SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 15, 2010, 09:06 AM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,500 Posts
Right now I have an LAHeli Ricco and Sniper V2 (both flybarless) and an EXI 450 clone. I had (past tense) a Compass Knight 600E, but after the last crash I decommissioned it and have been selling off the carcass bits.

-Chris
JustPlaneChris is online now Find More Posts by JustPlaneChris
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2010, 04:57 PM
RC Fanatic
USA, NC, Greensboro
Joined Mar 2002
1,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlaneChris View Post
Right now I have an LAHeli Ricco and Sniper V2 (both flybarless) and an EXI 450 clone. I had (past tense) a Compass Knight 600E, but after the last crash I decommissioned it and have been selling off the carcass bits.

-Chris
Which one so you like best and what FBL system are you using?
Reco is offline Find More Posts by Reco
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:01 PM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,500 Posts
Tough choice! The LAHeli machines are top notch quality, but definitely "niche market". Both have silly low disk loading, so the pop and float is amazing. The EXI is just a beater, I'm using it for inverted and backwards practice.

I've got a BeastX MicroBeast in the Sniper, and a Skookum SK360 + Spartan Quark in the Ricco.

-Chris
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:44 AM
RC Fanatic
USA, NC, Greensboro
Joined Mar 2002
1,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlaneChris View Post
Tough choice! The LAHeli machines are top notch quality, but definitely "niche market". Both have silly low disk loading, so the pop and float is amazing. The EXI is just a beater, I'm using it for inverted and backwards practice.

I've got a BeastX MicroBeast in the Sniper, and a Skookum SK360 + Spartan Quark in the Ricco.

-Chris
Sweet.
Reco is offline Find More Posts by Reco
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:13 AM
United States, WA, East Wenatchee
Joined Oct 2007
301 Posts
How do you like that EXI 450? I was going to get one of those (then thought about the 500) and my trex 450 came along. Then I got this sweet swift 16. Well now I am not going to get the EXI LOL. I don't think that they will win any awards (the EXI's), I have never seen any pros use them in competitions but what the hey, someone will compete with one someday and maybe it will go viral!
J
jeff reeves is online now Find More Posts by jeff reeves
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:46 AM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,500 Posts
Jeff, the EXI was really a thought experiment (can a $29 airframe really fly OK?) and I was looking for something I could be cruel to without remorse. It works.

-Chris
Old Nov 16, 2010, 12:14 PM
Joined Oct 2007
301 Posts
Awesome I may still consider it for a "beat" bird LOL.
My parts for my swift are supposed to be here today Whoo Hoo! I really wanted to take the day off of work to play with it but the bills are mounting - ohhh if I wasn't so self diciplined......
J
Old Nov 17, 2010, 08:17 PM
Joined Oct 2007
301 Posts
I got off work yesterday and emediately went to work on my swift. I replaced all of the broken parts on the tail. I ended up buying 2 spares of every part I needed. That was a good thing because when I got everything assembled and I snapped the ball links of the tail pitch sliders onto the balls of the tail blade grips, they both broke!!!!! It must have been bad plastic. I went to take the tail pitch slider off and the ball broke off of it that connects to the tail pitch lever Gosh, can it get any worse? YES IT CAN!
I turned the gyro upside down, turned on the rx battery, and it worked fine, when I moved the tail, it counter acted the right way. I am thinking, I can't wait till tomorrow I am going to finally fly this wonderful heli.
Tomorrow came (today) and after work, I took the heli out to my shop.
Now in previous posts, a combination of the gyro upside down and the chicken dance on spool up and spool down, I have been thinking of a way to run it up and not damage the tail so I have a heavy duty stool that has a swivel head on it. I unscrewed the seat on it and put a plywood square on it and bolted the heli on the plywood using a couple of plywood strips. You will see the video. I put on my safety glasses, turned on the tx and rx and went into the other room with the door part way closed. I spooled up slowly and it went through the chicken dance again then smoothed out. Great, I was at about 1/3 throttle and it was really smooth and quiet. I worked the rudder and it was working properly as was the gyro. I am thinking AWESOME, lets take it outside and all of a sudden the heli started wobbling violently as I was shutting it down and the head broke, and my beautiful carbon fiber blades, 1/2 of the head and flybar skyrocketed into the ceiling. I have it on video and I will show you in the next few posts.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 08:23 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1 Posts
Lazere cutting

Hey does anyone know who does good laze cutting from polans on CD.
I am jst getting into RC's and I have a bunch of pans needing wood cut.
Thanks,
Lee
rodeo524 is offline Find More Posts by rodeo524
Old Nov 17, 2010, 08:30 PM
Joined Oct 2007
301 Posts
I checked the damage. One of the blades was split on the leading edge. Too bad you cannot repair those blades because they are just too nice to throw away. The head broke, shaft is bent, one side of washout assembly gone, flybar bent, flybar control arm broken. This just friggin ticks me off. I don't know what do do at this point. I will rebuild it but I am really afraid of running it up. If I had not bolted it down on the stool, and did it outside, It still would have happened but could have possibly done more damage because the heli would have tipped over and the tail would have broke again. Any suggestions on what I should check out and replace when I rebuild this bird? I will have a video of the "EVENT" tomorrow for you pros to study. Don't beat me up too much on this I meant the best intentions on this test LOL.
J
Old Nov 17, 2010, 08:43 PM
Joined Oct 2007
301 Posts
Here is the first video, the second with the "accident" will be next.
rc century swift 16 preview (3 min 19 sec)
Last edited by jeff reeves; Nov 17, 2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:02 PM
Joined Oct 2007
301 Posts
here is the disaster. I really learned from this experience - the hard way. It will make a better rc heli pilot and builder in the long run. Don't ever try this.
Century Swift - DISASTER!!!!.wmv (4 min 43 sec)
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:17 PM
USA, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2003
1,474 Posts
were you increasing the rotor pitch just before the head broke off or was there a positive pitch to the blade? Maybe the heli was trying to pull up due to possitive pitch but since you have it anchored down so then the head broke off.

I sometimes do that (anchor the heli to the ground) but I make sure that the pitch is neutral at 0-deg at all points.

^R^
ricoalonso is online now Find More Posts by ricoalonso
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:26 PM
Joined Oct 2007
301 Posts
Part 3 of this
Century Swift - DISASTER!!!!.wmv (4 min 43 sec)
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:32 PM
Joined Oct 2007
301 Posts
No increased pitch was done. If you look closely at the swash, it doesnt move. I was very careful not to go to 1/2 throttle because I didn't want to put any stress on the airframe or rotor head. This experiment was just to test the gyro and smoothness of the main rotor. I was just a little over 1/3rd throttle and was about to shut it down to take it outside to fly. At 0 throttle on norm, I have it set for -2 degrees, at full throttle, +9 degrees on norm. On idle up, I have it set for -9 to +9 degrees with 0 pitch at 1/2 throttle.