SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 03, 2008, 09:39 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2007
2,530 Posts
Actually the Mig will have 3 killa wasps, not 2.
Rough lookin cammo, isn't that how its supposed to look, its not a wedding cake, a little rough stuff is good.
Looking forward to getting two Mirages up in the air at once, should be cool, i hope someone can vid it for us. Well saturday is the day.

Mark, "anaemic efforts with some of these planes on the forum", couldn't agree more, months building em, modding everything, pulling insane amps, and they fly like crap if at all.
It still looks like my overnight builds on the F86 and the Mirage are still the fastest.
I was reading an F86 Sabre thread a few days ago, someone was trying to get his to go as fast as mine, and it was really starting to frustrate him.
A lot of theorising going on, change incedence, bigger servos, up to 8S or 9S batteries, carbon fibre everywhere, $1,000 on different motors, big amps, etc. and still cant get within 10mph of mine, not to mention, half of em are lucky to get one flight before they need to fix somethinig, makes me giggle.

For heavens sake, im still flying mine with HS-55's all round and half a kilo of added aluminium covering, no strengtheining anywhere, no problems at all.

Mike, you can have your thread back now, sorry i got carried away ! lol

Ok, so we have Mike, Rally, and myself, who's next?
Twang !!! you know you want to.
Wobby is offline Find More Posts by Wobby
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2008, 03:58 PM
Joined Dec 2005
189 Posts
Hi all,
I'm sooo impressed by this Mirage! Would 6cell 5000mAH packs be too much for this machine?
The packs that I have weigh a little under 800g each?

I'm in Melbourne and super keen to build one of these jiggers!
Mr.Buzzy is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Buzzy
Old Jul 03, 2008, 07:21 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2007
2,530 Posts
Good on ya Buzzy. 6S 5000Mah is perfect. 100grams here or there wont mater at all on this jet.

Order it up, build it up, charge em up, and lets go rip it up.
Imagine 3 of these doing a flyby, I can hardly contain myself.
looking forward to seeing you get one. cheers
Old Jul 03, 2008, 08:28 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,661 Posts
My Mirage will be on the bench next week Gotta find a home for my MEGA 22-30-2 thats gathering dust for 6 months so why not the Mirage, I figure 1400 watts will be enough

My Sabre has been clocked at 92 on the doppler so it seems the AVON Sabres from OZ really were better
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Jul 03, 2008, 08:37 PM
Switching to guns
Joined Dec 2006
1,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobby
Good on ya Buzzy. 6S 5000Mah is perfect. 100grams here or there wont mater at all on this jet.

Order it up, build it up, charge em up, and lets go rip it up.
Imagine 3 of these doing a flyby, I can hardly contain myself.
looking forward to seeing you get one. cheers
Might happen sooner than later Wobby, you, Rally, Mark, and mine's nearly finished............

good times ahead!
BpwrJet is offline Find More Posts by BpwrJet
Old Jul 03, 2008, 09:55 PM
"in thrust we trust"
whitsundays
Joined Feb 2006
116 Posts
jeez guys got me thinking bout a plane ticket to wherever you are (Melbourne?) and bringin anothery for the flypast!!

Wobby, Mark, do you think that NOT gluing the wings will be detrimental with this power as long as we dont go pulling big negative G

And Wobby, have you pulled many heavy G's? ....loops at WOT?.... tight turns? etc bearing in mind the lack of substantial lateral wing bracing?
By the way thanks for your PM re edit suite, all good
mikepilot is offline Find More Posts by mikepilot
Old Jul 03, 2008, 10:37 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2007
2,530 Posts
Wow 5 in Melb !
Excelent Chris, forgot you had one, build it already will ya.
Mark, on the bench huh !, we'll be onto flyfly J15's by the time you dolly it up. lol (only kidding)
And Buzzy whom we all know will have to succumb to peer preasure, and we will have 6.
And when Mike splashes on airfair to melb, we'll have a squadron in the air.

In regards to glueing wing, I only did it as i figured i wasn't ever going to be pulling it apart.

Strength, stock wing is not a problem at all.

Id been watching a lot of vid of how the real Mirages fly, and one move I really like is when they pull hard on the elevator, almost pancaking the plane through the air as they go into a roll with rudder.
Well with a bucket load of practice im pretty close.
Will get some footage one day I hope, and played back in slo motion im sure will look pretty close to the real thing.
Sorry, sidetracked myself, bad habbit, I get carried away by my own excitement.

Ok, full speed, full power, hard elevator, nothing breaks.
Negative G's I cant vouch for, I dont ever push hard Neg.
Old Jul 03, 2008, 11:04 PM
Where did Steve go ?
Alexandra
Joined Jul 2007
3,311 Posts
Groovy...

Should almost have a full wing to do a flyby with.

Just noticed the esc I used was the one I got second hand with the Sabre I bought and it's a 100Amp opto.... Oops better find a battery supply for the rx, What the heck Ill just throw in an old battery pak in for tomorrow.

