HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:39 PM
United States, IL, Lombard
Joined May 2009
3,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotoraddict View Post
That is the same canopy as I have on my Carbon Swift SE. Not only is it a great looker, but it is also very easy to see and keep oriented.
It definitely looks like it will be highly visible. I was actually looking for the one that's on the box (red & yellow with blue stripe, black windshield) but can't seem to find one. The one I got was on Ebay for $40 I think it's going to look sharp.

Did a little work on the 16 today ... installed the metal motor mount, 3rd bearing upgrade kit, and a low profile collar. I'm leaving the upper bearing block plastic for now until I can find some small washers to keep the plastic frame from deforming when the metal one is installed and tightened up. I'll have to file the inside corners of the metal bearing block so I can use the low-profile clamp collar, which can't be used with the plastic bearing block due to it's cap-screw interference. I'm hoping the low profile collar will allow me to avoid having to trim the phasing pins to get decent collective pitch range.

FR4-Pilot is offline Find More Posts by FR4-Pilot
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Dec 10, 2012 at 02:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:03 PM
Committed heli addict...
Joined Jan 2010
675 Posts
Just a little tip to help improve removing and placing that stock 16's canopy. I did a small mod to the canopy by cutting the back wrap around section so that is flush and parallel with the section of the frame beneath it and also removed the front side posts. This makes getting the canopy off and back on much easier. I ran multiple cell packs and was always changing lipos out. Hope that helps. I have an illustration buried here or on heli freak if you want to reference the mod. Have to dig it up though.

Nm, I found the old pic:
phoenixheli is offline Find More Posts by phoenixheli
Last edited by phoenixheli; Dec 09, 2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:15 PM
Joined May 2009
3,338 Posts
Thanks - without the front posts - does the canopy stay mounted well enough? I too will be removing that thing after every flight ...
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:31 PM
Utah
Joined Sep 2009
499 Posts
Kari Byron... yummy

Stenz28 is offline Find More Posts by Stenz28
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:34 AM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,325 Posts
@FR4-Pilot

I have never seen that canopy scheme available for sale; yellow canopy>red paint>those discontinued stickers and the inside of the winscreen painted black.... should do it. Do you have one of those yellow canopies? If not I do and I also have a new Century "Lightning 550 Plus #CNE271 outrunner.
simages is offline Find More Posts by simages
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:19 AM
Florida
Joined Nov 2004
6,614 Posts
Is that the lady from Mythbusters?
Greybird is offline Find More Posts by Greybird
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:14 PM
Joined May 2009
3,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybird View Post
Is that the lady from Mythbusters?
Yep that's her - back from 2006 when they did the postage stamp on a rotor blade myth ... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=522903

Quote:
Originally Posted by simages View Post
I have never seen that canopy scheme available for sale; yellow canopy>red paint>those discontinued stickers and the inside of the winscreen painted black.... should do it. Do you have one of those yellow canopies? If not I do and I also have a new Century "Lightning 550 Plus #CNE271 outrunner.
I don't have a yellow one - but two white ones & the fiberglass one. I have that motor too - haven't used it yet though. Maybe that canopy never was for sale (?) I assumed it was since it appears on boxes, websites, brochures, etc.
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Dec 10, 2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:20 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,325 Posts
Well.....

I have this one that you can have..... and a new windscreen too, maybe I can find those decals and print them for you. Then all you have to do is Red coat it.....

This is the only one I've seen that a hobbiest has duplicated from the box.... of Swift's past
simages is offline Find More Posts by simages
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by simages; Dec 10, 2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:20 PM
Georgia, USA
Joined Jan 2008
3,761 Posts
Look at all this action on the Swift thread.
I need to put some action on my Swift. It has been sitting forever.
jamesppp is offline Find More Posts by jamesppp
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:51 PM
Committed heli addict...
Joined Jan 2010
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR4-Pilot View Post
Thanks - without the front posts - does the canopy stay mounted well enough? I too will be removing that thing after every flight ...
Assuming you have the stock canopy, yes it will stay in place. The two grooves in the front will hold up as it is held in place by the skids.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:04 PM
Joined May 2009
3,338 Posts
Thank you Phoenix.

BTW - those landing gear spacers shown in the manual - are they needed? I see some use them, others don't. Looks like the bottom support plate bends/sits at an angle if they're used. Why would or wouldn't someone use them ?
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Dec 16, 2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:28 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesppp View Post
Look at all this action on the Swift thread.
I need to put some action on my Swift. It has been sitting forever.
I just put some radio gear back into my Swift 550SE recently, set-up for a 5S power system and have been having a ball with it. I had forgot how well it flew.
rotoraddict is offline Find More Posts by rotoraddict
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:48 PM
Committed heli addict...
Joined Jan 2010
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR4-Pilot View Post
Thank you Phoenix.

BTW - those landing gear spacers shown in the manual - are they needed? I see some use them, others don't. Looks like the bottom support plate bends/sits at an angle if they're used. Why would or wouldn't someone use them ?
After serveral flights I removed the spacers. They only provide a little more ground clearance for the tail and you get a solid connection to the fame without them. I had trouble with those spacers on harder landings and autos when using 6S 5000mAh packs. The spacers had a tendency to pop out and yes, the plate sits better too. My swift came with the updated struts (CNE612) as well, instead of the thin original ones.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:55 PM
Joined May 2009
3,338 Posts
I picked up a set of those updated struts too ... does the stock canopy have to be trimmed to fit around them? I'm going to try and get some build time next week ...