HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2008, 11:37 AM
Tearing the Skies a new one...
Sweden: Ystad
Joined Oct 2004
4,013 Posts
Careful what you wish for.. if we get a house the retox moulds will be boxed up...

The kind of things we're looking for needs HELP... we're low on cash, so we're havign to find a "fixer" to play with
Sensiblenick is offline Find More Posts by Sensiblenick
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2008, 03:58 PM
Joined Oct 2004
4,013 Posts
Sweeeeet

Thanks to R/C Junkie's "mini how to" thread I've just done a Retox wing with the water-effect technique he describes and explains.

White paint onto bare carbon, then lacquered with a neon-yellow tinted laquer... it took a few minutes, and was a LOAD of fun... and was all done with über-cheap rattle-cans.

Next up... can it be done directly into moulds?
Old Nov 20, 2008, 04:16 PM
2 Build or not 2 build???
Solana Beach, CA
Joined Jul 2008
551 Posts
Dam that's a gorgeous wing. Even all wet and lime green....
jrbike is offline Find More Posts by jrbike
Old Nov 20, 2008, 04:26 PM
Haute-Savoie, France
Joined Feb 2006
302 Posts
Looks like a paint job I could do... but I'd have real bumps.

Really great looking!
Erik.R is offline Find More Posts by Erik.R
Old Nov 20, 2008, 04:59 PM
Mach 0.261 ... Hiccup of Wiggy
Wiggy Poo, England!
Joined Mar 2006
1,258 Posts
SeWeeeeeT indeed ... very nice job! Keww L

I'm looking forward to seeing #2 out of the moulds, it should be even better than the first one eh?

Who knows if you can get that effect 'in the mould' but I think you should give it a go Nick!

Feild tests in the UK. Nice!

GREAT stuff Nick, keep it up.
Regads George
Geo420 is offline Find More Posts by Geo420
Old Nov 20, 2008, 05:41 PM
Is it DS'able?
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Feb 2007
2,264 Posts
Don't land it on the wet grass, you might lose it!

Nice work blenick.

-James
wr_mizzard is offline Find More Posts by wr_mizzard
Old Nov 21, 2008, 01:36 AM
TEAM OZSKUNKWORX
KORUMBURRA IN THE BOONDOCS
Joined Jan 2006
4,776 Posts
Sweet Nick good to see you having a play you can come up with some great effect.If you put some letters on the wing then spray the drops on over the letters.Once dry peel the letters away and you have another differant effect.Or use the off cut from around the letters and spray where the letters would be then peel the outer away and your words will be done in the water effect

Shane
r/c junkie is offline Find More Posts by r/c junkie
Old Nov 21, 2008, 03:30 AM
Joined Oct 2004
4,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r/c junkie
Sweet Nick good to see you having a play you can come up with some great effect.If you put some letters on the wing then spray the drops on over the letters.Once dry peel the letters away and you have another differant effect.Or use the off cut from around the letters and spray where the letters would be then peel the outer away and your words will be done in the water effect

Shane
Cheers Shane.. I'd already though about using a latex paint-on mask to do that, but would run into trouble if doing it in the mould: I'd seriously risk peeling off the release-layer.

I'm going to have to experiment on a glass slab with release wax only: If I can do it with only wax then I'm laughing.... the droplet effect will also be exaggerated .. plus, next time I'll be doing this with an airbrush I think... or some more swanky spraypaints
Old Nov 21, 2008, 05:03 AM
Wiggy Poo, England!
Joined Mar 2006
1,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensiblenick
plus, next time I'll be doing this with an airbrush I think... or some more swanky spraypaints
If you are going to buy one Nick, then Iawata is the only make to have, in my airbrush artists oppinion anyway.

George
Old Nov 21, 2008, 06:01 AM
Joined Oct 2004
4,013 Posts
I's already gotses one.

post 222 in this thread shows it. It's a cheapo jobby.... but does the trick.

What paints should I buy for these jobs with an airbrush? oohhh.. I'll post this question in the Original How To thread I guess.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 03:19 PM
Joined Oct 2004
4,013 Posts
Ellie just helped to lay up a canopy and set it up in the vac-bag... This Canopy is yellow, painted in the mould.... will be very interresting to see how it turns out

Spar moulds are now ready to have the first bits of carbon layed into them tomorrow, and I've got new table frame for a new vacuum table... it's all moving..
Old Nov 21, 2008, 04:34 PM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Sep 2004
1,102 Posts
Go Nickellie, go!!!
chetosmachine is offline Find More Posts by chetosmachine
Old Nov 22, 2008, 09:38 AM
Wiggy Poo, England!
Joined Mar 2006
1,258 Posts
Whats he got in his pocketzies....
Crunchable Retoxziz...
Old Nov 24, 2008, 07:17 AM
Joined Oct 2004
4,013 Posts
At the moment, quietly getting stiffer at home is a selection of bits...including a pair of main spars and some cheeky little hinge-spars .. It'll be interesting to see how well they come out of the moulds - getting the buggers IN there was a work of art to start with... It's certainly worth spending the time working on routines. The Rakettenwurm Video is a testament to a well-honed process. Forgetting to have the vacuum bag ready, or having to quickly slice up some more balsa at the last moment is a PITA. I'm also starting to learn how much resin I need for each step... 14g for a canopy for example..

Hopefully I'll have time today to make some basic guides to align them with as they go in

I also want to make a selection of rollers for the layup process... The list never ends, but if it ever does, a well-practiced routine will emerge on the other side.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 07:46 AM
Joined Oct 2004
4,013 Posts
Too much Info?

I've just dropped the kids of at the pool... and may have worked out a FAR superior way to do the spars...

Turd-time: The father of most good inventions. by this theory, I contend that DaVinci and Einstein had serious problems with the arse-grapes of wrath.