HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2012, 01:37 PM
Yes, "that" Karl...
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Mar 2007
1,680 Posts
About 2 hrs.

Not sure if I'm painting the canopy or not yet. Need to make the call before I get it in the air.
karl k is offline Find More Posts by karl k
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2012, 10:37 PM
Suck Less.
Joined May 2009
3,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl k View Post
All ready for electronics. Attachment 4823648
She looks great!

Are you dis-assembling everything first? If not you might want to - I've found a bunch of 'surprises' in the pre-assembly that needed to be adjusted, replaced and/or corrected.

Mine's taking forever it seems - going on a couple weeks. The tear-down, inspection, correcting then re-assembly is brutal

-John
FR4-Pilot is offline Find More Posts by FR4-Pilot
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; May 01, 2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old May 01, 2012, 11:30 PM
I AM SOFA KING WE TODD DID
Iceland, Westfjords, safjrur
Joined Mar 2011
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR4-Pilot View Post
She looks great!

Are you dis-assembling everything first? If not you might want to - I've found a bunch of 'surprises' in the pre-assembly that needed to be adjusted, replaced and/or corrected.

Mine's taking forever it seems - going on a couple weeks. The tear-down, inspection, correcting then re-assembly is brutal

-John
John,

I concur, my build is taking forever as well. (My first)

I purchased my kit 2 months ago. Full time job and caring for my 3 year old son leaves me limited flying/build time. It would be easier to build from parts rather than have to deal with tearing down and rebuilding. I have my NX almost done. Need to install esc and bec, and setup all servos etc and program. (thank goodness for Finless Bob's videos) To make things worse I am using my new DX8, (learning all its nuances)

I bought a spare canopy which I am going to paint. I'll use the stock canopy w/ garbage stickers for the first flights. Good luck with your NX!
wavekatcher is offline Find More Posts by wavekatcher
Last edited by wavekatcher; May 01, 2012 at 11:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old May 02, 2012, 10:46 AM
Yes, "that" Karl...
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Mar 2007
1,680 Posts
Quote:
She looks great!

-John
I pull it apart as I go. Everything looked pretty good. Went over it with other guys that have Swifts and they agree with my findings.

After another couple hours she's ready for the maiden on the weekend as long as I have time.

The one thing I still want to do is make some plastic spacers for the elevator servo to replace the temporary hardwood ones.
Old May 06, 2012, 12:52 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,664 Posts
Quote:
I pull it apart as I go. Everything looked pretty good. Went over it with other guys that have Swifts and they agree with my findings.

After another couple hours she's ready for the maiden on the weekend as long as I have time.

The one thing I still want to do is make some plastic spacers for the elevator servo to replace the temporary hardwood ones.
I have built a number of Swift 16's and Swift NX's that used many different servos and never had to insert such spacers.

What servos where you using?
rotoraddict is offline Find More Posts by rotoraddict
Old May 07, 2012, 11:07 AM
Yes, "that" Karl...
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Mar 2007
1,680 Posts
Turnigy 620DMG

They're rebranded blue bird servos.

It's just the depth of them that has bit me once ore twice.
Old May 07, 2012, 11:11 AM
Yes, "that" Karl...
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Mar 2007
1,680 Posts
The Swift was maidened yesterday. It all went off without a hitch. It is very docile at the lower head speed I ran it at.

I only had time for one flight. I will give continued flight reports as I get used to the machine.

I found that I could avoid the shakes on landing by doing a mini auto to kill most of the head speed before touchdown, then holding 0 deg pitch. Hopefully it will be better flying from grass instead of pavement.
Old May 07, 2012, 09:10 PM
Suck Less.
Joined May 2009
3,482 Posts
Congratulations Karl k!

-John
FR4-Pilot is offline Find More Posts by FR4-Pilot
Old May 08, 2012, 12:29 AM
Yes, "that" Karl...
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Mar 2007
1,680 Posts
Quote:
Congratulations Karl k!

-John
Thank you. She flies really gently.

I hope to get more flights in this weekend
Old May 11, 2012, 10:52 PM
Joined Dec 2007
842 Posts
Quote:
About 2 hrs.

Not sure if I'm painting the canopy or not yet. Need to make the call before I get it in the air.
Get some spray primer from your local auto supply store that is designed for painting the plastic bumpered found on cars. Sand the canopy lightly with 600 grit, then spray on the primer. Then you will find most paints that are for plastics will stick well.

As for the decals, just rub some soapy water on the canopy and you will find that you can move them around esaily until you get them located in the manner and position you want. They actually can look pretty nice.
Cyclick is offline Find More Posts by Cyclick
Old May 16, 2012, 04:26 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclick View Post
Get some spray primer from your local auto supply store that is designed for painting the plastic bumpered found on cars. Sand the canopy lightly with 600 grit, then spray on the primer. Then you will find most paints that are for plastics will stick well.

As for the decals, just rub some soapy water on the canopy and you will find that you can move them around esaily until you get them located in the manner and position you want. They actually can look pretty nice.
+1 to the above.
Old May 18, 2012, 07:07 PM
Barnwell, SC
Barnwell, SC
Joined Sep 2004
843 Posts
I have some NX parts for sale in the classifieds. To restore you just need frame sides, motor mount plate, electronics tray, tail boom, blades and and a couple of links. Thanks for looking.
hfenn is offline Find More Posts by hfenn
Old May 20, 2012, 06:42 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,664 Posts
Quote:
Thank you. She flies really gently.

I hope to get more flights in this weekend
Makes for a great trainer when set-up for training type of flights.

But it can also be set-up to be quite aggressive.

Century Swift NX 3D Flight with upgrades (2 min 48 sec)
Old May 21, 2012, 08:38 AM
Yes, "that" Karl...
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Mar 2007
1,680 Posts
As far as head tuning, are lighter flybar paddles and more aggressive radio setup the only changes to the heli? What pitch range is run in that video?
Old May 23, 2012, 12:36 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,664 Posts
Quote:
As far as head tuning, are lighter flybar paddles and more aggressive radio setup the only changes to the heli? What pitch range is run in that video?
The first thing to consider is the head speed. The higher the head speed, the faster the cyclic response, but the power system will not be able to use the same amount of collective pitch before loosing rotor speed. The higher head speed develops the same or more lift, at less pitch, then it may at lower head speeds, with more pitch, so you are really not giving up anything in that area, yet you will be gaining faster cyclic and tail response.

Nothing comes for free. The faster you turn the head speed, the less flight time you will get from the same battery pack. This is because of the extra power it takes to turn at a higher head speed. A good rule of thumb is that a 10% increase in head speed will require a 35% increase in power. How much pitch you can pull at the higher head speed will depend a lot on the current capabilities of your battery packs. The higher the C rating, the more pitch you will be able to pull.

You will find that the thinner & lighter paddles, like those from the Swift 16, will also increase the cyclic rate, at the expense of some fast forward flight stability. Of course C/F paddles, that are light with more area and a thicker airfoil, like those made by Rotor Tech, will give you faster response while keeping the FFF stability.