HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jun 06, 2010, 10:51 PM
USA, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
I got things cleaned up in my workroom after completing the Enforcer and getting all the bugs worked out and getting back to work on this now. Tonight I got one nacelle cowl mounted to the wing.
RyanPSU21 is offline Find More Posts by RyanPSU21
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2010, 11:04 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
After a few months of distraction I am finally going to get some time to get going on this plane again. I have to admit now I haven't been able to fly anything since the beginning of July. I have been putting my model building/repair skills to good use on a bit different scale. I bought a Craigslist fixer-upper special boat in mid july after seeing a deal I couldn't pass up. I've spent the rest of the summer repairing it so have not been able to fly or work on any plane related activitiy. I finally finished the repairs tonight just in time to winterize the boat and put it away for the winter.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 06:57 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,538 Posts
Modeling on a large scale, Ryan. Nice work, I think I would have been a tad intimidated by the extent of the damage at the hull/deck join. That's a high stress area. Beautiful finish. Maybe you could put a thread in Scale Sailboats. :-)

Looking forward to you resuming the smaller build. Jeff
jhspring is online now Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Oct 12, 2010, 11:21 AM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
signing up... nice job, and a good read sofar!

cheers
craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Oct 12, 2010, 11:45 AM
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhspring View Post
Modeling on a large scale, Ryan. Nice work, I think I would have been a tad intimidated by the extent of the damage at the hull/deck join. That's a high stress area. Beautiful finish. Maybe you could put a thread in Scale Sailboats. :-)

Looking forward to you resuming the smaller build. Jeff
Gelcoat may be the worst substance imaginable to work with. It's not as bad as it looked. The actual hull to deck joint is under the rubrail below the damage. These boats have a full hull liner mold and headliner mold in addition to the hull and deck. There was only actually 1 layer of medium glass plus a lot of filler on the edge of the deck going down to the joint. The main structure of the boat comes from the hull liner and hull connections which also come together at the rubrail. The damage was actually mostly just cosmetic.

I built an AC class model yacht before which was I think about 80 inches long. I've had an itch for a while to build another boat so I might after this plane is done. I've wanted for a while to do either a ketch rig boat sailing yacht or something military like a Destroyer.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 02:50 PM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,538 Posts
Destroyers are fun, and get a lot of attention at the pond. My next one will have rotating turrets. Jeff
jhspring is online now Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Jan 05, 2011, 09:42 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
Finally finding some time to work on this in the last few days. I'm building the air-inlets in the cowls. I have the left side pretty finished except for a bunch of filling and sanding to get the final shape. Just put the wood on the right side and haven't done any shaping at all yet.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 11:30 PM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Great to see it is still underway!

Cheers
Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Oct 13, 2013, 09:46 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
I have decided after making no progress on this plane or flying anything RC for several years now that I am willing to let this plane go to anyone who is willing to try to finish it. I will give it away along with the motors/ESC and retracts I was going to use with it. I no longer have the CAD files or any associated files or research after a laptop crash a couple years ago. I don't see this plane making any progress in the next few years and my plan after the next few years is going back to apartment life and maybe not having much of a workshop. I no longer have a car this plane will fit in either. I will let this plane and parts go for free to anyone who wants to try to finish it. The stipulation is that you will have to pick it up. It is located in zipcode 48045. Message me back on here or reply to the thread if you are interested.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 08:29 AM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Ryan I sent you a PM.
CapMike is offline Find More Posts by CapMike
Closed Thread