HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Apr 14, 2010, 07:57 PM
mad heli scientist
Gadget01's Avatar
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
CS-

Swifts take standard full-size servos, so your selection range is very wide. You don't need high-end digitals for non-3D flight, but at the very least get digital vs. analog and a ball bearing-supported output shaft. This will make cyclic control much more precise.

Hitec 5485's would be a good low-cost digital full-size servo option at only $25 each. They not fast at 0.17 @ 6v, but that's ok if you not stick-banging. Torque rating is good- 89 oz/in. If I were setting up a low-cost RTF Swift, I would probably order a set of these to try out.

Stick with a 9254/401 for the tail but if you run 6v to the receiver, use a 5v stepdown inline for the 9254... it's 5v only.
Gadget01 is offline Find More Posts by Gadget01
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2010, 08:07 PM
Registered User
Greybird's Avatar
Florida
Joined Nov 2004
6,614 Posts
The NX stickers are kind of lame. I am going to check with Callie Graphics to see if she can make Rippin graphics to fit this canopy.
Greybird is offline Find More Posts by Greybird
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 08:17 PM
mad heli scientist
Gadget01's Avatar
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybird View Post
The NX stickers are kind of lame. I am going to check with Callie Graphics to see if she can make Rippin graphics to fit this canopy.
Is the NX canopy plastic?
Gadget01 is offline Find More Posts by Gadget01
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 08:22 PM
Registered User
Greybird's Avatar
Florida
Joined Nov 2004
6,614 Posts
Yep, that same milk bottle stuff the others are made of.
Greybird is offline Find More Posts by Greybird
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 09:21 PM
too cheap to be a Plus user
dougbo's Avatar
USA, WA, Richland
Joined Nov 2009
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson144 View Post
I got a little curious about the differences between the NX and the S16. So I imported the parts list from Century's web site for both helis and sorted them to put them in order. 1st column is the NX 2nd column is the S16, gaps mean that part isn't used on the model, while the same part listed in both columns means it is used in both models.

Steve
Thanks for the list. Great job! One thing I noticed comparing the NX to the 16 is that the main blade grip on the NX is improved over the 16 even though the part number is the same.

I believe the NX tail boom has four holes at the back (uses two bolts) where the 16 boom has two holes (a single bolt).

Doug B.
dougbo is online now Find More Posts by dougbo
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 04:36 AM
Registered User
Big_Mac's Avatar
Netherlands
Joined Jul 2007
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson144 View Post
I got a little curious about the differences between the NX and the S16. So I imported the parts list from Century's web site for both helis and sorted them to put them in order. 1st column is the NX 2nd column is the S16, gaps mean that part isn't used on the model, while the same part listed in both columns means it is used in both models.
I also made a conversion list a few days ago, in the list are all parts you need to make a stock Swift an NX version, conclusion you're better of buying a NX if your in a hurry and if not replace parts when you need to on your 16 to NX parts. Most expensive is the complete canopy in this conversion which ads up to $43,39:

CNE500 Servo block $6,95
CNE503A Main frames $14,95
CNE505A Front electronics tray $4,99
CNE505B Electronics Mounting tray $2,50
CNE508SL Main shaft $9,95
CNE510D Drive tail hub $7,95
CNE612 Heavy duty landing struts $11,95
CNE516A Washout Assembly $11,99
CNE517A Head block $7,99
CNE528A Tail gearbox $5,95
CNE534NX Tail pitch control rod $3,95
CNE535NX Horizontal fin mount $3,25
CNE536HX Hex frame spacers $9,95
CNE536TF Fin set $8,95
CNE543B Tail boom support struts $8,50
CNE549NX Canopy $24,95
CNE550NX Windshield $9,95
CNE551NX Decal set $8,49
CNE555A Electronics plate $2,50
CNE580A A-Arm set $5,75
HW6205 Spacers $3,95
CNBB812 Ball Bearing 8x12x3,5 $7,50

Total conversion cost: $182,86

Hans
Big_Mac is offline Find More Posts by Big_Mac
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 09:20 AM
Registered User
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2006
397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget01 View Post
CS-

Swifts take standard full-size servos, so your selection range is very wide. You don't need high-end digitals for non-3D flight, but at the very least get digital vs. analog and a ball bearing-supported output shaft. This will make cyclic control much more precise.

Hitec 5485's would be a good low-cost digital full-size servo option at only $25 each. They not fast at 0.17 @ 6v, but that's ok if you not stick-banging. Torque rating is good- 89 oz/in. If I were setting up a low-cost RTF Swift, I would probably order a set of these to try out.

