HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 26, 2009, 01:34 PM
uk
Joined Oct 2007
666 Posts
anyone tried the the rclander metal 90mm on 6 s in mirage yet?
mk1spitfire is offline Find More Posts by mk1spitfire
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2009, 03:57 PM
Where did Steve go ?
Alexandra
Joined Jul 2007
3,311 Posts
Awesome news Jag, so how heavy is she rtf ?
flyingrally is offline Find More Posts by flyingrally
Old May 26, 2009, 05:39 PM
I fly for Beer
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
Thanks for the congrats guys, I really appreciate it!
Yesterday was the first decent flight on it. I hadn't flown it since the innitial maiden, and that was cut short when the wing panel disintegrated.
I have since made two new depron wing panels. I pulled out the retracts, the mounts and all hardware for them. The planes underneath is quite smooth now, no areas for the wind to get into. The planes auw is now 4.75 lbs.
The flight yesterday was text book all the way. Perfect bungee launch, and the plane was handling better now that I had lowered the throws on the control surfaces. I would say top speed around 85 mph. Very nice sound to the fan, and just an all around good commanding prescence in the air. The landing was quite gentle, really just floated in nicely.
My 5 minute mixed throttle flight took 2600 Mah's out of my Zippy 3700 Mah 6 cell. Battery temp on landing was only marginally warm.
Hopefully there is many more nice flights for it in the future.
Jag
Jagzilla is offline Find More Posts by Jagzilla
Old May 26, 2009, 09:23 PM
United States, FL, Coral Springs
Joined Jan 2007
495 Posts
I was wondering about that RClander 90MM fan. Robert at EJF said it is very similiar to the Midifan. But then again he is selling them.!! I will be anxious to see how this fan works. I was thinking about putting this fan in the new HET 90MM sniper.
falconjet50 is online now Find More Posts by falconjet50
Old May 26, 2009, 09:49 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,125 Posts
Hey Jag, that's great. Mine's been sitting and waiting for a free day with good weather. What are your control throws and CG?
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old May 27, 2009, 02:37 AM
Deutschland, Hessen, LA
Joined Jan 2009
1,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconjet50
I was wondering about that RClander 90MM fan. Robert at EJF said it is very similiar to the Midifan. But then again he is selling them.!! I will be anxious to see how this fan works. I was thinking about putting this fan in the new HET 90MM sniper.
It's a bad and heavy copy of a MidiFan and import to the EU can caused confiscatory by the customs (product piracy).
Kambalunga is online now Find More Posts by Kambalunga
Old May 27, 2009, 02:56 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambalunga
It's a bad and heavy copy of a MidiFan and import to the EU can caused confiscatory by the customs (product piracy).
Sorry but you are wrong, the LANDER fan is 5 blade not 6, has a totally different blade shape to the Midifan with more pitch at the root and less at the tip. The housing has 4 stators not 5.

The housing is quite cleverly designed with a removable intake lip, the CNC work may not be at NASA level but its very well made.

The lander fan with straight inlet lip and no rear cone weighs 130 grams. Midi without intake weighs 90 grams. Not a huge difference considering the size of models they go into
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old May 27, 2009, 02:58 AM
Here's my newest bud
Whitney, NV
Joined Dec 2008
263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambalunga
Huh? The Wemotec has a 6 blade impeller, and the RC Lander is 5 blade. The RC lander also has a very different housing.
Aero Ace Ace is offline Find More Posts by Aero Ace Ace
Old May 27, 2009, 04:37 AM
Deutschland, Hessen, LA
Joined Jan 2009
1,200 Posts
Mistaken with the Minifan and 68er Lander fan.
The difference is that the Lander impeller is heavier and the fan is made out nylon whitout reinforcement and has a 1 mm smaller diameter. Therefore a greater gap between fan tip and housing.
Last edited by Kambalunga; May 27, 2009 at 04:44 AM.
Old May 27, 2009, 08:39 AM
I fly for Beer
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS
Hey Jag, that's great. Mine's been sitting and waiting for a free day with good weather. What are your control throws and CG?
We are all waiting to hear a successful maiden report from you, Carrera!

Mine's balanced at about the factory recommended spot in the instructions. I have mine about 12 mm up and 12mm down for throws. No reflex dialed in on elevons.
Jag
Jagzilla is offline Find More Posts by Jagzilla
Old May 28, 2009, 02:50 AM
Here's my newest bud
Whitney, NV
Joined Dec 2008
263 Posts
Quick Clip

Here's a quick clip I took a few days ago. The launch was fine, but the camera was in a bad place.

I also dopplered a few runs and given the tailwind I was flying with, I think she's topping out at 120-125 mph/193-201 kph. She's almost 3.5 kg and pushing 3000+ watts, but I think the extra power is mostly wasted. The speed gains taper of quickly as you add power.

At this weight, landings take a good amount of grass, and she isn't as forgiving in the air. Keep the speed up and she'll but a smile on your face. Just remember not to try a split S from less than a few hundred feet and if you slow down too much in a bank, she will stall and spin.

She's fully glassed and rigid like an I beam. I placed high torque digital servos just a couple inches from the elevons since the stock location and control rods allow for too much slop and flutter at high speed. The speed picks up fast descending with this much weight. I don't know what the VNE is but it is something I think about every time I enter a vertical dive. I am enjoying the Medusa 36-80-1100, it is running very nice on 12s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7YP-iX9od4
Aero Ace Ace is offline Find More Posts by Aero Ace Ace
Old May 31, 2009, 04:05 AM
uk
Joined Oct 2007
666 Posts

anyone tried the the rclander metal 90mm on 6 s in mirage yet?
Will it be too tail heavy?

Also how are the recomended retracts, especially the nose one where it attactches to front. Much strengthening required to foam?
Old May 31, 2009, 04:22 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,578 Posts
As the Lander fan will really require a 5000mah 6s pack over the usual 4000mah I think the balance will likely work out. Should be a good performer too!
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old May 31, 2009, 04:31 AM
Deutschland, Hessen, LA
Joined Jan 2009
1,200 Posts
Bring this any increase in the T/W-factor? More weight need more AoA and produce therefore more drag and caused less max speed and higher landing speed!
Old May 31, 2009, 04:36 AM
uk
Joined Oct 2007
666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC
As the Lander fan will really require a 5000mah 6s pack over the usual 4000mah I think the balance will likely work out. Should be a good performer too!

extreme rc please comment on Kambalunga statement?