HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2009, 01:04 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
Thanks for the posts on the dolly Mike.

To dampen the dicey plane eating theory, how many successful dolly launches have you had to date (with any planes)?

Brent
BrentP is offline Find More Posts by BrentP
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2009, 01:16 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
More than 15 launches at least. I like it better than self hand launching which I can't do with even a smaller model. Bum shoulder. I really damaged it a few weeks back so now I have to figure out how I'm going to launch the little FW F-35. Guess she gets a small dolly to herself.

Mike
CarreraGTSCS is online now Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Jun 06, 2009, 04:50 PM
Here's my newest bud
Whitney, NV
Joined Dec 2008
263 Posts
I had a little accident the other day, my Mirage "went in" as we say at our field. That's probably because the dense brush that surrounds the field keeps us from actually seeing any models crash. I had just installed a camera on the front and recorded one flight before. I came out of a dive too shallow and clipped a tree branch, which broke the right elevon servo arm, leaving me with one elevon.

http://www.vimeo.com/5035753

And the last flight, the video was breaking up, not sure why.

http://www.vimeo.com/5035813
Aero Ace Ace is offline Find More Posts by Aero Ace Ace
Old Jun 06, 2009, 05:16 PM
More jets than a carburetor
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2008
2,809 Posts
i know you dont have the option, but the reason i dont like elevons and tailerons, part of it anyways
modded my mig for ailerons
Great video! what camera?
skydve76 is offline Find More Posts by skydve76
Old Jun 06, 2009, 06:33 PM
Joined Jul 2007
8,809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero Ace Ace
I had a little accident the other day, my Mirage "went in" as we say at our field. That's probably because the dense brush that surrounds the field keeps us from actually seeing any models crash. I had just installed a camera on the front and recorded one flight before. I came out of a dive too shallow and clipped a tree branch, which broke the right elevon servo arm, leaving me with one elevon.

http://www.vimeo.com/5035753

http://www.vimeo.com/5035813
And the last flight, the video was breaking up, not sure why.
Thats 2 Mirages that have crashed because of the same cause. I had a midair with a F-16 and lost my left elevon causing the plane to crash The little F-16 survived to fly another day
Zootster is online now Find More Posts by Zootster
Old Jun 06, 2009, 06:45 PM
Here's my newest bud
Whitney, NV
Joined Dec 2008
263 Posts
It's pretty much a guarantee that if you lose an elevon, you will crash. Everyone heard a loud crack at the moment of impact and knew it was a rouge branch, it continued to fly and for a sec I thought it was okay. I tried to return to the field, she just wouldn't come around.

I believe the camera is a KX151.
Old Jun 06, 2009, 06:53 PM
Joined Jul 2007
8,809 Posts
Vid of crash
R/C F-16 and Mirage mid air collision! (1 min 11 sec)
Zootster is online now Find More Posts by Zootster
Old Jun 06, 2009, 07:38 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
Wow, what a nice flying plane. Just came in from a flight, the real maiden you might say. Flew great. Needed some right and down trim. Very little pitch change power on/power off. Had to do 2 or 3 go arounds to hit the LZ. I might move the cg back a little once I get used to her. No vices other than orientation issues but that's my problem not the plane's. More later. There's video but I have to see what's useable. My looney 9 year old daughter did the filming and she kept up a running commentary using her best Aussie accent. I swear, she had no idea that I was posting on the OZ threads.

This one's a keeper. The plane and the kooky kid!
Mike
CarreraGTSCS is online now Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Jun 07, 2009, 07:38 AM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,366 Posts
Aero sorry for your loss, looked like a big one is anything salvageable?
MikeTheCrash is online now Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Jun 07, 2009, 05:16 PM
Here's my newest bud
Whitney, NV
Joined Dec 2008
263 Posts
That's another good thing about foam, it's basically a crash helmet for the expensive internals. Everything but the batteries looks okay.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 03:24 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,562 Posts
I'm not going to hijack, I just want to drop in and let you guys know I have a cockpit upgrade kit available for the Fly Fly Mirage now.
http://www.parkflyerplastics.com
I'll be running a build thread soon and may drop in again to post the link.
Thanks for running this thread, it was very useful in getting my model in the air.
sparks is offline Find More Posts by sparks
Old Jun 23, 2009, 05:53 AM
Joined Aug 2007
65 Posts
Hi,

I need decals for Mirage. Any suggestion?

Toni
to22ni is offline Find More Posts by to22ni
Old Jun 23, 2009, 06:16 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,242 Posts
I recently crashed my latest Mirage due to a similar malfunction. I did a high speed pass then yanked back and went vertical. I have done this many times without issue. This time it broke loose one of my elevon servos. It was my fault as I only used servo tape to secure it, will epoxy next time. Anyway, at the top of the vertical it rolled weird. I thought it was wind as it was gusty that day. So at the end of another turn it starting rolling uncontrollably and lawn darted. Probably fixable but being that it was on the heavy side already I decided to start another build. This time it will be without a rudder, and no glassing to keep it light. I already have the cockpit kit from Sparks ready to go. Since I have 2 canopies from the previous builds, and will have a new one from the new kit, I think I will make one an FPV setup. I will still install the led afterburner in the new one as the coolness is worth the weight expense. No strobes though, couldn't see them in flight as I hoped.

Oh, and since I couldn't find any Midi fan pro in stock, (2 bent blades from the crash), I am going with the new Lander power system. Should be a bit of an improvement. I will update my build thread with the new setup.
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Jun 23, 2009, 04:03 PM
Here's my newest bud
Whitney, NV
Joined Dec 2008
263 Posts
Servo tape! I don't even trust that stuff on my GWS foamies. I epoxy everything because if I use hot glue it will melt in the summer.

I've been thinking about my own crash and I think if I had a large enough rudder installed, I could have returned to the field, using opposite rudder to pull thru the turn.

Sparks, that's a nice looking Mirage.
Old Jul 07, 2009, 04:17 PM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,377 Posts
I finally started work on this kit. I had to get some new 6 cell batteries and winter fell on me in New England. With the arrival of Summer I have new interest in getting this kit off the ground.

Today I test ran the motor and it looks like the fan blade lightly touched the inside of the housing at full throttle. I guess its not as stiff as it looks... I ran it up again and there wasn't any vibration that I noticed. I can see that it scoured the inside of the housing in one spot.

What should I do? It's the Fly Fly housing with Wemotec fan and adapter and HYK3660 motor from Extreme RC.
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr