed on the wooden blocks. The landing gear bolts also have doubled plywood epoxied in. MiniBoy, you might want to build the real deal fuselage up, get it flying,and re-paint it a later date. Lightly sand and good to go. Someone here did it with a MD 500 a while back. The re-paint came out great after just a light sanding.
Last edited by Greybird; Mar 12, 2013 at 08:37 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 09:11 AM
Joined May 2009
3,378 Posts
You guys are really giving me the bug to try something scale ... must resist and pay off current heli bills first .... I do have a complete NX airframe sitting in the box - I would just need that fancy bottom scale structure thingy and a nice fuse, correct ? I'll be following Russ's progress for sure and taking in all of the info you guys share.

BTW - I received my EagleTree V4 eLogger, PowerPanel LCD display, and Brushless RPM sensor - very nice! Just have to find a good way to mount them and wire them in. I got the one with the Dean's connectors but I'm still going to have to make an extension cable of sorts - having both the ESC and battery connect to the same side of the elogger doesn't work with my wiring, but I figured that would be the case and wanted to be able to use it with my other non-Dean's helis via adapter cables.
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Mar 12, 2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 08:29 PM
Joined Feb 2003
2,383 Posts
Quote:
Heli-World is Century. That motor would work perfect. Go with 6 cell batteries. These things are always tail heavy. You might want to just use the fuselage that comes with the real deal. The paint is excellent. They also have details and black raised trim. Or, use it as "practice", then sell it ready to install in a Swift. Probably worth the same either way. It is expensive to ship these things. Requires giant boxes. I used the semi scale landing gear they sell for the 600 size. Cut it down both directions. There is guy in the scale forum that makes perfect looking scale Jet Ranger LG for$100. I still might get a set from him. The Long Ranger belongs to Captain Carlton. He has a thread on page 6 here. That has the nice landing gear. Details are in his thread.
Thanks for the GREAT info, Greybird ! .. Am going to order the Red Real Deal and a blank Jetranger fuse .. I have my own paint scheme to do, and don't really want to start with a clearcoated fuse and add more weight to it. You are right, I may keep the Red fuse to bash, or sell it .. we'll see how that works out ?! Having never seen one of these Swifts, I think I'd do well to "Touch & Feel" and measure before I get into power, battery packs and electronics.

Thanks also for the nice detaild photos of the scale mechanics tray mounted in the fuse floor .. very helpful ! Did chase down some of Captain Carlton's posts .. more very good info !

John ... From what I can gather, to do a scale Swift, you would need the scale mount platform, a fuse and landing gear, which I don't think comes with the fuse ?!?

Gotta go order .. chat later, and thanks again for the help ..

Russ