SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Jun 15, 2008, 09:27 PM
USA, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
Discussion
Martin 167 Maryland design and build.

Edit 9/6/08 I'm just editing the thread title to include the build off designation since this will be my entry.

It's time to start the next project or start thinking about it anywhere. I'm going to make my second swing at designing a plane on this and started on the plans tonight.

I'm going to make a Martin167 Maryland which was a US pre-WWII bomber. It is going to be 1/9th scale which gives it a wingspan of about 81.3 inches. Power is going to be something cheap such as 2 speed600's or cheap brushless. Around 600 watts should be good for scale like performance. Construction is going to be as much stick as I can with minimal sheeting to come out as light as possible. It will have retracts and probably flaps too. Wing area will be around 980in^2. I'm thinking of a final weight around 7 to 8 lbs. That will give a wingloading somewhere between 16-18 oz/ft^2
RyanPSU21 is offline Find More Posts by RyanPSU21
Last edited by RyanPSU21; Jun 18, 2009 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Changing the title since the contest is over but the plane is not.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2008, 12:46 AM
It must have a machinegun
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Sep 2004
1,283 Posts
The Maryland is of interest to me because my great uncle went missing over the mediterranean while piloting one.

I see you found a good three view. I couldn't find one. Nice plane to model, flat sides and mostly simple curves. You could paint it in RAF or maybe French colours.

Best of luck.
Scaledown is offline Find More Posts by Scaledown
Old Jun 16, 2008, 08:21 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
I found in in some link someone posted a few days ago in general chat. It's not a great 3view. I've already found some dimension discrepencies between views. It will do though.

I chose this because it appears like it will be a fairly easy structure to recreate. It's proportioned nicely like a fairly generic plane with more generous wing area then WWII designs. I can't recall ever seeing a model of it done yet though as soon as I say that 10 people will probably jump in saying they've already done it. Most were built and sent to the RAF or French so undoubtly in the end it will get one of those 2.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 10:10 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
Some more CAD work done tonight. I spent most of the time trying to consolidate the horizontal stab between the side and top views and some photos of the real thing. I also drew some divisions to make where formers will go. I drew in the outline of the fuselage where the non curved box section will be. The 3view I have shows the fuselage top as being slightly curved. Every photo I can find gives the appearance anyways that the fuselage top is straight until the rear of the fuselage where it curves up to the tail.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 10:18 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,175 Posts
Unsolicited advice.....You prolly do not need flaps. In fact, the weight you'll add putting them in will probably result in not as much effect.

If you build light, you'll have a floater on your hands and will not need the flaps.

If the retracts go forward or rearward, balance for flight with the gear UP.

If I were designing it, I'd simplify the elevator break line and make it straight, much easier linkage, and weight saved.

Good luck neat choice.
I'm looking at the B32 Dominator....

C ya at MidAm!
Mark
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Jun 16, 2008, 10:25 PM
brennanj2
Australia
Joined Mar 2005
384 Posts
RAF would be good.
Adrian Warburton ( one of the most highly decorated of all the RAF WWII pilots) did some pretty spectacular recon missions with this aircraft based from Malta during the early stages of WWII see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Warburton
for a brief summary.

A good read is Warburtons War by Geoffrey Spooner if you want a little more detail. It seems he had some affection for this aircraft and its flying characteristics.

Good luck with the build, I will watch it with interest

John
brennanj2 is offline Find More Posts by brennanj2
Last edited by brennanj2; Sep 13, 2008 at 09:17 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 11:14 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
Thanks for the link.

I just spent an hour doing a search for potential color schemes. Lots of plastic model pictures. Not many pictures of the real thing. There is a you-tube video of one in flight surprisingly enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zdmrRA_yq4

Though it's way out now. This one is kind of interesting.

Thanks for the advice Mark. I might do that with the elevator. I built something before with the angle off. It can go easily if you don't hide the linkage and just shove some flexi pushrods off each side. I think even to hide it some aileron torque rods would probably do nicely. The rudder always seems to be the one I can never think of a way to hide.

