HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2008, 06:38 AM
Tearing the Skies a new one...
Sweden: Ystad
Joined Oct 2004
4,013 Posts
Build Log
The Retox: Fully moulded Carbon Plank.

Well here we are again. thanks Jon for arranging this once more!

Infamous for never finishing I've set myself a serious task this time.

Concept:
I have a Jart, I have something that flips about the sky like a spring lamb on speed, and I have a 2.2 meter ship that will fly in nearly any conditions.... but what I don't have is something that I will happily leave in the car in case the conditions pop up... or a fast machine for light lift... or something I can take with me on a trip *just incase*

Also... I like my planes to look "potentially" real. I like a canopy shape that would offer a good view for any occupants... Laugh all you like...

Intended Specs.
1.15 meter span, hollow moulded with a target weight of 400-500 grams... capable of being ballasted if you fancy.
The aim is to get fast flight in minimal lift conditions, sacrificing the ability to rip tight turns in favour of being able to carve up the sky in graceful manouvers.
The format will be a pleasingly PNF fuselage with removable wings. Each wing panel will measure 550mm from root to tip.
I intend to keep this machine as efficient as possible, using wiper-seals on the elevons, and maybe an RDS linkage to drive them - I'm still looking into that.

For some time now I have been discussing this project with Peter Wick (of PW51 fame). Right from the start he very kindly offered to give input... And now - aside from the advice-laden conversations - he has put a lot of time into designing 3 bespoke profiles and a specific wing plan-form. The plan-form has a total of 9 profile changes based on the above spec' and desired flying characteristics.

Please note: At Peter's request the profile coordinates will not be made public. If you wish to learn more about them, please contact him yourself. I hope that he and I will end up standing shoulder-to-shoulder testing a pair of these before the contest is through.

Naturally, the smallest differences in a profile can mean large changes in performance. Peter's work in the area of plank 'foils is legendary and I want to do them justice. With this in mind, a friend at work is helping to model this glider and then programme the relevant tool-paths. The entire thing will be moulded using machined and polished aluminium moulds. He's doing it because he's damned fast and good at it.... and he enjoys it. in return he'll learn to fly, and get a serious toy once he's ready for it... also, I have little experience with the "ProNC" add-on for ProEngineer whereas he has worked with it and surface modelling for years.

So far There is little work done. Modelling the plane takes relatively little time compared to programming tool-paths, and laying up a plane in moulds takes relatively little time compared to polishing the moulds to a shine...

However.. working out how to make the most of the moulds initially takes a lot of thinking.. and that's where I am at the moment.

Only with the express permission of SensibleNick is it ok to re.produce this material or to make plans of this plane.
Sensiblenick is offline Find More Posts by Sensiblenick
Last edited by Sensiblenick; Apr 15, 2009 at 07:51 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2008, 06:53 AM
Joined Oct 2004
4,013 Posts
Here's the *Initial* layout.... Infact, that's how it was a couple of weeks ago.

No physical work will start until Jon blows the whistle.
Last edited by Sensiblenick; Sep 22, 2008 at 04:55 AM.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 06:58 AM
If it ain't broke...break it!
South Coast, UK
Joined Jun 2006
912 Posts
This exactly matches the list of 'wants' I dreamed up the other night! So the best way to make the best of the molds is to make one for me Look forward to seeing the results. Wallet braced and ready
Hangtight is offline Find More Posts by Hangtight
Old Jun 17, 2008, 08:45 AM
Oakland California
Joined Jun 2004
38 Posts
Oh this looks very good, I like the forward swept design. I would like to get on a wait list for this beauty too.
Slopeman is online now Find More Posts by Slopeman
Old Jun 17, 2008, 09:04 AM
If it ain't broke...break it!
South Coast, UK
Joined Jun 2006
912 Posts
No pressure or anything....
Hangtight is offline Find More Posts by Hangtight
Old Jun 17, 2008, 09:07 AM
Joined Oct 2004
4,013 Posts
Pressure? Not a problem.

Machine time is one of the things that might get in the way though. I'm only capable of using the CNC's here at work when they have natural down-time... we have a new project on it's way so there may be problems.

This also ties in well with Ellie moving it.. There'll be considerably less mess doing things this way than there would be with foam etc.

As usual I'm totally open to suggestions and questions.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 09:09 AM
Needs brain lubrication
Aachen, very western Germany
Joined Dec 2004
1,391 Posts
That looks too cool.

Size, AR and planform seem to be chosen with great care.
I'm sure PW will have put his best ideas into it.

I'm happy to have a liquid proof keyboard (spilled red wine to often over the not so proof ones),
as that has quite the potential to make me drooling all over it.

biber
biber is offline Find More Posts by biber
Old Jun 17, 2008, 10:21 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2007
795 Posts
Beautiful! I want one too. #2 on the waiting list.
Geode is offline Find More Posts by Geode
Old Jun 17, 2008, 10:55 AM
You must die! I alone am best.
The Naughty Corner..Find me tweeting @slopetrashuk
Joined Sep 2003
5,011 Posts
Fat mini Zipper..... ?

Nice lines. Kind of pterodactyl like...
slopetrashuk is offline Find More Posts by slopetrashuk
Last edited by slopetrashuk; Jun 17, 2008 at 01:14 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 12:07 PM
Joined Oct 2004
4,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopetrashuk
Fat mini Zipper.....
A bit like the M60 too ?

Nah.. I recon it's quite different when you get into the details of the thing. While they may have the same features (pointy nose + plank) the rest of the attributes are quite far from actually being iidentical, and the targetted window of flying conditions is very different in my mind... To illustrate how different I think they are, a Zipper is still on my "to buy" list when I stop saving for houses etc...

And yes... Fat. In that sketch the Fus is at abut 60mm wide.. I'm going to shove it on a diet.
Last edited by Sensiblenick; Jun 17, 2008 at 01:23 PM. Reason: removal of cowbell
Old Jun 17, 2008, 01:06 PM
Joined Sep 2003
5,011 Posts
It was an observation - but now you come to mention it the similarity with the M60 is inspirational.....

Lurker...
Old Jun 17, 2008, 01:13 PM
Joined Oct 2004
4,013 Posts
Well that's all dandy then...
Old Jun 17, 2008, 04:43 PM
It's the best day ever!
Corte Madera (in Marin County, CA)
Joined Jan 2008
405 Posts
Nick this is looking like a winner. I really like the molded curvey-type wing shape, pointy nose, flying wing combo. I also like your intention of making something that is marketable, and because its a flying wing, even if it had carbon in it, it would be a less-expensive moldy. Right on! How many pieces is it going to be in (for travel)? One, two, five? Maybe one piece + removable fin?
yogiraw is offline Find More Posts by yogiraw
Old Jun 17, 2008, 04:52 PM
Twisted and Confused
Joined May 2003
4,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensiblenick
A bit like the M60 too ?

And yes... Fat. In that sketch the Fus is at abut 60mm wide.. I'm going to shove it on a diet.
Got more forward sweep than the M60 doesn't it?

Steve
flyonline is offline Find More Posts by flyonline
Old Jun 17, 2008, 06:05 PM
Joined Sep 2003
5,011 Posts
That was a joke.....