HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Oct 21, 2009, 07:51 PM
USA, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Sep 2000
3,783 Posts
After about a month off I've finally started making some headway on this thing again. I finished up the second aileron and cap stripping in a few slow sessions. Tonight I trimmed up the wing tip ribs and started making the wing tips. I haven't laminated anything for a while so went with that method. Not for any good reason other then feeling like it. I made a quick mold from some cardboard and soaked and glued the first tip tonight. Used 5 strips of 1/16x1/4 balsa to do it.
RyanPSU21 is online now Find More Posts by RyanPSU21
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2009, 08:15 PM
It flew once before...
Northwood , New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
Ryan ,

Great build Good to see your still at it

We miss your presence in this years FunBuild

-John
jofrost is offline Find More Posts by jofrost
Old Oct 21, 2009, 08:34 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,783 Posts
I want to really make sure this plane gets finished this winter so I'm hesitant to start another build until this is done. I haven't ruled out Fun Build 3 yet. Just not feeling a strong urge toward anything right now that fits the theme. If I do it, it needs to be something Lasered that I can finish up the structure very quick and preferably fitting a powersystem and radio I already have.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 09:52 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,783 Posts
Got both wingstips attached and built some structure around them. They look like really good WWI Biplane wingtips stuck what is supposed to be heavy metal. Atleast the laminations look good in the pictures now since they will dissappear in the covering in a couple months. This view shows how little sheeting is on the wing in my attempt to save weight and keep this thing light.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 06:19 AM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanPSU21 View Post
I haven't ruled out Fun Build 3 yet. .
Being a terribly slow builder, I never finish contest models, but this time I entered a laser-cut kit! Just shake the box, add glue, and it's done! Call Pat Tritle, Charlie Bice, Mike McFarland, Kurt Bingston, et al. and git yerseff a quick build!
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Oct 28, 2009, 05:17 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffinpdx View Post
Being a terribly slow builder, I never finish contest models, but this time I entered a laser-cut kit! Just shake the box, add glue, and it's done! Call Pat Tritle, Charlie Bice, Mike McFarland, Kurt Bingston, et al. and git yerseff a quick build!
I think my Albatross DVa from Kurt was my longest build ever going close to 2 years.

A lot of my lack of motivation this time is I'm just not that thrilled with the theme. It's probably my least favorite period of aviation. The lasercut choices seem to pretty much be air-racer or Cub. I just built a Cub last winter. Air Racer's are just something that doesn't get me going. I've got an old Miss Los Angelos vintage kit but it's just not really scale enough to be a contest plane. I know this plane qualifies in that era being that the first flight just squeaks in the September 1939 deadline since it's first flight was March 1939 but not really in the funbuild spirit since it's my own plans.

The one plane that really interests me is the DH Express and DH Rapide from Ivan http://ivansplans.com/ I like the uniqueness of the multi engine biplane. If I wasn't trying to finish up this plane I'd go for one of those 2.

My next few build desires right now are more or less as follows:

4 engine bomber or airliner. Boeing 307 I'm designing, another B24 scaled up a bit from the last one or a B17.

An A10. I've wanted to do this plane for a long time now so it's likely going to be next. I may actually do something really unlike me and get a wowplanes kit and do a foamie.

Another try at a P47.

A WWI fighter. I've been thinking about trying Pat's Jenny or getting really ambitious and going for a Balsa USA quarter scale.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 06:05 PM
It flew once before...
Northwood , New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
Ryan ,

A DH Rapide would be cool ! I understand not wanting too many projects going at once , especially the larger models you build .

An A10 is definately a neat project . I have looked at Pats A10 many times and haven't pulled the trigger yet , but if I ever venture into a DF model that would be my choice also ( with the F4 Phantom close behind )

Hopefully future Funbuild "themes" may be of interest ...

