HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2008, 12:28 AM
iWeasel
Santa Barbara, CA
Joined Feb 2005
1,096 Posts
Contest
2008 SSDC - Summer Sloper Design Contest

We have a winner! Congratulations Nick and the Retox!

Results of voting can be seen HERE!

2007 Winner:

2006 Winner:

2005 Winner:
jludwick is offline Find More Posts by jludwick
Last edited by jludwick; Sep 29, 2008 at 11:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2008, 12:28 AM
iWeasel
Santa Barbara, CA
Joined Feb 2005
1,096 Posts
Here are the SSDC participants' build threads (on a first-come first-list basis):

Foam
  • FINALIST aussie
    Project: Kye's Cocky
    Goals: A freaky 3-axis (pitch, roll, yaw) aerobatic EPP flying wing with a strong emphasis on knife-edge performance.

• DNF Hangtight
    Project: The Instaron
    Goals: Mini pitcharon that can be put together in a day from whatever I can find lurking under the bench. Thinking of using a Kline-Fogleman foil for it's simplicity and benign characteristics at small Re #.

• DNF ajroahkni
    Project: TFW
    Goals: My attempt at the age-old experiment: twisty flying wing.

• FINALIST viking60
    Project: VARRKAIN (more info here )
    Goals: EPP Slope Combat Ship with rapid stability recovery after contact.

Crunchy
  • Coming Soon
    Project: Coming Soon
    Goals: Coming soon...

Open Class
  • DNF yogiraw
    Project: Chia
    Goals: A seven foot span polycarbonate-winged wiffle-ball bat fuse speedster equipped with ailerons, flaps and elevator. The two piece wing will have a thin moldy shape, made using snips, carbon rods, and E6000. It will have an X-tail with bell crank h-stab.

• FINALIST Sensiblenick
    Project: Retox
    Goals: Marketable Packable/Stow-able Light PNF plank for those days when the heavy-weight machinery doesn't cut it.. Ballastable for more blustery conditions.

• DNF mr_editor
    Project: Tube Boob
    Goals: An ultra portable glider for travel in a suitcase. Ideally will fit in a protective plastic tube of a couple of inches diameter. Using a Jedelsky style wing with a profiled front third and a cloth rear section tensioned like a modern performance kite. Pod and boom fuse. Flexy tail. Probably use wing and tail warping instead of normal control surfaces.

• FINALIST geode
    Project: Oblique Dynamic Soaring
    Goals: Be the first ODSing flying wing.

• FINALIST wr_mizzard
    Project: SPoodle
    Goals: To improve upon last years "Poodle" entry using a SPAD wing and less pool-noodle for the fuse.

• DNF masson74
    Project: Flying Bass Plug
    Goals: One crazy looking bright fun sloper that looks like a GIANT fishing lure.
Last edited by jludwick; Sep 22, 2008 at 06:39 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 12:29 AM
iWeasel
Santa Barbara, CA
Joined Feb 2005
1,096 Posts
Concept
This contest encourages members to design, build, and fly a scratch-built slope-soaring plane.

Dates
Here are all of the pertinent dates and deadlines:
  • June 16th, 2008 - Marks the beginning of the prologue. During this period entrants are encouraged to think about their entries, and respond to this thread with their entries, and start their build threads. Go ahead and post plans, sketches, etc. to your build thread, not here.
  • June 20, 2008 (the first day of summer) - Building may commence.
  • July 20, 2008 - Last day to enter the contest.
  • September 21, 2008 (the last day of summer) - Contest ends. Your "finished" plane must have made its maiden flight on or by this date. Build threads must be completed by September 21, 2008 also. PLEASE TAKE THIS INTO CONSIDERATION!
  • September 22 to September 27, 2008 - Voting takes place.
  • October 1, 2008 (or sooner) - Winners announced.
"I realize we're all over the world, so these dates are loosely based on California time."