Stick with a 9254/401 for the tail but if you run 6v to the receiver, use a 5v stepdown inline for the 9254... it's 5v only.
Thanks Gadget
one review I read said the Century motors and esc's are good. Thinking 6 cell
Would you agree or go for something else?
cs23 is offline Find More Posts by cs23
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:55 AM
mad heli scientist
Gadget01's Avatar
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cs23 View Post
Thanks Gadget
one review I read said the Century motors and esc's are good. Thinking 6 cell
Would you agree or go for something else?
I don't have personal experience with the Century motor or esc, but from what I've read here they are good, especially for the price. 6s is a great way to go- gives you lots of flexibility. The Swift has a very good load carrying capacity, so it will handle 5000mah packs just fine. I prefer the mid 4000-ish packs for a nice compromise between aerobatic agility and flight duration.

An 800kv motor is what you want for 6s voltage (1100kv is for 3D or for use with 4s or 5s lipos) and a set of pinion gears from 9t to 11t to dial in the headspeed according to your main blade choice. 550mm are the .30 nitro size equivalent, so they are easy to find and work well. The trick is to run with a throttle setting at 90% or above to keep the ESC in a high efficiency/ low heat mode of operation rather than use lower throttle settings to achieve a lower headspeed.

You can find the Century motor also branded as a Tonic-X Z30A:
http://www.helidirect.com/tonicx-z30...fan-p-6014.hdx

There are a couple other "clones" of this motor as well- someone chime in on this and help me out.... I can't think of the other ones.
Gadget01 is offline Find More Posts by Gadget01
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 02:07 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2000
197 Posts
CS23, I saved this review on my computer for my Swift NX research...but can't remember where i found it. Thought you might find it useful. Take care.

"Well, my experience with the Century 600A+ in my Swift has not been as nice as others who have posted here. This message is not a rant, I am simply relating what happened to me over the last year. As you will see, a lot of the problems are my own fault and I do not blame Century or their motor. Here goes...

One motor went electrically dead after just 4 flights. Killed 2 ESCs before I realized I had a problem with the motor. Two died because I mounted them improperly and burnt out the bearings. Another died after the magnets broke. The final one died in my Logo 500 when the central wire windings came loose from the motor mount.

I have a 600A+ now in the Swift. It has had about 50 to 100 flights. It is likely to be my last 600A+. When it dies, I will be moving on to the Scorpion 4020-1100. I moved my Logo 500 to a Scorpion 4020-1100 and I am much happier. It is less noisy than the 600A+. Average current usage for the Scorpion is 28A, for the 600A+ it was 30A. Power spikes for a simple hovering flight never exceed 40A for the Scorpion, the 600A+ would often produce 50A spikes. The Scorpion comes down cooler than the 600A+. The battery packs are cooler after a flight. Flight times for me are about the same, 9:50 min for Scorpion and 10 min for 600A+. The most number of flights I got out of a 600A+ was about 300. The Scorpion has now had 200 flights and I expect it to surpass the 600A+ soon. In all honesty, the 600A+ would have lasted longer if I had mounted it properly, so longevity is a wash for me. The Scorpion motor is heavier, but that worked out for me on the Logo. I no longer hang the batteries out as far in the front.

One of the things I really like about the Scorpion is that it's bearing are easily removed and replaced. The 600A+ uses blue loctite and epoxy to secure its bearings, so while doable, removable and replacement would be difficult. I never bothered."
Kenneth is offline Find More Posts by Kenneth
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 06:24 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2008
1,649 Posts
I am sure there are always going to be the odd person who has bad experiences with any motor.

All I can say for the 600+ motors is that I have two. One is now 5 years old with well over 250 flights (stopped counting a couple of years ago now) and the other is about 3 years old, again with over 220 flights (when I stopped counting) and both have been super.

There are a number of others locally with even higher times and also with great results.

I have set up both of mine for use of 4S and 5S and 6S packs and to operate at rotor speeds from 1450 to 2150 and they just keep coming back for more. I would expect to have had to replace a bearing at least by now, but so far, they have been doing great.

Both motors have been used with their 55A ESC's (on 4S and 5S packs) and their 80A ESC's (4S, 5S & 6S) and they always ran on the relatively cool side (just warm to the touch). Even the 6S, set-up at a 2150 rotor speed and after a hard 3D flight, they both camoe out as just warm!!!

Needless to say, from my experience with them, along with that of some of my flying mates, I recommend them all the time.

My first experience with the older 600 (800KV) black case unit was also very good, and it is still going strong in a friends Swift.

I did blow my first 55A ESC way back in 2005, but that was because I was doing a Tim the toolman Taylor impression by not reading the instructios. I tried to bypass the BEC circuit without removing the red wire as per the instructions.