-John
jofrost is offline Find More Posts by jofrost
Old Oct 29, 2009, 08:24 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,783 Posts
I finally got back to work on something other then the wing tonight. I spent some time and made the elevator linkage and added a few pieces of the tail on. I just looked back to see when the last time I worked on non-wing was and it was in early July when I made the tailwheel. It was January when I did the last woodwork on something other then wing.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 08:48 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,783 Posts
I came into a great big huge giant oh crap moment tonight on the build. My fiancee asks tonight "How big is this one?" I go "I think about 81inches" She goes. It really looks bigger then that. We get out the ruler and oh crap, it's 86 inches from tip to tip. I go look back in this thread and measure the CAD and it should be 81.3inches. I go and measure the plans printed and sure enough they are printed at 86 inches. I check my measurement square on the wing plan and it's about 1 and 1/16". So I then go into panic mode and check the fuselage. It's 59.5 inches and should be 58.8 inches. I check the measurement square there that I thought I checked when I got the plans in the mail and it's only slightly bigger then an inch. The measurement squares are 1 inch squares I draw in several places on the plans to check the printout to prevent this very thing. Next time obviously measure a longer dimension such as the fuselage length and the wing span. Now the true oh crap sets in. The wing to tail ratio in CAD should be 81.6/58.8 = 1.388. In actuality it is 86.75/59.5= 1.45. They are not proportionately correct as the wing plan was slightly enlarged more then the fuselage. This would be liveable except that now the wing rib that should fit the wing saddle should be 17 3/8inches but is now 18 1/4 inches so almost an inch too big for the fuselage. This wouldn't be the end of the world except that the fuselage is built so that the wing was meant to be flattened at the leading and trailing edge even with this wing rib. The ply wing mount is flush with the front or R2 and the fuselage tapers just behind here. There isn't an exta almost inch of room here to make the wing fit. The picture shows the fuselage where the 2nd wing rib should be fitting and where there isn't an extra inch of room to account for my now oversize wing. I'm at a huge I don't know what to do moment right now and this one might not be passable. Time to go to the club tonight for Halloween with the fiancee who's dressed like a schoolgirl. Hopefully tomorrow morning's after effects will being about a solution to this.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 09:05 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,022 Posts
Any way to make the "cut-out" in the wing smaller to fit the fuse? I realize the root at the fuse sides may look "interesting," but probably better than rebuilding either wing or fuse.

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Oct 30, 2009, 10:13 PM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,573 Posts
That is called 'Sport Scale'
If it looks really crap - it's called 'Stand-off Scale'
If it's grossly crap to look at - it's called 'Kindling'

Now personally, I'd probably never have known the difference, but I know how you feel.
If you can't bring yourself to stomp on it, then carry on regardless

It is still a great build, I hope you keep going.

Phil

Girlfriend in a schoolgirl uniform hey?
This plane should be the last pursuit you should be focussing today
Smokin' Beaver is offline Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
Old Oct 30, 2009, 10:59 PM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Sonoma County CA!
Joined Jul 2007
1,337 Posts
Yeowtch! That's a bummer. Well, at least the wing is the one that's too big.

Smokin' Beaver--you hit that one on the head.

Paul
Longhorne is offline Find More Posts by Longhorne
Old Oct 31, 2009, 03:52 AM
Kitchener, Ontario
Joined Oct 2007
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanPSU21 View Post
I came into a great big huge giant oh crap moment tonight on the build. My fiancee asks tonight "How big is this one?" I go "I think about 81inches" She goes. It really looks bigger then that. We get out the ruler and oh crap, it's 86 inches from tip to tip. I go look back in this thread and measure the CAD and it should be 81.3inches. I go and measure the plans printed and sure enough they are printed at 86 inches. I check my measurement square on the wing plan and it's about 1 and 1/16". So I then go into panic mode and check the fuselage. It's 59.5 inches and should be 58.8 inches. I check the measurement square there that I thought I checked when I got the plans in the mail and it's only slightly bigger then an inch. The measurement squares are 1 inch squares I draw in several places on the plans to check the printout to prevent this very thing. Next time obviously measure a longer dimension such as the fuselage length and the wing span. Now the true oh crap sets in. The wing to tail ratio in CAD should be 81.6/58.8 = 1.388. In actuality it is 86.75/59.5= 1.45. They are not proportionately correct as the wing plan was slightly enlarged more then the fuselage. This would be liveable except that now the wing rib that should fit the wing saddle should be 17 3/8inches but is now 18 1/4 inches so almost an inch too big for the fuselage. This wouldn't be the end of the world except that the fuselage is built so that the wing was meant to be flattened at the leading and trailing edge even with this wing rib. The ply wing mount is flush with the front or R2 and the fuselage tapers just behind here. There isn't an exta almost inch of room here to make the wing fit. The picture shows the fuselage where the 2nd wing rib should be fitting and where there isn't an extra inch of room to account for my now oversize wing. I'm at a huge I don't know what to do moment right now and this one might not be passable. Time to go to the club tonight for Halloween with the fiancee who's dressed like a schoolgirl. Hopefully tomorrow morning's after effects will being about a solution to this.
Not really that hard to fix this up. Really only 2 steps.

Step 1. Make new wing to fit original fuselage.
Step 2. Make new fuselage to fit original wing.

Now you will have 2 aircraft both a different scale but close enough together that you can probably interchange most parts from one to the other.

Cheers

Don
dsquire is offline Find More Posts by dsquire
Old Oct 31, 2009, 10:25 AM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,726 Posts
Ryan -

Would suggest modifying the wing's l.e. and t.e. to fit the fuselage saddles by cutting back a recess and filling in to meet structural needs. I suppose you could cut and add a section in the fuselage with a little reshaping of the saddle contours too.

Yech... a bummer there...
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Old Oct 31, 2009, 12:03 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,245 Posts
Wouldn't it be relatively easy to saw the fuselage in half and add a bit of length?
A scary proposition, perhaps, but no worse than repairing a crashed model.

Geoff
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Closed Thread