Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 11, 2009, 12:17 PM
Here's my newest bud
Whitney, NV
Joined Dec 2008
263 Posts
I'm waiting on the big 80mm long Medusa 1100kv V2 for a 12s setup, but it could be awhile before it ships. It should put out well over 3000 watts and close to 9 lbs thrust.

In the meantime I'm running a 60mm 1300kv V2 on 9s (I bought four 3s packs.) I just finished the first two bungee launched flights and it's running smooth and cool. I babied it a bit today, I only had 4-5 short full throttle fly-bys in 5 minutes. But, I don't want to demag any more motors. It's 80F here at 8 am and after a two 6-7 minute flights the internal motor temp was under 160F both times. That is toasty, but well under the 200+ I measured from my demaged 70mm 1200kv. Without pushing things too much, I could probably keep flying all summer when the temps will be north of 100F, but I'll need a cooler for my lipos.

I didn't do a detailed test, but a quick pre-flight check showed 2020 watts on fresh 5000 mah cells at ambient temp. That's where I wanted to be with this motor. The batteries are getting heavy, and I have moved the CG back in order to slow her down for the landings.
Aero Ace Ace is offline Find More Posts by Aero Ace Ace
Last edited by Aero Ace Ace; May 14, 2009 at 09:49 PM. Reason: spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2009, 08:05 AM
Joined Aug 2007
66 Posts
intake ring

Hi,

start to build Mirage. Does somebody using intake ring on the wemotec midi fan in Mirage? Any benefit from ring?

Thanks.

Ante
to22ni is offline Find More Posts by to22ni
Old May 14, 2009, 05:07 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,461 Posts
The ducting is designed to take a straight fan, you cannot nor do you need to fit the intake ring.

Best to use the stock housing and just purchase a Midifan rotor and shaft adapter if you have not already bought the complete fan. The stock housing is slightly thicker and fits better, internal design is the same.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old May 14, 2009, 11:49 PM
Joined Aug 2007
66 Posts
OK. Thanks.

Ante
to22ni is offline Find More Posts by to22ni
Old May 15, 2009, 08:28 AM
I fly for Beer
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
Any tips on the Flyfly retracts where the nose gear doesn't lock very well. I've lubed it, and played extensively with the set screw to adjust slop. The gear retracts nicely, but in down position, a lot of the time it's not locking in place. I know the retract will fold on the first bump it hits on our field. Any ideas on making sure I get positive lock in down position?
Jag
Jagzilla is offline Find More Posts by Jagzilla
Old May 15, 2009, 12:24 PM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagzilla
My new Rhino 6 cell, 3700 Mah showed up today, and I just finished bench testing my Het 600-42 setup. I am very pleased to report 1150 watts, and a smooth running setup!! Guess my other 6 cell wasn't up to the job, even though it is fairly low in use. A bit dissapointing there, but at least now I know.
So, lets get this baby built!!!
Jag
Hi Jag what's the C rating of your new pack? my 2x3s 4300 20-30c only puts out 800w on the same setup
MikeTheCrash is offline Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old May 15, 2009, 12:53 PM
I fly for Beer
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
Mike, the C rating is 20C continuous. Sounds like something definitely wrong your way. You'll have to check the voltage sag under load on your batteries to make sure as to whether they are the culprit or not.Good luck with it.
Jag
Old May 15, 2009, 02:58 PM
Cut the yellow wire
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
8,997 Posts
Thought that I'd have maidened mine already by the weather has been uncoperative. In the meantime I've done a few mods to her. I'm also adapting my takeoff dolly to work with all of my bigger EDF's. It feels like it has plenty enough power for a hand launch but I'm right handed and I have a bum right shoulder.
Mike
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old May 16, 2009, 02:22 PM
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,198 Posts
Quote:
Mike, the C rating is 20C continuous. Sounds like something definitely wrong your way. You'll have to check the voltage sag under load on your batteries to make sure as to whether they are the culprit or not.Good luck with it.
Jag
volts seem fine. 24-odd standby and 22 at full chat. I've got 4 of these packs brand new for the Mirage. I'm going to try running two parrallel pairs in series to increase the current it can draw - if that doesn't fix it, I think it must be that I've got a problem with the motor/esc combo

I rigged up a thrust meter this afternoon to see if the readings were off but unfortunately I got only 1.2 KGf. I don't think it would fly too well! Quite pleased it isn't glued into the fuselage (looking for a positive here!)
Old May 16, 2009, 03:20 PM
I fly for Beer
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
Tried to maiden mine today, but the Flyfly retracts completely failed me. I pretty much knew it was going to be a "non-event" by the way they were operating at my work bench. Total waste of money, imho.
Jag
Old May 16, 2009, 03:47 PM
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,198 Posts
Quote:
Tried to maiden mine today, but the Flyfly retracts completely failed me. I pretty much knew it was going to be a "non-event" by the way they were operating at my work bench. Total waste of money, imho.
Jag

what happened? I keep thinking I might ditch the whole gear thing and just go light and fast
Old May 16, 2009, 04:45 PM
I fly for Beer
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
Landing gear folds up on our grass field. Especially the nose wheel. Just not enough positive lock on it. Not to mention the most slop I've ever seen in retracts. You can twist the wheels 10 degrees or so each way. They just won't cut it on my field. I'll have to think about mine for a bit, but right now I'm leaning heavily towards making it a bungee launched plane.
JAG
Last edited by Jagzilla; May 16, 2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old May 17, 2009, 01:41 AM
Australia, QLD, King Scrub
Joined Jun 2005
1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheCrash
volts seem fine. 24-odd standby and 22 at full chat. I've got 4 of these packs brand new for the Mirage. I'm going to try running two parrallel pairs in series to increase the current it can draw - if that doesn't fix it, I think it must be that I've got a problem with the motor/esc combo

I rigged up a thrust meter this afternoon to see if the readings were off but unfortunately I got only 1.2 KGf. I don't think it would fly too well! Quite pleased it isn't glued into the fuselage (looking for a positive here!)
I know it is a silly question, but you haven't got a 600-43 in there by mistake. There is just not enough current draw there, so Watts are down. Batts look OK, not too much sag.
twang is offline Find More Posts by twang
Old May 17, 2009, 04:54 AM
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,198 Posts
the box and instuctions say 600-42 and I assume the motor is the same but it's bolted into the housing now. And Twang, nothing's a silly question where I'm concerned. did you see what I did to my arm a few posts ago?!?!?

I just made up 2x 3s in parallel, then two of these pairs in series, to make 8600mAh 20c 6s and got just a few extra watts - 850. It seems the batteries aren't at fault. So is this one of the "dodgy" 600-42's that are no longer manufactured? there's like a small deadspot at the top of the throttle stick range where the motor doesn't accelerate any further.

one more thing to try, another Tx/Rx combo. if that doesn't fix it then it has to be the motor/esc. or the Deans connectors and cabling - but there's more copper in the deans than there is in the wires running in to the motor or the speed controller so i really don't think that's it.
Old May 17, 2009, 06:49 AM
I fly for Beer
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
Having just rode through this whole scenario myself with the 600-42 motor, it would seem the problem with some of them was they were made with a lower kv than their rating.
In my case, it did turn out to be that my almost new battery was still not up to the job. I was having trouble believing that at first, and was starting to believe I had one of the "suspect" motors.
I would make sure you are getting full throttle range with the esc you are using.If that doesn't fix it, then I would start thinking about using Marks (ExtremeRC) advice, and see about determining the actual kv of the motor you have. An Eagletree logger would be a handy tool in this case.
Best of luck with it.
Jag