The gear go rearward. I've already got a set of air retracts laying around that will go well for this. I would think if the gear is going rearward you'd balance for gearup so you are balancing at it's most tail heavy point. Similar to the balance tank empty thing for glow flying.

If I can keep the weight down flaps shouldn't be needed. Even at a heavyweight they still shouldn't really be needed at this size anyways. We'll see how they go. I can't find any pictures of the flaps down except one bottom view from the front so I can't see if they are split flaps or conventional. I suspect conventional just from what looks like hinge lines on the top surface of the wing.

I was really thinking of doing a Westland Whirlwind but then I noticed you already did plans for that so I went looking for something else.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 04:49 AM
Ay up it's warped
Derbyshire UK
Joined Feb 2003
1,306 Posts
I have a book with a few lines on the Maryland and this picture, I can only scan it upside down? and it has degraded a bit electronically turning it the correct way up
If you want a full quality scan drop me a PM that an e-mail address. It does look like plain flaps and that part of the engine nacelle dropped down with them.
Looking at the picture on the thread it does not look that bad, a useful shadow across it picks out some of the lumps and bumps!

Mark
mtbrider is offline Find More Posts by mtbrider
Old Jun 23, 2008, 10:41 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
I spent the last few days roughing out the fuselage cross sections by getting the dimensions transferred from the top and side view. I think I have that part done for all but 1 or 2 tonight where I have decided since starting that I really should have a cross section.

I am starting to think about airfoil to cook up the wing on Profili. I am thinking right now that this will probably get a Clark-Y or something similar. I have thought about just going flat bottom also but will probably go for something semi-symmetrical instead.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 08:45 AM
It must have a machinegun
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Sep 2004
1,283 Posts
I'm by no means an expert on airfoils, but I've used the NACA 2412 on a number of warbirds and been happy with the results. Clark Y is good too, just not as capable for inverted.
Scaledown is offline Find More Posts by Scaledown
Old Jun 25, 2008, 07:33 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
yeah, the bombers weren't generally known for doing high speed inverted passes though.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 09:08 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
I've go some more work done. I have the fuselage pretty much finished up. I am working on the wings and the nacelles right now. I have the landing gear geometry worked out tonight and am staring with the cross sections. Sometime in the next few nights I need to churn out some wing ribs and spacing on Profili.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 05:37 AM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,353 Posts
This is a little late but back around 1948, I bought a book of Wylam plans from Model Airplane News. Two of the plans were of the Maryland and Baltimore. I really didn't pay too much attention to those plans since I was primarily interested in the P40 and P51. I never throw away airplane books and magazines but somehow that one got away. Wish I still had it.
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA
Old Jul 17, 2008, 01:25 AM
United States, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jan 2001
1,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckA
This is a little late but back around 1948, I bought a book of Wylam plans from Model Airplane News. Two of the plans were of the Maryland and Baltimore. I really didn't pay too much attention to those plans since I was primarily interested in the P40 and P51. I never throw away airplane books and magazines but somehow that one got away. Wish I still had it.

There were at least three volumes in that set. I've got volumes 2 and 3. Nice looking drawings, tho I've heard that they aren't all that accurate sometimes.
georgeg is offline Find More Posts by georgeg
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2008, 09:12 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
Some more progress made on this thing finally now. I got the nacelle cross sections roughed out and also the stab and elevator. The wing planform being the last major part to rough out left. Time to drag profili out soon and make the rib outlines. I took Mark's suggestion and got rid of the sweep from the elevator to simply things. For the fin and stab I plan on doing the curved portions as laminations. To limit this thing to as few parts that need to be traced and cut as possible, the stab is going to be pretty much a slab with tapering. The full scale in drawings don't show much taper except at the tip. The fin will probably need to have ribs with a foil shape to some degree. This won't be lasercut by anyone and I'm trying to design it to use as much scrap wood as I already have laying around as possible while also being as light and easy to build as possible.
Closed Thread