HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jun 16, 2008, 08:13 PM
Nothing but high quality
United States, CT, Glastonbury
Joined Jun 2008
752 Posts
Question
Freedom Freedom Flyer (I love it and hate it)

delete
Dadude is offline Find More Posts by Dadude
Last edited by Dadude; Sep 02, 2013 at 06:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2008, 09:00 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadude
Hello RC groups
So I have 4 questions.
Do you think the motor was damaged( shaft bent, or broken)?
Do you think the speed control is broken?
Do you think I should by the aileron upgrade to prevent this from happening again?
Do you think that this was a good or bad starting plane?
Jon S
It sounds like you actually aren't doing too badly. Most people can't do anything but crash-n-trash for a good while. Try not to be too dismayed-the destruction learning curve is traumatic for everyone and part of the learning experience. It never goes away, though after awhile it gets a whole lot better.

1. How can we tell? Open it up and look. You can try to get it to turn over with a simple D-cell assuming you can disconnect the leads. Things should turn easily, not bind, and spin true-no wobbles.
Likely it's a geared drive and if it went in nose first it's likely something is amiss. You break 'em, you need to learn to fix 'em. You are going to learn WAY more about tape, glue, soldering, and reinforcement/repair than you ever imagined. And you thought you were doing this just to fly.

2. Only way to tell is substitute a new one. Did you check to make sure ALL connections are sound? Easy to knock things loose with a crash like that.

3. Absolutely not. If you can't control it now it'll just be worse with ailerons. Ailerons will make it even more touchy most likely. Ailerons will not help you with orientation or learning basic flying. Only practice will do that. FMS will help but is not the same as real flying.

4. Not one I'd recommend-Super Cub or Easy Star are tougher and better planes.
A good rule of thumb is that if a trainer doesn't have a HUGE forum thread dedicated to it you likely don't want it.

Megatech has a poor reputation though that one seems to be a plane that actually flies. My first plane was a Megatech Skyliner-it was terrible, wouldn't fly in the hands of a good pilot. The electrics I scavenged out for a Slow Stick died after 1 month. Not a company I have a lot of love for.
Hope you do better.

fly
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Jun 16, 2008, 09:27 PM
Nothing but high quality
Joined Jun 2008
752 Posts
Delete
Old Jun 18, 2008, 10:22 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,275 Posts
Clear packing tape is good for repair and reinforcement.
Bamboo skewers are great, cheap, light reinforcement.
Sumo or Gorilla glue is great. Both 'kick' with a bit of moisture (I use a drop of Elmer's white glue) and foam up. Sumo is white, original Gorilla is icky brown. Do a test batch before you actually use it to get a feel for what it does.
Low temp glue guns are fast and good for a lot of repair.

Most first planes are a kind of 'love affair' that like first relationships get trashed. Don't get too attached > you are going to likely ruin it.
Don't put a ton of money into it-there are better planes.
Have fun learning....ALL the stuff. It's a WAY more complicated sport than it first appears.

fly
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Jun 28, 2008, 07:26 PM
Nothing but high quality
Joined Jun 2008
752 Posts
Delete
Closed Thread