SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by SPasierb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 08:34 AM
No substitute for aspect ratio
Norwalk, CT aka the Nutmeg State -- I just can't seem to find any %$#@! nutmeg here?
Joined Nov 2003
2,262 Posts
Discussion
Technology, our models and the love thing... rust never sleeps

Two things happened on the train this morning during my too long commute. Okay, more than two and there was that "loud talking" lady that many of us wanted to toss out onto the tracks to watch her bounce, but I digress...

First, scanning sale ads I came across a sweet sailplane that was in mint condition. Back in the day it was seriously advanced for its time. The selling price was steep, so you really had to want it -- it had been for sale in the past with many lookers, but sadly no takers. Compared to the composite molded, new airfoil offerings of today, it would be seriously outclassed in the air. So was this fine airframe from history worth the price? So subjective.

That’s what I love about this hobby and also where love comes into play. We put time and craft into models, care for them, take great joy in flying them, but as they age some we kick to the curb while fondness grows for others and they end up in the archive. Then one day we put it on the market at what our heart says is a fair price. The love clouds our view of an airplane’s value to others. They’re not wrong. And, I'd sumbit, neither are we.

Then, a few more miles down the tracks, I came across this photo in another blog and the two items just knitted together in my silly mind with a smile. The latest and greatest airframe innovation has been eclipsed many, many times and will be again. Nothing is “rust-proof.” Nothing is forever.

Have a great day!
SPasierb is offline Find More Posts by SPasierb
Last edited by SPasierb; Jun 17, 2008 at 08:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts