SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Jan 29, 2009, 07:52 PM
USA, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Sep 2000
3,782 Posts
The other half of the wing is now finished to the point of the first half. Next thing now will be making the plywood joiners and attaching the 2 halves together. Then I will finish up the ailerons and leading edge sheeting.
RyanPSU21 is offline Find More Posts by RyanPSU21
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2009, 08:43 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,782 Posts
I made the wing joiners today and got the wings halves joined and the rear joiner in place. Once it dries I'll cut the slots into the ribs for the front joiner and then slide it into place. I got the rear one in with only breaking 1 rear rib half off the trailing edge so I did pretty good. I have a nice big wing now in the fully awkward to move around the workshop shape now. For my next build which is going to grow the wing a bit bigger then this I'll definetely be going to a 3 piece wing.
Old Feb 02, 2009, 08:42 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,782 Posts
I have the rear wing joiner completely finished now with the ribs reattached back to the joiner and spar. Tonight I slit the front rib set and glued the front joiner in.
Old Feb 02, 2009, 11:36 PM
Fly2Build.com
Redding,California
Joined Dec 2003
2,572 Posts
It's looking like a wing now, that's for sure! You're making good progress, glad things are going well.

Mike
scratchnhover is offline Find More Posts by scratchnhover
Old Feb 09, 2009, 08:15 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,782 Posts
I got the wing sheeting on. Half was done Thursday before going to my fiancee's place for the weekend and the other half done tonight. These have both been huge frustration. I bought 6 inch width balsa for doing them. I think 4 inch width would have been wide enough. The 6 inch width has a seem down the center where it appears 2 pieces of smaller wood have been joined. On both halves after wetting the wood and starting to glue it down the wood split down the joint. The first time I wasn't really expecting it so it turned to sort of a mess to fix. The other I had a lot of tape and pins out and the ca ready to try and glue the crack as soon as it started so the split is relatively small on the right side. I did discover from this, CA will not adhere to wood that is already coated with titebond even if you use accelerator. The good thing from the weekend is that I did get a lot of work done on the drawing for my next design.
Old Feb 09, 2009, 08:41 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,244 Posts
I've noticed some "big name" balsa suppliers doing this stuff. NOT a sign of a high quality product! One sheet I saw recently even had two grain types joined on the same sheet. Glad to see you got it sorted out, though.

Geoff
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Feb 09, 2009, 09:06 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Looking good Ryan. I was doing a bit on mine as well. I too ran into a sheet that had different grain/density edge glued together. This is common in the lumber industry to make up larger sheets. Does not make a good joint though. I hear you on the splitting of the wood. Mine tried to do the same thing after soaking the crap out of it.
CapMike is offline Find More Posts by CapMike
Old Feb 09, 2009, 09:59 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,019 Posts
Yeah, I've come to the conclusion that buying "hobby store" balsa in anything larger than 3" or 4" wide sheets is counterproductive. I'll join it myself if necessary.

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Feb 09, 2009, 10:11 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
Yeah, I've come to the conclusion that buying "hobby store" balsa in anything larger than 3" or 4" wide sheets is counterproductive. I'll join it myself if necessary.

James
James some of this comes from a well known supplier. I ordered mine last summer and Ryan ordered his a few weeks ago. It is from all suppliers. It comes from the mills and not where we buy it from. Unfortunatly thats just how they get the larger sheets. I do agree with you though. anything wider than 4" and I will just join it myself.
CapMike is offline Find More Posts by CapMike
Old Feb 10, 2009, 04:46 AM
Joined Sep 2000
3,782 Posts
In the future if I really need something large then 4 inch I'll get 2 sheets and join myself. I really only needed 4 inch this time but ordered 6 inch because I really wasn't sure how wide I was going to make the leading edge sheeting at the time I ordered the wood.

The wood at the LHS is much worse. With the sheets I ordered they are fairly consistent across the sheet. With the stuff from the LHS the grain isn't consistent within the sheet and it all seems to have a hard spot somewhere in the middle that is really difficult to cut.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 08:38 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,782 Posts
Tonight I started working out the retract install since that is what is coming next now. Time for some fun stuff after the wing structure.

I am drawing it onto the plans. I think I am going to use 1/16" ply rib doublers and then use some hardwood rails to build a support for it. The retract itself inorder to get the up and down wheels into the right position needs to sit just under the leading edge of the wing. The hardwood supports should take the load up to the front wing spar and to the leading edge which will get a hardwood bit across it at that point. The front wing spar will have to get a a cutout for the air cylinder to fit but it should not be a problem since I can easily stick a small piece in to bridge it and it's in the area where the plywood dihedral brace is also attached. The front spar is smaller and secondary to the rear spar.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 07:29 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,782 Posts
Tonight I am continuing on about day 4 of WWIII with the retracts. I have redrawn the mounting location 3 times now but think I finally have it. 1st time was just to draw them in at the locations on the plan. Try 2 figured out that the at try 1 location the retract was going to be hanging halfway outside the bottom of the nacelle. After going to the LHS today to pick up some 4 inch wheels I realized that the wheels were not going to clear the air cylinder when retracted so try 3 redrew the mounting again with longer struts. To do this I had to draw the wheel a bit farther forward on the ground and had to bite a bit more into the lower wing spar. I think all is good this time.

I cutout the mounting rails from some hardwood and then laid out the spacing for the rails by drawing on my building board and then glued some balsa I made into T-beams onto them so that they will both be aligned correctly with respect to each other. I cut out a couple of pieces to jig those with respect to the inboard wheel wheel wing rib. I cut out some plywood pieces to reinforce the ribs in front of the bottom spar and glued them in. Tomorrow I can then get the rails positioned onto the wing and start gluing in the hardwood supports connecting the rails to the wings and front spar and ply joiner.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 01:02 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,782 Posts
I got the rest of the landing gear blocks installed today on the wing and also put in another piece of plywood to bridge the area I will be cutting through the lower spar. I did a square of 1/8" ply and also put a small strip of spar material along it's top edge so that there is a nice little box structure surrounding where the spar will be cut.

The hardwood rails are now glued in with their supports. When the epoxy has had some time to cure later I can cut the jig parts back off again.

I feel like I've added a ton of weight in here during these steps for the gear mounts. Hopefully not more then a few extra ounces. Hopefully I won't get out the hardwood rails or 1/8" ply too many more times during the build.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 08:47 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,782 Posts
Did a lot of miscelaneous junk on the wing the last 2 days. Got the rib trailing edge tabs cut off and the trailing edge sheeting put on. Did a bunch of sanding and repaired the split leading edge sheeting to the point it's not really noticable now. Started on the sheeting in the area the nacelle's will go. Not really sure how those are going to be built but that is coming up next as soon as I get the sheeting on the other side and top sides.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 08:54 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,782 Posts
The sheeting is done on the fuselage where the nacelle's go so I can get started on those now. I'm really making this part up as I go now and still not really sure how all the costruction will go. I got the firewalls made tonight and jigged them together for spacing and angle. Hopefully I'll get these on and finished in the next few days to have any chance of getting done by the dealine at all.
Closed Thread