HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Aug 12, 2009, 03:05 PM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,791 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=952523

That is a brilliant link, Ryan. Thanks for all the other info as well.

Nick
nickchud is offline Find More Posts by nickchud
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2009, 06:53 PM
USA, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
I got the powersystem fired up tonight for the first time. No props on so no point in trying to take power readings. Both motors run and have the same off point and full throttle point on their ESC's. Interesting to note. When you have 2 ESC'sclose to each other and 2 motors with some distance between them and your head is inbetween it's really easy to tell that the beeping sound that occurrs during arming comes from the motors and not the ESC's. Next step will be too get a couple of props and toss them on and make sure the system runs okay under load.
RyanPSU21 is offline Find More Posts by RyanPSU21
Old Aug 16, 2009, 07:41 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
My fiancee left for a while to study somewhere other then the house so I got a chance to power it up again where I've got some space to throw props on. Out of luck I had a couple unopened 13x6.5 APC eprops in my field box which is close to the 13x8's I planned on using. Fired it up with those and pulled 762 watts at 65amps which is right where I was hoping to be with the 13x8's. So the 13x6.5's will do. I ran it for several minutes at different throttle settings and a bunch of off to full throttle to off cycles. Everything seemed to be working well. The ESC's were only warm to the touch as were the motors and the battery was just barely warm. So everything is good with the powersystem now so I can move on to doing the retract installation and setup and then sheet up the rest of the nacelles after that.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 09:44 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
I went for some aviation motivation today at the Selfridge ANG Base Airshow today. It's about 2 miles from home so I either go to the show or hear it and watch things flying over the house all day anyways. They had a B25 and C47 with demo flights for a dose of some classic twin engne. They also had a flyover of a B2 and then ended the show with the Thunderbirds.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 09:49 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
Tonight I bent the landing gear and setup the retracts and tried them out. I split 2 of the landing gear blocks while screwing in the retracts, one on each side so I will go back and glue some 1/8" ply squares under the blocks where they split under the screws. Both retracts work okay. The wheels are large for this size retract (4inch which is still smaller then scale) so they will likely have no trouble going down and locking even at low air pressure but will have trouble getting up. With 60psi in the tank I seemed to have about 2 reliable cycles and the third was either really slow or needed a little nudge to get going. I have a larger air tank that was in the box of something I got in ebay so I may go for that just to get a few more cycles into the retracts since it will have no trouble fitting into the plane.

I tried the torch method for bending the struts for the first time tonight. I took someone's advice I read somewhere and bent them in the vice at the same time. They both have the bend at close to the same height because of this which is good because I was expecting the wire to bend at the vice where it was clamped and instead they bent about a 1/4" higher then that. My strut length is a little short from the plans but still within the tolerance of fitting into the plane when retracted.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 09:09 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
I got quite a bit done today. I put the wiring and airlines into the wing. The wiring lines look quite good. I was just going to run them along the retract mount rails but then when I put them there through the firewall the wiring was going right against where the retract mounting screw was going to be poking through into them. I added an extra hole to the front former and now they look like they were intentionally planned to be routed that way from the beginnning.

I stuck the nacelle bottom framework back in that was taken out to get the retract installed. I got one nacelle completely planked on the bottom except for the little filler bit between the top and bottom halves. Only one nacelle bottom to go and then planking on this plane will be completely finished.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 09:26 PM
Fly2Build.com
Redding,California
Joined Dec 2003
2,604 Posts
Ryan,

That nacelle planking looks extra beautiful with what appears to be the amber-red shading of Ambroid between the planks. That's ol' skool baby. Ol skool rules.

Mike
scratchnhover is offline Find More Posts by scratchnhover
Old Aug 29, 2009, 11:12 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
Well, not that old school. It's just Titebond II. I use the method that Jim Young has in the articles here except that instead of thin CA to hold the planks to the formers I put a drop of thick CA down on each former before putting the plank down. I really don't like thin CA so I avoid it whenever possible. I cut the end of the plank to fit. I run Titebond down one edge of the plank and the end. I put thick CA on the formers. I squeeze the end of the plank in and usually the thick CA stays uncured long enough to hold the plank at each former long enough to stick and work my way to the end. I find it a lot less messy then dumping thin CA in at each former while trying to hold the plank in place. After it's holding I wipe the excess Titebond away which is what is giving it the ambroid at the seems look. I've also found that it goes best if I do the plans starting with one down the top centerline and one on the side gluing to the wing sheeting and then I alternate from the top and from the side until I end up with a small wedge left to be filled at the middle. I find this avoids the planks with a lot of bend in them that seems to happen when working from just the top down or just the side up.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 11:17 PM
Fly2Build.com
Redding,California
Joined Dec 2003
2,604 Posts
That's a great little video that Jim did. I enjoyed that too, and hadn't done much planking when I built his little H-1 racer- and I found that very helpful.

I don't like the Titebond II much at all- but I do really like the Type I for land-planes and the III for waterplanes. I just found the II to be too rubbery for my liking.

At any rate, great work and I'm enjoying lurking along with you Ryan.

Mike
scratchnhover is offline Find More Posts by scratchnhover
Old Aug 29, 2009, 11:29 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Ryan I agree on the planking. When I did the smaller version of the rainbow I did exactly that.I started at the top/bottom as well as the center sides. Then I could finish off the smaller ones towards the middle.
CapMike is offline Find More Posts by CapMike
Old Aug 29, 2009, 11:52 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
I haven't tried Titebond I. I've also tried some form of Elmers and found it about the same to work with. I never tried III either just because II is water resistant. I only bought a small thing of II this time just because my last container of it took a few years to go through. I think I will try III this time when it runs out.

My B24 and Albatross were both done starting on the side and working towards the top. I find that doing it that way that at the rear of the fuse where it's tapering down the plank radius keeps decreasing so each plank has to get bent to a tigher radius then the one before it.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 10:44 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
Tonight I finished up planking the other nacelle and did the little filler bits between the top and bottom halves. So finally planking on this plane is finished. Not my favorite task so I'm always glad to see it go.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 10:49 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2004
1,911 Posts
well done Ryan, glad to see she is moving along.

D-Rock
D-Rock is online now Find More Posts by D-Rock
Old Sep 02, 2009, 09:40 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
I got the nacelles sanded down now. Atleast past the rough sanding stage anyways. Enough of the nacelles now and time to move on to finishing up the ailerons and rest of the fuselage and tail.
Old Sep 08, 2009, 08:54 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
Tonight did some work on the ailerons. This was another area I didn't really plan how I was going to do them ahead of time and left it up until now. I copied how they were constructed in my Cub. I sheeted the wing trailing edge and left room for a 1/8" sheet. For the aileron side I am putting a 1/4" thick sheet to taper down. I also cut in some 1/4"x1/8" sticks at the aileron leading edge to stiffen it a bit. I also threw in a hardwood block where the aileron horn will attach. One side of the wing is finished now except for being cut free and the 1/8" and 1/4" sheets added. I will make the wing tips and sand down the wing before seperating them. This allows most of the majority of the aileron construction to be completed and the wing sanded without having to cut completely through the ribs and seperate anything. The B24 had a 1/4" sheet wing trailing edge at the ailerons that went inboard 2 wing ribs past the ailerons so it had to go in while the ailerons were being built and then sanded to shape while on the wing which was a huge pain. The sheeting chunk had to be shaped mid construction and the ribs had to all be split and then rejoined and I think the rejoining left the trailing edge with some twist.

I also put as many cap strips on as I could which means all of them except those that surround the where the aileron servo is going.

One aileron down and one left to go.
Closed Thread