HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2012, 09:26 PM
Joined Dec 2007
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl k View Post
As far as head tuning, are lighter flybar paddles and more aggressive radio setup the only changes to the heli? What pitch range is run in that video?
As it is using 6S packs and seems to have a relatively short flight (mind you, there may be a number of minutes edited out), and considering its response rate, I would bet the rotor speeds 2100 +.
Cyclick is offline Find More Posts by Cyclick
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2012, 12:43 AM
Yes, "that" Karl...
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Mar 2007
1,680 Posts
I landed, stopped the video, then finished the flight.

With the governor setting I'm using it sits around 1950 rpm in that video.
I've dropped the head speed slightly since.
karl k is offline Find More Posts by karl k
Old May 28, 2012, 07:54 AM
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Joined Jun 2005
370 Posts
Do you guys have any thoughts on these servos? I have a set on my 450 and others are having good things to say about the 12g size. Just saw these for HV and the specs are good. I have another NX coming and am just starting to look around for all the pieces parts.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/33p-solarservo-d771.html

Mike
mligosh is online now Find More Posts by mligosh
Old May 29, 2012, 02:40 AM
Joined Dec 2007
845 Posts
The one spec that you never see in any servo, is one that would be called "failure rate in service".

That is not as important when dealing with a servo fro 450 helis, as if they fail the damage to the heli will not be near as telling as on a bigger 550 sized heli. From a safety perspective. neither would it be near as dangerous.

That is why I will only use servos from manufacturers who have a long proven record of reliability. These servos in time my get a reputation for being so, but as of now they do not, so until they do, I would gladly pay more for servos from a more proven manufacturer like Futaba, JR, Airtronics, Spectrum or HiTech.

I would rather purchase a slower servo with lower torque that has proven to be reliable, then one that has better specs but no proven reliability. This is simply because the reliable, but lower speced servo, will not cause my heli to crash, but a better speced servo, that has not proven its' reliability, may well do so.
Old May 31, 2012, 05:10 PM
Joined Apr 2009
150 Posts
I agree with cyclic. I do not mind trying non brand name items initially in less critical areas that are not so guaranteed to cause a crash. as with a motor or ESC, as an auto would still be possible if they failed in flight, But if a servo fails, you sill not even be able to auto.

I have used the low end Futaba digital S3151's on may Swifts. They may not have specs that are as fast or with as much torque, but they have proven to be very reliable.

A couple of years ago. I purchased 4 off-brand servos only to have one fail on the bench. So I decided to test further for performance, as to the impressive specs they touted.

I made a jig in which I could mount two servos with a pointer at the same marker mounted to the servo arm. Then I hooked them with a Y adapter to the aileron channel of the RX. I was surprised to find the S3150 not only centered better, but beat the other to the end stop every time, proving the S3151 was even faster, though the speed specs said the other should be twice as fast!!

But the thing that gave me the most confidence in the S3151's, was the knowledge that they were one of the most reliable low end servo I had ever used.
GyroMan is offline Find More Posts by GyroMan
Last edited by GyroMan; May 31, 2012 at 05:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 02, 2012, 03:39 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Mar 2007
134 Posts
Great Day for Flying

Just wanted to share some pictures and video of the Swift NX in action. The more I fly this heli, the more I like it!!

Swift NX Flybarless Inverted and Backwards Practice (6 min 53 sec)
cbarnettone is offline Find More Posts by cbarnettone
Old Jun 02, 2012, 08:53 PM
Yes, "that" Karl...
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Mar 2007
1,680 Posts
Has anyone tried dying these canopies?
karl k is offline Find More Posts by karl k
Old Jun 04, 2012, 05:59 PM
Joined Dec 2007
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnettone View Post
Just wanted to share some pictures and video of the Swift NX in action. The more I fly this heli, the more I like it!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOapFKegxoA
Some great pictures there.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 11:42 PM
SUCK LESS
United States, IL, Lombard
Joined May 2009
3,583 Posts
Very nice flying! That yellow canopy looks great.
-John
FR4-Pilot is offline Find More Posts by FR4-Pilot
Old Jun 06, 2012, 08:25 AM
USA, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2003
1,476 Posts
cabarnettone,
What rotor head do you have in your NX? I see the main blade grips looks like the original plastic ones? And yet you have a metal rotor head and it is Flybarless?

Also, I wonder if the FBL head from the new E640 will fit in the NX? Anyone?

Thanks,
Rico.
ricoalonso is online now Find More Posts by ricoalonso
Old Jun 07, 2012, 12:02 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Mar 2007
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclick View Post
Some great pictures there.
Thanks!
Old Jun 07, 2012, 12:03 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Mar 2007
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR4-Pilot View Post
Very nice flying! That yellow canopy looks great.
-John
Thanks! I'm really happy with how it turned out!
Old Jun 07, 2012, 12:07 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Mar 2007
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricoalonso View Post
cabarnettone,
What rotor head do you have in your NX? I see the main blade grips looks like the original plastic ones? And yet you have a metal rotor head and it is Flybarless?

Also, I wonder if the FBL head from the new E640 will fit in the NX? Anyone?

Thanks,
Rico.
I'm using the century flybarless center hub. Here are a couple links about it:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=6551
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=6552
Old Jun 07, 2012, 07:51 AM
USA, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2003
1,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnettone View Post
I'm using the century flybarless center hub. Here are a couple links about it:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=6551
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=6552
Wow! That really looks a lot better. As for the main shaft, I can see it is shorter. Is it this one --> http://www.heli-world.com/detail.aspx?ID=10610 ?

And, from you video I noticed you did not have that 'shake' at spooldown even when you landed on a concrete or paved surface... I have been chasing this shake/vibration ever since I have this heli and I thought I had fixed but now it's back. I may start looking at replacing my stock plastic head since I can see some wobble in it and maybe causing this shake/vibration problem. If I do then I may as well convert to FBL

Thank you so much for sharing.
Rico.
ricoalonso is online now Find More Posts by ricoalonso
Old Jun 07, 2012, 10:21 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Mar 2007
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricoalonso View Post
Wow! That really looks a lot better. As for the main shaft, I can see it is shorter. Is it this one --> http://www.heli-world.com/detail.aspx?ID=10610 ?

And, from you video I noticed you did not have that 'shake' at spooldown even when you landed on a concrete or paved surface... I have been chasing this shake/vibration ever since I have this heli and I thought I had fixed but now it's back. I may start looking at replacing my stock plastic head since I can see some wobble in it and maybe causing this shake/vibration problem. If I do then I may as well convert to FBL

Thank you so much for sharing.
Rico.
I'm actually using the stock main shaft. It is just the the aluminum head block is shorter, so that brings the rotor disc down quite a bit. I did have to find shorter links to the swash though. As for the shakes, I have them too! I have just learned to feed in positive collective on spool down, and that seems to eliminate most of the problem. Hope this helps!