HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2008, 08:45 AM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,499 Posts
Discussion
Tales of Everyone's Swift(s) Part Two

Welcome all Swift owners (and wannabe Swift owners)! This is a continuation of the original Tales of Everyone's Swift thread, which got really large and hard to navigate. Be sure to check it out, there's a ton of great info (and fun stories) there.

The purpose of this thread is to chat about the Swift (all versions) and share stories, setup tips, and just generally BS about it. Pull up a chair and have fun!

-Chris
JustPlaneChris is online now Find More Posts by JustPlaneChris
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2008, 09:02 AM
Rave heaven
Chicago surburbanite
Joined Nov 2006
5,125 Posts
sweet! I have made it over and this is gonna be great I really hope weather is nice this weekend so I can fly the swift this weekend...ever since I figured out that wobble, have not flown it yet. should be fun
helitaiwan963 is offline Find More Posts by helitaiwan963
Old Jun 17, 2008, 10:57 AM
mad heli scientist
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
some Swift flying from Sunday

not a bad view eh?
Gadget01 is offline Find More Posts by Gadget01
Old Jun 17, 2008, 11:07 AM
nananabooboo!!
Joined Mar 2003
1,130 Posts
Nice to see the Swift thread still thriving! I'm still on the road (at Missoula, MT) will drive to Spokane today. Man, I'm so tired of driving! Still have another week on the ferry starting this Friday.......

Take care guys...
nieves50 is offline Find More Posts by nieves50
Old Jun 17, 2008, 12:36 PM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget01
not a bad view eh?
Beautiful photo, Gadget!

-Chris
Old Jun 17, 2008, 01:24 PM
Heli Expert
Roosevelt UT
Joined Apr 2008
105 Posts
Sweeeeet!
Eeeeky16 is offline Find More Posts by Eeeeky16
Old Jun 17, 2008, 01:46 PM
Concord, CA
Joined Dec 2007
1,427 Posts
Century Helicopters (heli-world)

Turns out they are a 15min drive from my work. PROUD OWNDER of a new 16

I'm still a newbie (this will be my 2nd build (first ES600)) so have paitience with me, I'll watch finless' build vids but I may have questions galore
LockMD is offline Find More Posts by LockMD
Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:57 PM
Don't be scared, fly it!
Georgia, USA
Joined Mar 2008
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget01
not a bad view eh?

Awesome view Gadget, very cool!

Robert
Cloud Cruiser is offline Find More Posts by Cloud Cruiser
Old Jun 17, 2008, 04:07 PM
France
Joined Nov 2004
23 Posts
Hello everybody,
happy to meet you on this new thread.

Just few pictures of my 2 Swift.
- one is light (4S, no option, ZPower Z20) = 2.2 Kg / 1750 rpm,
- the other one stronger (6S, CNC options, ZPower Z30) = 2.9 Kg / 2100 rpm.

Best regards,
Gilles
gilles is offline Find More Posts by gilles
Old Jun 17, 2008, 06:30 PM
mad heli scientist
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
For you wanna-be Swift flyers... here's one for you: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=880818
Gadget01 is offline Find More Posts by Gadget01
Old Jun 17, 2008, 09:23 PM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilles
Hello everybody,
happy to meet you on this new thread.
Welcome, Gilles! Which of your Swifts do you think is more fun? The light one, or the powerful one? Just curious, as I've been tempted to build a 2nd Swift and try to make it as light as possible.

-Chris
Old Jun 17, 2008, 10:00 PM
Georgia, USA
Joined Jan 2008
3,764 Posts
With the lower kit pricing and the parts cost, the Swift has to be one of the best bargains in RC helis.

I have quite a bit more money is this little Beam I just built. Its about ready to go. The kit is very nice, builds smoothly, and parts are pretty cheap, but for value per dollar, the Swift wins hands down.

Im sure glad you are keeping this thread going. I feel like I learned to fly helis on this thread. Lots of good advice and good people giving it.
Thanks,

Jimmy
jamesppp is offline Find More Posts by jamesppp
Old Jun 17, 2008, 11:44 PM
Helis Fall With Grace & Style
Kalispell Montana BIG SKY COUNTRY!
Joined Aug 2007
864 Posts
Well I have decided to take the Logictech 2100t off of the King 2 and use it for the Swift 550 I have had in the box since September of last year . I have everything for it now. I am just contemplating on which Li-PO to go with. I will be choosing either an Outrage Li-PO or the Hyperion Li-PO. Contemplating on going 5s or 6s and either 3700mAH or 5000mAH. So I just need to get that figured out and go from there. I think I may go with the 3700mAH 6s Outrage, or 4250mAH 6s Hyperion. Not sure yet.

Electronics will be as followed:
  • Logictech 2100t Gyro
  • Spektrum AR7000
  • Hyperion 80A ESC
  • Castle BEC
  • E-Sky 1200kv motor the one that is sold for the E-Smart, basically same as the Century 600, it is just slightly bigger.
I have the Spektrum DS821s for cyclic but I may go with the Hyperion Tail Rudder Servos the DS20-GMD. Metal Gears, Digital programmable. Here's some more info about the Hyperion Servos: http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/at-ser/atservo.htm. Bob White did a review on the DS20-GMD for me using it on the Gohbee Phazor 600 and said he loved it. He was thinking about using them for cyclic cause they are only $43.80 & super fast. .07 at 4.8v, a kick ass servo. And then I will definitely be using that for my tail so I may have that servo all the way around for cyclic and rudder. http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=71561 Step 20 for the review and then you can watch the flight video.

So what recommendations do you guys have for headspeed. I will msot likely be running the 550 Rotortechs and I want a headspeed that is zippy enough for quick loops, rolls, and basically anything 3D you can throw at it. I know the 1700ish range is good for sport flying so for 3D is it more around 2000-2200. I am no 3D flyer but I want this thing to be able to rip if it can. So I was thinking 2000ish for the headspeed. I forgot to mention more than likely I will be using a 9 tooth as that will give me the 2000 range for headspeed as my Motor is 80% efficient and I just wanted to ask are the 8 tooth pinions crap. I had heard about some people having them break. Otherwise I was thinking about trying an 8 tooth to get a headspeed of around 1700.

I won't be building till after I move to Montana because that will be happening in the next 2 months so I am busy preparing but as soon as I can I want to get this bad girl flying.

Thanks for any input and I will definitely be doing some pics and videos. Take care all! Happy and safe flying.

Kyle
RcSuperSales-Net is offline Find More Posts by RcSuperSales-Net
Last edited by RcSuperSales-Net; Jun 18, 2008 at 02:56 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 03:02 PM
Concord, CA
Joined Dec 2007
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LockMD
Turns out they are a 15min drive from my work. PROUD OWNDER of a new 16

I'm still a newbie (this will be my 2nd build (first ES600)) so have paitience with me, I'll watch finless' build vids but I may have questions galore

Change in plans, I bit the bullet and got the Carbon 620SE instead....pick it up tomorrow
LockMD is offline Find More Posts by LockMD
Old Jun 18, 2008, 03:45 PM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcSuperSales-Net
I just wanted to ask are the 8 tooth pinions crap. I had heard about some people having them break. Otherwise I was thinking about trying an 8 tooth to get a headspeed of around 1700.
I've seen more than one picture of an 8T pinion with missing teeth. IMO, there just isn't enough material left to make a strong pinion that small.

I run 1900 rpm on my Swift, and believe me.... even at that rpm it's going to make you yell "HOLY !!!" the first time you punch it, especially compared to your King.

-Chris