SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 02, 2009, 10:07 AM
More jets than a carburetor
skydve76's Avatar
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2008
2,815 Posts
ok I am getting one today. Here is my setup:
HET 600-32 with a hoya fan
Turnigy plush 80 amp ESC.
External BEC
turnigy 5S 5000mAh 25 C lipo
A couple of mg-82s probably


The turnigy lipos are new but I but they work well. They probably are similar to the flightmax. At least I hope!

I am getting this as my "go fly" jet, just simply put it together, glass over it real quick, no paint, and just fly it with no gears. I am building the MIG-29 currently and doint that one up right. But mirage looks liek something I can just take out to some open space and put up in the air. No need for a runway. and the bottom looks tough enough, the mig has intakes that get creamed if you belly land it.

Thoughts?
skydve76 is offline Find More Posts by skydve76
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2009, 11:11 AM
Registered User
techspy's Avatar
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,249 Posts
Yeah the Mirage is a tough bird. I ran it out of power on my last flight and ditched it before the runway. It landed in some pretty stiff brush. A couple sticks punctured it. I just pulled them out and used some light weight spackle and it is like new. The bottom wing is really thick and offers a lot of strength. It slows down very well. I have landed it where it only skidded approx 10 feet. It has good stall characteristics as well. Its just an all around good plane. I personally would upgrade to the midifan and run 6s just because that is the setup I know works well. if you have seen some video of a 5s setup and think you would be happy, thats all that matters. Although I have heard that the without a CC ESC, the 600-32 doesn't last long on 6s
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 02, 2009, 11:27 AM
More jets than a carburetor
skydve76's Avatar
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2008
2,815 Posts
I haven't seen the 5s setup run. I got 2 hoya fans and 600-32s cheap so I figured I would try them in something. The hoyas are $20 fans complete, so its not a big deal if they don't work well.

The person who sold them swore by them, though he started flying turbines and gave up on EDF, hence the reason I got a good deal.

No idea what to expect, though I would only use 5s even with a mid. Wobby from extreme RC tells me that on 6s the motor will not last long. I'm not ready to spend over $150 for a CC esc just to go 6s.

Turnigy all the way. I'd like to kep this as a park flyer, albiet a big park flier that needs a big park.
skydve76 is offline Find More Posts by skydve76
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 02, 2009, 11:31 AM
Registered User
techspy's Avatar
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,249 Posts
Then the setup you have spec'd is the way to go. With the higher pitch it may be just as fast. You will have fun with it regardless. Good luck
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2009, 12:45 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
CarreraGTSCS's Avatar
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
Maidened the Mirage this evening. Used my takeoff dolly , she looked very comfortable on it and it worked very well for her. It held her like a lover who was ready to let her go whenever she wanted to. It track straight and true and the Mirage was off gentle as you please in a low sloping climb to the left. It seemed to be heading for the back row of trees at the edge of the field so I gave it some left stick. It rolled hard and I had to correct the roll and that was on low rates. I let it track out some 50 to 60 yards or so but didn't think to give it a little up stick and so this half circuit transpired at about 10 feet off the deck. I realized too late the the low rates were still a bit too high and that I'd neglected to dial in any expo to tame her potential. Time for another hopefully non-pylon type turn since another treeline was rapidly approaching on the west. Evasive action mister the captain in my brain screamed at my thunbs. A quick and not so gentle jab at the stick left and maybe a little more. Now shes away from the trees but still in a tight and fast afterburner roll hangining in a sort of stuck knife edge motion with maybe a hint of nose down. The Captain in my brain started screaming orders again but they were so hard to understand. It's coming right at me, I see it, that beautiful shape and I hear it that sound coming form Midifan and from 600-32 and those 5 cells pumping a shrill angel song that distracts you for a second. A second too late, no time for distractions now. Not now. You know that you have to push the stick to the low wing. You did but only after listening to the song sung by 33,000 singing blades for jut a little, but just too long. Your other thumb, not so much a music afficianado reacted quickly by easing back power. She counter rolled just enough to at least appear to feint an attempt at a belly landing but not so much as in the traditional sense of it whereby in the belly landing the belly or sometimes the tail touch the earth first. No, this time the slender nose touched first really almost simultaneously with the left wing at a very shallow angle. Cracks to the nose section/pod at the glue joints, a clean and easy to repair crack near the left wing root, both aileron control rods pulled out. Seems that was it. The 14gm metal gear servos seem to have survived. All in all an easy fix. She has nice power, a nice sound and a nice look. Just have to dial her in some.

