HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2001, 08:54 AM
Crusty Banana-Sniffer
OXON, UK
Joined May 2001
61 Posts
ACT Me-163 Ready to Fly! God help me!

I recently posted on this board for some help on the ACT Me-163. I decided to go ahead and complete the little bugger.

It's currently set up to be as slow as I can get it with:

Speed 400
Gunther prop
7x600ae

Take a look at some small piccies of it at:
http://communities.msn.co.uk/Lauraan...ssadiknow.msnw

I'll be test flying it a bit later, and will probably have some didgey camera pics of it in bits!

Wish me luck!

Cheers,

Alex.
Smifta is offline Find More Posts by Smifta
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2001, 09:30 AM
England
Joined Mar 2001
74 Posts
All the very best Alex.

You're a braver man than me. I bought one about six months ago and it's still in the box. I hope it's successful so that I can badger you for some building tips.

Once again, Good Luck, Rob.
rob barham is offline Find More Posts by rob barham
Old Jul 30, 2001, 10:03 AM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,467 Posts
Hey, look at it like this......
50 odd years ago some poor sods had to fly the REAL ones ! At least there's no chance of your goolies getting burned off by T-Stoff.

Best of luck, Alex !

PS - You could be a real smart ass and post the results under SLOW FLYERS !
ChrisP is offline Find More Posts by ChrisP
Old Jul 30, 2001, 10:14 AM
RPV builder & operator
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2001
2,303 Posts
Looks good, but I'm intrigued by what seems like a large right thrust angle. Looking forward to your flight report.
Pierre Audette is offline Find More Posts by Pierre Audette
Old Jul 30, 2001, 10:22 AM
Crusty Banana-Sniffer
OXON, UK
Joined May 2001
61 Posts
There does seem to be some right thrust yes. but on the actual model it doesn't seem that bad at all!

But would I be correct in thinking that if any thrust line was there right thrust is better than left? (compete with engine torque?)

Please correct me if i am wrong!

Getting the jitters just thinking about flying this thing!

Cheers,

Alex.
Old Jul 30, 2001, 10:32 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,713 Posts
BTW, have you seen the new ME 163 kit from Galaxy? Foam wings, ABS fus., CNC cut wooden bits. 37" span for S480 and 8 cells (800/1100 mAh). Looks nice, should be a bit less of a handful to fly!
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Jul 30, 2001, 11:49 AM
RPV builder & operator
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2001
2,303 Posts
Alex, I've seen & used right and down thrust typically on geared models. My direct drive S400 planes have little if no angle on the thrust line. I have exactly the same power plant on my sport 400, and it tracks well with a straight motor.

However, I have limited experience with flying wings, so they may need more due to the limited tail moment. This is why I'm interested in your findings before I finish my scratch built one. Still not sure if I'm going to make it a pusher or puller.
http://www.geocities.com/pfaudette/eplane/me163.html

Old Jul 30, 2001, 02:42 PM
Crusty Banana-Sniffer
OXON, UK
Joined May 2001
61 Posts
Well,

Took the speed deamon out for a burn tonight... and good-god it moves out!

Thankfully I couldn't have asked for better conditions than this evening.

The wind was down but not completely dead.... perfect.

The sun was down, behind me and generally behind the clouds.... perfect.

The club ACE was there to take it up and trim it out for me.... wonderful stroke of luck!

Well, up it went first toss, hand launch was no big deal. Just needed a firm lob at 45 degrees-ish!

Needed some slight trim adjustment, but not much. The recommended reflex is perfect, but the C of G was a bit off. I set it well forward to start and it glided like a brick, put it a bit back and it flew great!

The default setup is pretty good. Although for my flying the ailerons were very high, and the elevator a bit low. This is why I was able to roll it easily but didn't manage a loop. (although the club expert did )

No real problem with the right thrust, certainly did not seem wrong. It tracked very well! The right thrust is actually build into the molding so I guess it is there for a reason!