Even with the 9T pinion and a 6S pack on the 600+ can easily be set for long flight times at lower rotor speeds (1660) by simply setting their 80A ESC for an 80% setting across the top in the throttle pitch curve.

I have always used their heli/motor/ESC combos and have been very pleased. Seems they have done their homework with them.
rotoraddict is offline Find More Posts by rotoraddict
Last edited by rotoraddict; Apr 15, 2010 at 06:29 PM. Reason: spell check
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 06:35 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2008
1,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
It is less noisy than the 600A+. Average current usage for the Scorpion is 28A, for the 600A+ it was 30A. Power spikes for a simple hovering flight never exceed 40A for the Scorpion, the 600A+ would often produce 50A spikes. The Scorpion comes down cooler than the 600A+. The battery packs are cooler after a flight. Flight times for me are about the same, 9:50 min for Scorpion and 10 min for 600A+. The most number of flights I got out of a 600A+ was about 300. The Scorpion has now had 200 flights and I expect it to surpass the 600A+ soon. In all honesty, the 600A+ would have lasted longer if I had mounted it properly, so longevity is a wash for me. "
I am curious? If the readings he got showed higher average amperage for the 600+ compared to the Scorpion, how come he got longer flight times with the 600+....9:50 for the Scorpion & 10:00 for the 600+???

And the small difference of 28 to 30A averages could easily be attributed to a slightly different gear mesh.

All in all, looks like the 600+ is a great choice in any case. And in their combos, even a better choice.
rotoraddict is offline Find More Posts by rotoraddict
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 06:56 PM
Registered User
jonathanC's Avatar
Calgary, Canada
Joined Jan 2007
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cs23 View Post
Thanks Gadget
one review I read said the Century motors and esc's are good. Thinking 6 cell
Would you agree or go for something else?
I too purchased the Century 80/100 ESC + BEC + 600A motor. While I can't claim to have many flights on the combo with my 6S setup. I run the head speed at 1800 - 1900 with a 9tooth pinion, I can say that the combination works very well.

The downside to the ESC is when in the Governor mode induces tail twitching or wag. It also does not have much in the way of setup options.

If you want to buy one check out Heildirect they had the 80/100 on for $60.

Century is now selling the Castle Creations ice 100 in the swift combo. This would be my preferred combo as I use CC ESC in my other heli's and planes.
jonathanC is offline Find More Posts by jonathanC
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 08:22 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2008
1,649 Posts
I no longer use the governor mode on any of my ESC's (including the CC's I used in the past) as they had a tendency to do weird things and not to be consistant.

Now I just use them out of governor mode and use the throttle curve software in the TX wit a normal mode having a 0/70/X/X/X

and an idle up mode of X/X/X/X/X.

The X is the % value that you wish to use for whatever head speed you choose.

I understand the new Swift NX top combo comes with their 600+ and the HV85 ESC. That looks interesting.
rotoraddict is offline Find More Posts by rotoraddict
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 08:24 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2001
6,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanC View Post
I too purchased the Century 80/100 ESC + BEC + 600A motor. While I can't claim to have many flights on the combo with my 6S setup. I run the head speed at 1800 - 1900 with a 9tooth pinion, I can say that the combination works very well.

The downside to the ESC is when in the Governor mode induces tail twitching or wag. It also does not have much in the way of setup options.

If you want to buy one check out Heildirect they had the 80/100 on for $60.

Century is now selling the Castle Creations ice 100 in the swift combo. This would be my preferred combo as I use CC ESC in my other heli's and planes.
I'm testing the ice 100/600+ cmbo now. Hope I get some test flights in this weekend.
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 08:55 PM
Registered User
jonathanC's Avatar
Calgary, Canada
Joined Jan 2007
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
I'm testing the ice 100/600+ cmbo now. Hope I get some test flights in this weekend.
Keep us posted on how the ICE does in your Swift setup. I'm still considering picking one up as I just sent my original 80/100 ESC back to HeliWorld to see if they can fix the governor problem but was told "the ESC performed just fine in their bench testing".

I'd like to see the log output from the ICE as I understand it doesn't have the capacity of the Eagletree logger but its sure nice to have the logging built right into the ESC.
jc
jonathanC is offline Find More Posts by jonathanC
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Tales of Gadget's Swift 16 Gadget01 Large Electric Helis 486 Nov 18, 2010 12:13 AM
Discussion Tales of Everyone's Swift(s) JustPlaneChris Electric Heli Talk 2551 Jun 17, 2008 08:46 AM
FS- Super Bright LED's - Part II - Only $1 each or less! One time offer. Etonic Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 45 Jan 10, 2004 07:07 PM
Four red 1400SCR's and two 75mah 7 cell packs Lance Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 May 20, 2002 01:55 PM