If only the grass had been a little shorter...

In the end I know that I dumb-thumbed it into the grass. My fault. I haven't flown anything in two weeks except for this afternoon trying to teach my 9 year old daughter to fly the Slow Stick and it was too windy.

My usual MO for a maidein is to fly 2 or 3 other progressively faster and less stable planes before a maiden, but not this time. They say that you're only dumb if you don't learn from your mistakes.

Mike
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2009, 01:44 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Extreme_RC's Avatar
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydve76
No idea what to expect, though I would only use 5s even with a mid. Wobby from extreme RC tells me that on 6s the motor will not last long. I'm not ready to spend over $150 for a CC esc just to go 6s.

Turnigy all the way. I'd like to kep this as a park flyer, albiet a big park flier that needs a big park.
Wobby is not from ExtremeRC, he has no affiliation with the business.

The 600-32 is a 5 cell motor in a Midifan, not a Hayoe fan, the Hayoe 7 blade rotor is what FlyFly supply in their kits.

The motor won't like 5 cells in that fan, I tested it on 4 cells and it was already up at 55 amps.
You need a midifan, there is no other way to use the 600-32, you will end up wasting a lot of time for the sake of a few bucks on what is NOT a parkflyer model.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2009, 01:57 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
CarreraGTSCS's Avatar
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
What Mark said. 5s motor. Makes nice power and sweet music. Take the advice.
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2009, 02:09 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
ozzi supercub's Avatar
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,072 Posts
Great story Mike. Shame about the ending. I'm sure we've all been there at some stage.
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2009, 07:06 AM
I fly for Beer
Jagzilla's Avatar
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS
Maidened the Mirage this evening. Used my takeoff dolly , she looked very comfortable on it and it worked very well for her. It held her like a lover who was ready to let her go whenever she wanted to. It track straight and true and the Mirage was off gentle as you please in a low sloping climb to the left. It seemed to be heading for the back row of trees at the edge of the field so I gave it some left stick. It rolled hard and I had to correct the roll and that was on low rates. I let it track out some 50 to 60 yards or so but didn't think to give it a little up stick and so this half circuit transpired at about 10 feet off the deck. I realized too late the the low rates were still a bit too high and that I'd neglected to dial in any expo to tame her potential. Time for another hopefully non-pylon type turn since another treeline was rapidly approaching on the west. Evasive action mister the captain in my brain screamed at my thunbs. A quick and not so gentle jab at the stick left and maybe a little more. Now shes away from the trees but still in a tight and fast afterburner roll hangining in a sort of stuck knife edge motion with maybe a hint of nose down. The Captain in my brain started screaming orders again but they were so hard to understand. It's coming right at me, I see it, that beautiful shape and I hear it that sound coming form Midifan and from 600-32 and those 5 cells pumping a shrill angel song that distracts you for a second. A second too late, no time for distractions now. Not now. You know that you have to push the stick to the low wing. You did but only after listening to the song sung by 33,000 singing blades for jut a little, but just too long. Your other thumb, not so much a music afficianado reacted quickly by easing back power. She counter rolled just enough to at least appear to feint an attempt at a belly landing but not so much as in the traditional sense of it whereby in the belly landing the belly or sometimes the tail touch the earth first. No, this time the slender nose touched first really almost simultaneously with the left wing at a very shallow angle. Cracks to the nose section/pod at the glue joints, a clean and easy to repair crack near the left wing root, both aileron control rods pulled out. Seems that was it. The 14gm metal gear servos seem to have survived. All in all an easy fix. She has nice power, a nice sound and a nice look. Just have to dial her in some
Not sure if I'm reading a maiden report, or a romance novel here
Glad to hear though that the fixes sound easy, and it will soon fly again.
I know the first time mine flew I found it quite responsive as well, and I don't use any expo.
Jag
Jagzilla is offline Find More Posts by Jagzilla
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2009, 11:45 AM
More jets than a carburetor
skydve76's Avatar
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2008
2,815 Posts
sorry about the Wobby thing, I assumed since he is from australia he must be from extreme rc. Makes sense right?

