SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 16, 2008, 06:50 PM
Joined Feb 2008
4 Posts
Discussion
Vancouver Slope Soaring

Does anyone know any good locations for slope soaring in or around Vancouver BC?

Cheers
Cordaroy is offline Find More Posts by Cordaroy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2008, 06:58 PM
Texas Ranger
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2004
2,524 Posts
Hate to tell you this but this subject comes up once in awhile, and the answer is absolutely none All the Vancouver guys fly TD.
Neil Walker is offline Find More Posts by Neil Walker
Old Jun 16, 2008, 07:18 PM
Carbon User
YAL
Joined Jun 2005
729 Posts
Eagle Butte.
Pilebuck is offline Find More Posts by Pilebuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HF Ventus
Old Jun 16, 2008, 09:07 PM
what makes that thing go
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
2,059 Posts
I didn't know you guys had a Eagle Butte near Vancouver, that's so wild because there's actualy one in the Eastern part of Washington State...................OH.
ploof is online now Find More Posts by ploof
Old Jun 16, 2008, 09:14 PM
No slope for richardo
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2005
2,298 Posts
What about Whistler? I asked a guy (read seasonal worker) when I was up there at the beginning of May and he didn't know why not. I would guess that you would want to fly foam however. Would make a fun place to fly alpine w/ a Gondola ride and all...
Endless Sloper is online now Find More Posts by Endless Sloper
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 16, 2008, 09:28 PM
Texas Ranger
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2004
2,524 Posts
I've never looked too hard, but my thought is your best bet would be to head inland a bit rather than up to Whistler. Like Abbotsford/Chilliwack/Hope. A lot more hills that stand a better chance of not being covered in trees and/or stumps.
Neil Walker is offline Find More Posts by Neil Walker
Old Jun 16, 2008, 10:00 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2003
2,528 Posts
Sure there must be places for the right model ( maybe this foam stuff?) and an Eye what too look for .

Unfortunatly the TD guys don't have this Eye.

Cheers
Thomas
wakumann is online now Find More Posts by wakumann
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 16, 2008, 10:56 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
We used to fly over Wreck Beach years ago, amazing how many guys all-of-a-sudden ran out of lift. (Wreck Beach is the local nudist beach...) I don't know if they have banned the flying, they sure haven't banned the nudes.
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Jun 16, 2008, 11:14 PM
santa barbara
Joined Feb 2008
132 Posts
i grew up in vancouver for most of my life , now at the time i was there i did not fly rc. but with all the hills every where, there for surely is a hill that faces the wind some where . my first thought would be the hills by ubc . i think behind the museum of anthropology (2nd pic) is a large grass hill that faces the ocean . but i do not know if it has public access. just up the road from pacific spirit park on the side of the rd leading up the the anthropology museum is anouther park that faces the ocean. the planitarium has a smallish hill ,do not remember what way it faces. grouse mountain in the summer might be good for alpine soaring (ride the gondola up ). or cypress half way up has some 180 turns with pull outs for viewing.(could be a little like hong kong. first pic from lower viewing area.) . burnaby mountain, though i think any grass would be facing the wrong way (3rd pic from burnaby mountain park in winter.) . and if only that water shed that is on burnaby mountain was open the the public. never say never
gregore' is offline Find More Posts by gregore'
Last edited by gregore'; Jun 17, 2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 12:08 AM
Carbon User
YAL
Joined Jun 2005
729 Posts
I think it may be possible to slope fly off of some of the dykes and/or off one of the jetties around Lulu Island???
Pilebuck is offline Find More Posts by Pilebuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HF Ventus
Old Jun 17, 2008, 01:49 AM
Build A Rocket Boys!
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
4,055 Posts
Note to Pilebuck --I'll be without my kids on the Blanco trip... Change of plans but means more flying for me. Hope you can make it.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming....
PDX Slope Pilot is offline Find More Posts by PDX Slope Pilot
Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:39 AM
Joined Aug 2004
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakumann
Sure there must be places for the right model ( maybe this foam stuff?) and an Eye what too look for .

Unfortunatly the TD guys don't have this Eye.

Cheers
Thomas
Hey Thomas

some flat landers TD guys may not have the eye that you talk of but I have been quite successful finding slopes to fly in fact a few years back I mentioned that the butte on the way to Kiona looks like a spectacular site (chandler butte) I have flown at the anthropology museum at UBC and it had great lift but alas they planted trees to stop erosion in the prime slope spot...I have made many exploration trips with topo maps and local knowledge to find the elusive slope sites. I have flown in Princeton (miner mountain) and the mine tailings (west of princeton) I have also flown near cache creek (towards Kamloops) at thompson river estates...a great site when the wind cooperates...the trouble with most sites where we have slopes close to home is that the winds very rarely blow straight on. I have also scouted sites on the Columbia river and found two that I had never heard of anyone flying at....one at Mosier, east of world renowned Hood river, (near the cable vision towers) and across the river from Hood river above White Salmon. We used to fly in White Rock but some years ago Totem Poles were erected right in the LZ. it is still flyable there but it is tide dependant and of course the beach cannot be full of people. other sites close to Vancouver is Bellingham Wa. and Whidbey island with fort Casey and Penn cove for south winds, Ebeys Landing for SW winds, and Fort Ebey for westerlies as well as West beach road if the locals allow access still!

All this being said Eagle Butte is still the pilgramage of choice!
joefj is offline Find More Posts by joefj
Old Jun 17, 2008, 10:46 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2003
2,528 Posts
Hi Joe

I wasn't refering to you as a 'TD guy' even you fly for Canada in the F3J WC.

Or maybe you keep the Rodent and Avenger as an alibi?

Good luck in Turkey.

Cheers
Thomas
wakumann is online now Find More Posts by wakumann
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 17, 2008, 10:49 AM
Build A Rocket Boys!
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
4,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefj
I have also scouted sites on the Columbia river and found two that I had never heard of anyone flying at....one at Mosier, east of world renowned Hood river, (near the cable vision towers)
I have heard about a good site in this area...Do you have any other information about the site location, LZ conditions, etc? Thanks.

PDX
PDX Slope Pilot is offline Find More Posts by PDX Slope Pilot
Old Jun 17, 2008, 04:49 PM
Joined Feb 2008
4 Posts
Thanks for all of this... Bit disappointing really. Where is Eagle Butte?
Cordaroy is offline Find More Posts by Cordaroy