Categories and Definitions
Here are the three different categories you can enter:
  • Foam - EPP and EPS based planes, front or backside, slow or fast, balsa bits and pieces OK. We’re looking for 90% foam here.
  • Crunchy - Wood (balsa, etc.) construction, should make a “crunch” sound upon impact.
  • Open Class - Balsa sheeted foam, carbon fiber sweety, Brick*d out lead sled. Basically anything goes, and the faster and more unusual the better!

Entries
There will be no limit to the total amount of entries in any category, but contestants may enter only one plane per category. Your entry will be deemed incomplete if the plane has not maidened by September 21st, and you have not finished posting photos, video (if available, but highly recommended), and a detailed (and honest) description of you plane's flight characteristics by the same date.

How do I enter?
Just reply to this thread with the following information:
  • Name - We can see this on your post already...
  • Category - Chose one of the four listed above. Use your best judgement.
  • Name of your project - Get creative here; it's what makes this fun!
  • Link to your build thread - Start a build thread for your entry, then post the link here. Use 2008 SSDC - ... as your title. Don't PM jludwick with the link! Post it here! (Edit your entry post if need be, and mark it NEW INFO in the post title. I will scan over the thread every so often to update).
  • Short description of your design goals.
That's all. Post all of your pictures and ideas to your build thread, not here.

Where are the rest of the rules?
Don't sweat it. Use your best judgement, and make decisions based on good faith. Keep it fun for everyone.
Last edited by jludwick; Sep 19, 2008 at 03:59 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 12:29 AM
iWeasel
Santa Barbara, CA
Joined Feb 2005
1,096 Posts
Voting Categories
There will be a popular vote, open to any RC Groups member, for each entry based on the following: (Yes, you can vote for your own.)
  • Overall Design - The general vote, all things considered.
  • Technical Achievement - Why didn't I think of that?
  • Performance - based on photos, video, and the honest commentary from the designer/builder/pilot.

Award Categories
Ah yes, the glory.
  • Peoples’ Choice - Most points overall.
  • Category Winner (for the other two categories depending on who wins Peoples' Choice)
  • Best Technical Achievement

The Prize Vault
A big thanks to those who are contributing prizes! Post to this thread if you want to contribute a prize.
The coveted trophy!
Last edited by jludwick; Sep 22, 2008 at 02:10 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 12:30 AM
iWeasel
Santa Barbara, CA
Joined Feb 2005
1,096 Posts
Name: jludwick
Category: Foam
Project Name: Jon's Wicked Wing
Build Thread: here
Design Goals: light-weight wing, no vertical stab, fits into trunk/boot of my Miata

Remember to start your build thread title with "2008 SSDC - "!
Old Jun 17, 2008, 12:32 AM
PWP!
USA, HI, Makawao
Joined Oct 2002
3,910 Posts
oh no you didn't.

You the man, Jlud.
ajroahkni is offline Find More Posts by ajroahkni
Old Jun 17, 2008, 01:56 AM
It's the best day ever!
Corte Madera (in Marin County, CA)
Joined Jan 2008
405 Posts
Name - Christian "YogiRaw" Bates
Category
- Open Class
Name of your project - Chia
Link to your build thread - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...42#post9984758
Short description of your design goals - NEW DESCRIPTION: "Chia" was the Mayan word for "strength and the Aztec word for "oily." Chia is also a superfood with an extraordinary biochemical makeup. Well a slope-strong and slick hard shelled sloper made of special materials is what my project is for sure. I am growing a Chia pet this summer: A seven foot span polycarbonate-winged wiffle-ball bat fuse speedster equipped with ailerons, flaps and elevator. The two piece wing will have a thin moldy shape, made using snips, carbon rods, and E6000. It will have an X-tail with bell crank h-stab. I have been drawing pics of this for some time and I got some polycarbonate in stock as well as a wiffle bat. Can barely wait for build-start date!
yogiraw is offline Find More Posts by yogiraw
Last edited by yogiraw; Jun 19, 2008 at 01:46 AM.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:38 AM
by ZIPPER
East Kurrajong Sydney Australia
Joined Aug 2004
5,629 Posts
Hi jludwick
It's good to see SSDC is up and running again.
We at Off The Edge Sailplanes would like to donate a Zipper kit to the prize pool.