After inspection, I realized that you are correct, the Hoya fan is in fact the fly fly fan. They have different shrouds is all.

Interesting, these were blessed by EJF.com has a really good 5s setup.
Also interesting is that we have people running the 600-32 off of a 6s in a midifan.

I keep hearing things about the het 600-32 and the ESCs. WIll a turnigy 80A ESC be ok for 5s on a midifan?
skydve76 is offline Find More Posts by skydve76
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 05, 2009, 02:55 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
CarreraGTSCS's Avatar
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagzilla
Not sure if I'm reading a maiden report, or a romance novel here
Glad to hear though that the fixes sound easy, and it will soon fly again.
I know the first time mine flew I found it quite responsive as well, and I don't use any expo.
Jag

Yeah, I was a little loopy from a couple of pain pills for my shoulder. My writing gets a bit florid when I'm tired and feeling no pain (well, less pain anyway).

The fix will be easy. The balance was right on and she lifted from the dolly pretty smoothly. I'll cut back the control throws on high rate to match the current low rate settings and dial down the low rates by about 25%. I'll add some expo too. I'm finding the expo on my EVO9 a bit trick to get right. The actual adjustment couldn't be easier but finding the right amount is tricky. I found that the Eurofighter had too much expo when I first flew it making it feel like it had a dead spot near neutral and then kicked in hard making it a little exciting until I realized what the issue was and brought her down.

Hopefully the weather will cooperate this weekend for some flying. If it's not windy it's raining and when it's calm and sunny I'm working.

Mike
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 05, 2009, 03:12 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
Mike,
Congrats on the maiden. As I posted earlier I feel for ya for the damage but you'll get her fixed up.

I haven't flown mine in a couple months.

I know the feeling when you haven't flown for a bit. I flew some other planes after not flying for 3 weeks and felt off my game.
I agree with you on flying another plane or 2 before a maiden, to test how smooth the air is and get in the groove on the sticks and with orientation etc.

Could you please post some pics of your dolly?

Atleast 2 on this thread had tried dollies without success (if I remember correctly)

Thanks
Brent
BrentP is offline Find More Posts by BrentP
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2009, 08:40 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
CarreraGTSCS's Avatar
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
Here's my universal launch dolly. I've used it now with the SAPAC Gripen, the GWS A4 and the FlyFly Mirage. I hope it works with the big Su-33 that I'm scratchbuilding and the Haoye F-18.

The tail wheel is free castoring and tracks well if the field is smooth and the plane is centered well. The only plane listed above that has rudder is the Gripen and it does help. Only real issue I've had with it is that it won't work in summer grass because the ride height is pretty low with those wheels and the low cross piece.

SAPAC Jas-39 Gripen EDF flight. AWESOME! (5 min 20 sec)

SAPAC Jas-39 Gripen EDF blasting off! (2 min 29 sec)


The dolly tracks much better now that the rear support is wider and holds the fuselage more securely.

Mike
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2009, 11:22 AM
More jets than a carburetor
skydve76's Avatar
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2008
2,815 Posts
looks pretty dicey, soon it will eat your plane
skydve76 is offline Find More Posts by skydve76
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2009, 12:33 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
CarreraGTSCS's Avatar
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
Dicey? Maybe it was but not now. By widening the aft fuselage support and also adding a pair of greased brass washers to act as bearings under load and lubricating the tailwheel vertical shaft it track very true. If I were to build another it would have a longer under-fuselage section back to the tailwheel to increase the wheelbase which would increase tracking stability.

If it really was a problem I would have just put a spare GWS rx on the dolly to control steering. Doesn't need it though unless you want to taxi around.

Mike
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Video FlyFly Mirage 2000 maiden bill34207 Electric Plane Talk 4 Feb 17, 2008 09:29 PM
Video 90mm EDF Mirage 2000 Maiden Ernest Electric Plane Talk 4 Jun 25, 2007 03:56 PM
For Sale Wattage Mirage 2000 with brushless motor shschon Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 2 Mar 04, 2007 10:01 PM
Mirage 2000 with landing gear? webnetxpress Foamies (Kits) 8 Jan 27, 2003 11:16 AM
Mirage 2000-5 with a 15/2 kushal_22 Foamies (Kits) 21 Jan 14, 2003 11:43 AM