No issues with customs yet, Brent.
Jag
Jagzilla is offline Find More Posts by Jagzilla
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2009, 10:02 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
Cool Jag, they must have done a random "even though it's marked gift let's nail 'em with duty"

Flew her twice late this afternoon in smooth air. Tried some slower rolls and 4 or 5 loops. Harder to track through a loop than something with wings sticking way out. Getting more used to it and the setup is rock solid so far- everything just warm after a flight.
I've been on the throttle more so getting used to the speed. Hope I don't get to used to the speed cause that'll mean what....8s, 10s, 12s setup yikes..back to WW1 planes i.e. small batts and motors LOL
BrentP is offline Find More Posts by BrentP
Old Apr 04, 2009, 10:56 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,639 Posts
I can send a 600-42 to Canada or the US for USD$102.00 all up as local taxes here would not apply. I think it took 7 days or so to send the last package to CA, one of the guys in the thread could better answer this.

Looks like the US sellers have dropped the price on the 600-42 from 100 bucks to 95 odd, wonder why
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Apr 05, 2009, 08:23 AM
I fly for Beer
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
Not sure about the US distributors, but the motor I'm getting is coming from Singapore.

Jag
Old Apr 05, 2009, 09:43 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
Boo

Bad hand launch = cart wheel = broken wing tips and broken nose.

Epoxy = most of the repairs are done. Just cosmetics to bring it back to life.

I guess it was my day, we all have them.

I'm thinking of ordering a spare airframe from HC and flyng the living pee out of this one meantime.
Old Apr 05, 2009, 10:45 PM
Australia, QLD, King Scrub
Joined Jun 2005
1,376 Posts
This is why I hate handlaunching unless you have to. The mirage would be a good candidate for a dolly if you have a suitable runway.
twang is offline Find More Posts by twang
Old Apr 06, 2009, 03:22 AM
Here's my newest bud
Whitney, NV
Joined Dec 2008
263 Posts
Brent, a few weeks ago I missed the narrow piece of grass at my field, and did a go around. I was running out of battery and was being blown by a mean crosswind into the parking lot. After I cleared the cars, I decided I had to ditch it and came down hard on the asphalt, breaking the exhaust cone off. She continued to skid along, and the vertical stab caught on a steel cable strung between wooden posts at the edge of the lot. Not only did it have a mean looking gash where the cable ripped it, it came completely off the fuse and took a big chunk of foam with it. The exhaust cone was in several pieces.

I should have taken before and after pictures because it looks fine now. For the vertical stab, I epoxied back into place the torn pieces, and because they were compressed and didn't fit perfectly, used lightweight spackling to fill in the rest. I carefully epoxied the tailcone back together and again, I needed some spackling to fill in the missing pieces. After the spackling dried, I sanded it until it was clean and glassed the repaired areas with 1/2 oz glass and polycrylic. I did a quick dry with a heat gun, lightly sanded and applied another thin coat of polycrylic. After it was dry and painted nobody could tell the difference.

I used to think foamies in bad crashes were toast, but with a little spackling, paint, and glass, you can repair almost anything with only a small increase in weight.
Aero Ace Ace is offline Find More Posts by Aero Ace Ace
Old Apr 06, 2009, 10:46 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,242 Posts
Order another one and while it is on the way, glue that one back together and fly it like you stole it!

On another note, here is some new onboard video. It has forward and rearward angles.

FlyFly Mirage 2000 on board video (9 min 2 sec)
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Apr 06, 2009, 11:47 AM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
Yes boys the ton of spackling has dried over night.
It may be Frankenstien now but it will tear a hole in the sky again, and yes I will fly the crap outta it now. I removed the hinge tape (it came off easy as reported) I will replace it with PRO GAFF cloth tape.

I would not bother with the dolly thing. I was fine on 13 hand launches but not quite sure what happened on the 14th. I think it was a lazy non level throw and a bit of a cross wind caught it and it just didn't have enough air speed to fly.

Crap happens but my WW1 planes made it through the day so, I would rather be fixing foam than a balsa ply covering job

Cheers
Old Apr 14, 2009, 07:57 AM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,366 Posts
Here I go...

airframe and retracts ordered and just got Mark to send me a Wemo/HET combo.

got the Mirage from Austria, here, for peanuts compared to most UK prices, more or less got me the retracts for free!
MikeTheCrash is online now Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Apr 14, 2009, 11:45 AM
I fly for Beer
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
Welcome to the party Mike.
I'm just waiting for the last of my parts to come trickling in, then hopefully start the build by this weekend.
Jag
Old Apr 14, 2009, 12:53 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
Back in the Saddle

Fixed. Still have to fly it though.

I hadn't bothered to use the nose cone 1st time around so that was an easy fix-glued on the nose cone and painted it black.
Epoxy and feather light spackle did the rest. Got some nice scratches from cartwheeling into the sticks at the side of the runway

Old Apr 15, 2009, 02:40 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
OK I flew it twice today.

Came so close to cracking it up again on the 2nd launch.

Losing faith in my hand launch, seems like only a matter of time for another mishap.

Still want an F4 eventually, but for hand launch I'm going to choose something like the Famous 70mm from HL for a smaller and lighter hand launch
(plus it is already setup for full house controls).
Old Apr 15, 2009, 06:20 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,639 Posts
F4 is actually much easier to throw than any of the others, the wheel wells are the perfect hand hold.

Mirage really isnt that hard but does require a strong arm and grip not to throw but to hold on With the power available I usually throw mine at 45 degrees and then correct it at 50ft or so, it just climbs up without effort. In fact we have had 5 at the field now and they all launch the same way.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Apr 15, 2009, 08:55 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
I think that the angle is most of the problem. I'm throwing it too level or even nose down. I guess for fear of stall but your right Mark with the power I should launch upwards.
I have had upwards tosses and it did climb out. So I'll try upwards from now on.