HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2010, 05:09 PM
Hampshire UK
Joined Oct 2008
363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j6myw View Post
Just finished building my third one and it coming in a bit on the heavy side @ 2.9kg has anyone else got one this fat and is there much difference in performance??
She flys fine with with still great vertical climb, in fact i didn't notice anything much difference at all. First flight was off a bungee,, (worked well) second flight went for a hand launch from my trusty assistant, was fine but could notice the extra weight a little bit to start with but as soon as the air speed picked up she was off, but she was fine coming in not much difference there, so over all 10 out of 10, I do have a short vid will post soon
j6myw is offline Find More Posts by j6myw
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2010, 05:26 PM
Hampshire UK
Joined Oct 2008
363 Posts
OK not the best vid but its all he got, looking for a new trusty assistant.

fly fly mirage at hedge end (1 min 1 sec)
j6myw is offline Find More Posts by j6myw
Old May 03, 2010, 09:43 PM
Intermediate Pilot
Chapel Hill, NC
Joined Dec 2005
338 Posts
RC Lander electric retracts with FlyFly Mirage 2000

I'm building my first Mirage and I got a set of RC Lander electric retracts to install.

They're considerably larger than the mechanical-turned-into-fixed retracts that came from flyfly. I've just started fitting them, but clearly I'm going to have to do some additional foam trimming to make them fit well. I just would like to make sure I'm putting them in the best place.

1. In the stock locaiton, here is how they sit even after I shaved down the styrofoam under the main rail block a little bit to make it flush with the rest of the foam and mocked up the additional reinforcing blocks on top. Not enough clearance by far in the vertical direction. Do I have enough room on the wing to dig down in here and make it fit? Or should I be moving things in towards the fuselage?

2. I saw in the other thread that kelvin moved his air retracts considerably inboard and made then retract into the centerline of the fuselage. With his wheels on the inside of the axles. Is this a good move? How about flipping the struts to have the wheels on the outside?

3. The nose wheel strut that comes from RC Lander is WAY SHORTER than the FlyFly one, but it is clearly stronger and is a trailing link. Any ideas on how to make this work or am I stuck with the flyfly dual-wheel nose strut?

Thanks for all ideas.
preston_brown is offline Find More Posts by preston_brown
Old May 18, 2010, 08:12 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,715 Posts
I would make the mounting panels bigger, spread the load out from front to back of the wing more. You need to have the nose slightly higher so looks like you are going to have to use the flyfly leg.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old May 18, 2010, 09:20 PM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,455 Posts
After a friends bad hand launch I now wish I had retracts on this plane. I'm eager to hear how they work out.

My Mirage is a little scarred up but still flies great. My first maiden after the repair showed my canopy mount wasn't as tight as it used to be. It ejected about 1/4 mile from the field. I was fortunate to find it after about 30 minutes of searching. Many flights since then and its getting ugly from hanger rash and its earlier repairs. Maybe time to look at moving the guts to something with retracts.
ducatirdr is online now Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Sep 27, 2010, 06:24 AM
Xpc
Niger, Diffa, Nguigmi
Joined Jun 2010
188 Posts
Hi guys do you need 2 or 3 servos for this jet ?
Thanks
Xpc is offline Find More Posts by Xpc
Old Sep 27, 2010, 07:31 AM
Where did Steve go ?
Alexandra
Joined Jul 2007
3,311 Posts

1 retract canopy
2 thrust vector
2 ailerons
1 rudder

nah just 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpc View Post
Hi guys do you need 2 or 3 servos for this jet ?
Thanks
flyingrally is offline Find More Posts by flyingrally
Old Sep 27, 2010, 03:45 PM
Xpc
Niger, Diffa, Nguigmi
Joined Jun 2010
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingrally View Post

1 retract canopy
2 thrust vector
2 ailerons
1 rudder

nah just 2
Thanks i tried to send a PM to Wobby as you suggested but his box is full LOL
Last edited by Xpc; Sep 28, 2010 at 05:35 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 05:35 AM
Xpc
Niger, Diffa, Nguigmi
Joined Jun 2010
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunggorb View Post
This bird rocks! I just maidened mine hehe setup is

HET 6904 rotor, stock housing
Het 600-37-2 motor
8s, 2 x 4s 3700 25C rhino lipos....
HET 100A HV Controller... (sucks to program.... i need the programming card as i'm stuck on slow start... which is ok too if as turbines take a bit to spool up )

... Hand launched, no gear, only the belly is glassed.

I had one downwind pass that was pretty clean in about 36C temperature, my doppler came out as about 128 MPH

Its not the cheapest bird to setup but its worth it! we got a vid which i'll try to post later once i get it uploaded
Hi there nice setup i'm doing one with the same motor & fan but i have a question my local hobby shop is a HET dealer and told me not to run HET 600-37-2 on more then 6s or i would fry it for a 8s setup he said i should run the HET 600-42 i'm going with Hyperion G3 4200mAh 35c 6s lipo he runs the same setup in a HEt sniper 90 and puts out around 1250 watts of power that should be plenty for the Mirage
Old Sep 28, 2010, 07:06 PM
Xpc
Niger, Diffa, Nguigmi
Joined Jun 2010
188 Posts
Well it looks like this thread is dead thanks flyingrally
Old Sep 28, 2010, 07:40 PM
Where did Steve go ?
Alexandra
Joined Jul 2007
3,311 Posts
Most have moved on to the other airframes. I have come back to this one because I believe this to be the best airframe fly fly make and have started building another. going 8s with an arc and the new Hobby City 70c batts on a wemo fan. Not a new setup but one proven to work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpc View Post
Well it looks like this thread is dead thanks flyingrally
flyingrally is offline Find More Posts by flyingrally
Old Sep 28, 2010, 08:18 PM
Xpc
Niger, Diffa, Nguigmi
Joined Jun 2010
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingrally View Post
Most have moved on to the other airframes. I have come back to this one because I believe this to be the best airframe fly fly make and have started building another. going 8s with an arc and the new Hobby City 70c batts on a wemo fan. Not a new setup but one proven to work
You must be talking about the nano-tech lipos from hobbyking i use them on my HET Tucano great lipos but let's get it right they are 35c constant 70c burst and 8c charge rate but i only charge them at 2c very good lipos for the price, still not up there with the Hyperion G3 35c lipos but then you have to pay 3 times more for them
I'm the same as you i think this is the best & fastest foamy jet of it's size that Flyfly makes
Last edited by Xpc; Sep 28, 2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:55 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,715 Posts
Yup the 8 cell ARC setup is great in the Mirage, and the Mirage is still the all time great airframe. I might build another but might put the new stumax fan into it instead

THE ULTIMATE 8 CELL TOPGUN MIRAGE 2000 from EXTREME RADIO CONTROL (2 min 20 sec)
Old Sep 28, 2010, 11:28 PM
Xpc
Niger, Diffa, Nguigmi
Joined Jun 2010
188 Posts
[QUOTE=Extreme_RC;16167675]Yup the 8 cell ARC setup is great in the Mirage, and the Mirage is still the all time great airframe. I might build another but might put the new stumax fan into it instead

THE ULTIMATE 8 CELL TOPGUN MIRAGE 2000 from EXTREME RADIO CONTROL (2 min 20 sec)
[

Hi i have seen that vid many times it is very fast, what do you think of the HET-600-37-2 for a 6s setup ?
Old Sep 29, 2010, 04:21 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,715 Posts
Good 6s, its our replacement for the old HYK 1600Kv motor, should do 100-110mph easy if you build it well with good exhaust setup and decent batteries.