Jobs left;
Melt the body so I have something to grip.
Connect linkages to servos (this is my least favourite job of any build, hate it with a passion)
Solder connectors and charge batteries.
Take photo

Little birdy just told me Mick is at PP after a trip to bunnings to get a huge length of poly pipe. Something about magnetic tree

Quote:
Wow 5 in Melb !
Excelent Chris, forgot you had one, build it already will ya.
Mark, on the bench huh !, we'll be onto flyfly J15's by the time you dolly it up. lol (only kidding)
And Buzzy whom we all know will have to succumb to peer preasure, and we will have 6.
And when Mike splashes on airfair to melb, we'll have a squadron in the air.

In regards to glueing wing, I only did it as i figured i wasn't ever going to be pulling it apart.

Id been watching a lot of vid of how the real Mirages fly, and one move I really like is when they pull hard on the elevator, almost pancaking the plane through the air as they go into a roll with rudder.
Well with a bucket load of practice im pretty close.
Will get some footage one day I hope, and played back in slo motion im sure will look pretty close to the real thing.
Sorry, sidetracked myself, bad habbit, I get carried away by my own excitement.

flyingrally is offline Find More Posts by flyingrally
Old Jul 04, 2008, 12:29 AM
"in thrust we trust"
whitsundays
Joined Feb 2006
116 Posts
Quote:
Wow 5 in Melb !

Im a little concerned about how the front of the wing (must be a term for this ) joins to the fuse.....without gluing as in stock version, we are relying on approx 1/2 inch of unreinforced foam at the front....Oh well time will tell, may look at some cf here.

I will have some more pics tonight if you all promise to behave!!!
And hey Flying Rally....picture up!
Old Jul 04, 2008, 02:11 AM
Where did Steve go ?
Alexandra
Joined Jul 2007
3,311 Posts
Time to get down and dirty.

Ask and thalt shall receive.

Finished, now I just need some batteries charged and Wobby as spotter and we're all go.
Old Jul 04, 2008, 03:24 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,661 Posts
Looking good Steve, one thing you may want to do is protect the servos underneath, I seem to remember Ron had to put covers on his horns? due to them grabbin the grass.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Jul 04, 2008, 03:29 AM
Where did Steve go ?
Alexandra
Joined Jul 2007
3,311 Posts
Yeah thats my last jobs for tonight the servo covers and a "throw" mount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC
Looking good Steve, one thing you may want to do is protect the servos underneath, I seem to remember Ron had to put covers on his horns? due to them grabbin the grass.
Old Jul 04, 2008, 03:44 AM
Australia, QLD, King Scrub
Joined Jun 2005
1,376 Posts
Quote:
Actually the Mig will have 3 killa wasps, not 2.
Rough lookin cammo, isn't that how its supposed to look, its not a wedding cake, a little rough stuff is good.
Looking forward to getting two Mirages up in the air at once, should be cool, i hope someone can vid it for us. Well saturday is the day.

Mark, "anaemic efforts with some of these planes on the forum", couldn't agree more, months building em, modding everything, pulling insane amps, and they fly like crap if at all.
It still looks like my overnight builds on the F86 and the Mirage are still the fastest.
I was reading an F86 Sabre thread a few days ago, someone was trying to get his to go as fast as mine, and it was really starting to frustrate him.
A lot of theorising going on, change incedence, bigger servos, up to 8S or 9S batteries, carbon fibre everywhere, $1,000 on different motors, big amps, etc. and still cant get within 10mph of mine, not to mention, half of em are lucky to get one flight before they need to fix somethinig, makes me giggle.

For heavens sake, im still flying mine with HS-55's all round and half a kilo of added aluminium covering, no strengtheining anywhere, no problems at all.

Mike, you can have your thread back now, sorry i got carried away ! lol

Ok, so we have Mike, Rally, and myself, who's next?
Twang !!! you know you want to.
twangs wife seems to think it a good idea too so maybe a call to Mark is in order. I've been hunting high and lo looking for my "Mach Buster" certificate which I was given after a ride in a two seater. All I could find was this very old picture I took in Darwin of the ARDU Mirage. The nose is a funny shape as the two seaters did not have a radar. Hi viz color though.

So there's some incentive, now back to building you blokes.
twang is offline Find More Posts by twang
Old Jul 04, 2008, 04:11 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2007
2,530 Posts
Way to go Twang "Yay" !!!
You're wife obviously knows what best for you.

Cant beleive you've had a ride in one, like a 1 in a million, and a mach buster certificate to boot...... I got "mach buster" envy now.
You have to tell us what you remember about it.

Rally, its looking fantastic, bring a little fibreglass tape along in the morning.

Mike, I think your on the right track with a little CF in the front tonge, I thought the same thing, Oddly, i think the same thing with every plane i build.
Old Jul 04, 2008, 06:24 AM
"in thrust we trust"
whitsundays
Joined Feb 2006
116 Posts
Mirage standing

On her legs at last!
Now...to paint or not to paint, that is the question....no hurry to fly so of to the paint shop.....wish nubby was here