Glenn
ZIPPER is online now Find More Posts by ZIPPER
Old Jun 17, 2008, 05:38 AM
EPP Rules!
Sunshine Coast, Australia.
Joined Oct 2003
354 Posts
Kye's Cocky

Woohoo!

Name: Kye McDonald
Category: Foam
Project Name: Kye's Cocky
Build Thread: HERE
Design Goals: A freaky 3-axis (pitch, roll, yaw) aerobatic EPP flying wing with a strong emphasis on knife-edge performance.
aussie is offline Find More Posts by aussie
Old Jun 17, 2008, 06:02 AM
Tearing the Skies a new one...
Sweden: Ystad
Joined Oct 2004
4,013 Posts
Retox 2 - This time it's serious.

Thanks Jon .. I've been itching to let this one out.

Name: "Sensible" Nick.
Category: Open Class
Project Name: Retox
Build Thread: Clickly Clicky
Goals: To Finish it this time.
Design Goals:Marketable Packable/Stow-able Light PNF plank for those days when the heavy-weight machinery doesn't cut it.. Ballastable for more blustery conditions. Supplied with bespoke box, it should be Capable of being quietly hidden in the car when packing for family holidays, or unobtrusively packed for entertainment on a business trip.
Sensiblenick is offline Find More Posts by Sensiblenick
Last edited by Sensiblenick; Jun 17, 2008 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Linky
Old Jun 17, 2008, 04:22 PM
iWeasel
Santa Barbara, CA
Joined Feb 2005
1,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPPER
We at Off The Edge Sailplanes would like to donate a Zipper kit to the prize pool.
Thanks Zipper!
Old Jun 18, 2008, 02:27 PM
If it ain't broke...break it!
South Coast, UK
Joined Jun 2006
912 Posts
The Instaron-Triumph of thought over effort..

I wasn't going too..but I couldn't help myself

Name: Hangtight
Catagory: Foam
Project Name: The Instaron
Build Thread: Press the button...
Design Goals: Mini pitcharon that can be put together in a day from whatever I can find lurking under the bench. Thinking of using a Kline-Fogleman foil for it's simplicity and benign characteristics at small Re #
Hangtight is offline Find More Posts by Hangtight
Last edited by Hangtight; Jun 18, 2008 at 02:38 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 05:23 PM
Biting ankles since '53
No Pants Island
Joined Feb 2007
2,944 Posts
Name: Mr Editor
Category: Open
Project Name: Tube boob
Build thread: Dope on the slope
Design Goal: An ultra portable glider for travel in a suitcaes. Ideally will fit in a prtective plastic tube of a coluple of inches diameter. Using a Jedelsky style wing with a profiled front third and a cloth rear section tensioned like a modern performance kite. Pod and boom fuse. Flexy tail. Probably use wing and tail warping instead of normal control surfaces.
mr_editor is offline Find More Posts by mr_editor
Last edited by mr_editor; Jun 18, 2008 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Adding a link
Old Jun 20, 2008, 01:47 PM
iWeasel
Santa Barbara, CA
Joined Feb 2005
1,096 Posts
Whoops! I guess since this is a leap year, the first day of Summer is TODAY (June 20th), not the 21st as advertised. Therefore BEGIN BUILDING!!!
Old Jun 20, 2008, 02:41 PM
It's the best day ever!
Corte Madera (in Marin County, CA)
Joined Jan 2008
405 Posts
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET! Happy Solstice everyone!
yogiraw is offline Find More Posts by yogiraw