Overall a very good flight. Ooops, forgot to say it came down very well if not a bit fast. But very scale A short bouce then flared it in!

I look forward to flying stock for a while, then moving upto 8x500ar's, changing to a CAM speed prop (4.75x4.75), and switching to a 480raceBB motor. Although it may be a while before I use all three upgrades together!

I'll hopefully be taking it out again tomorrow night, and should get a friend to take some video footage with a dv cam. I hope to get that posted so you can all check it out.

btw, I think the lower fusalage skid needs a bit more acrylic varnish to toughen it up a wee bit.

I must thank all the guys here on e-zone for the interest and advice. If you need any tips or help I'm always available! Although I think I'll need to fly for a while longer to get it completely dialed-in.

Cheers all,
Sorry if this was a tad long winded!

Alex.
Old Jul 30, 2001, 02:54 PM
RPV builder & operator
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2001
2,303 Posts
Congrats on your maiden flight. Could you share some additional stats, such as WS and weight?
Old Jul 30, 2001, 05:09 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,599 Posts
Well done Alex- and great flight report!

One thing I did wonder about - I notice from your pictures of your wee yellow beastie that you had left the piece of foam where the wing sits inside the fuselage intact rather than cutting it out - did you manage to slip your receiver under the wing with that foam block in place or have you mounted it under the wing before fixing the wing in place?

Great stuff- looking forward to seeing the video clip.

cheers

Leccy
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jul 30, 2001, 05:31 PM
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Jun 2001
220 Posts
I'm really tempted to get one of these kits, are there any pictures of the kit contents? How long is required for construction?
Anks is offline Find More Posts by Anks
Old Jul 30, 2001, 08:32 PM
Adelaide, SA, Australia
Joined Jul 2001
8 Posts
S&B Models also do an ME163 all pre fabricated EPP, I purchased on of their other planes, and it flies great.
Check it out at... http://members.optusnet.com.au/~darryl_smith/
Greenster is offline Find More Posts by Greenster
Old Jul 30, 2001, 09:52 PM
U.S.A.
Joined Jun 2001
183 Posts
HI,where did you get the ACT Me-163 from??
Can you give us the web. site address?
Thanks!
speedo is offline Find More Posts by speedo
Old Jul 31, 2001, 12:28 AM
Österreich, Oberösterreich, Laakirchen
Joined Jan 2001
3,345 Posts
http://www.acteurope.de/
Also a video is on this HP from the ME163 and the FOXBAT.

Rudi
Rudi is offline Find More Posts by Rudi
Old Jul 31, 2001, 01:24 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,599 Posts
Anks

Here is a link to the kit contents photo that I posted at the start of the Me163 Komet thread several months ago - I checked and the thread has now gone to the great bit bin in the sky.
http://members.aol.com/Leccyflyer/myhomepage/pet.html

How long to build? Depends entirely on the individual. If you really wanted to get this one in the air you could build it in an hour using 5-min epoxy. There are only five components in the kit - wing, upper fuselage moulding, lower fuselage moulding, slab of heavy ply for a tail and a motor tube. Ooops plus two tiny ply elevon control horns and non-scale decals.

The servo slots are pre-routed for HS-81-ish sized servos. The only significant cutting needed is to cut out and face the elevons and some builders haven't bothered with the hatch at all- merely securing the top deck with velcro or rubber bands for crash survivability.

How long has leccy been building his? Ooooooh what would it be...six months? Something like that. Nope. I've just had it pointed out to me that I bought my Komet at Woodvale last year- so that means its closer to twelve months than six

Incidentally price wise they seem to have gone up to £15-16 or so around these parts, they had been £11-12 originally. You will be able to pick one up at Woodvale this weekend - I wouldn't recommend this for a second or third model BTW but at those prices and the uncertainty that they will be available for a long time it would be worthwhile sticking one in the cupboard for later.

hth

Brian

[This message has been edited by leccyflyer (edited 07-31-2001).]
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer