Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 01, 2008, 06:20 PM
Where did Steve go ?
Alexandra
Joined Jul 2007
3,309 Posts
Cool pilot legs, I have been looking for a full scale pilot but haven't had any luck. Never thought about building my own.

Thanks for the pic's look like it's out with the soldering iron today.

more pics tonight

Nope no more pics, never got a chance to get to the shed today or night. Maybe tomorrow, have lots of work to be ready for saturday.
flyingrally is offline Find More Posts by flyingrally
Last edited by flyingrally; Jul 02, 2008 at 07:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2008, 07:19 AM
Australia, QLD, King Scrub
Joined Jun 2005
1,367 Posts
Guys for your duct, the general rule is 90% of the fan swept area which is around 80mm. Bigger gives more static thrust - easier launch, smaller more speed until choked. Has anyone tried an acetate tube secured to the fan shroud, should give a nice smooth duct. It's what I use on teh HET jets and seems to work well. takes a bit of time to work out the pattern for a truncated cone from the dia of the shroud down to 80mm at the end of the outlet.

Will these things ROG on grass with retracts? I'd love to build one.

Danny
twang is offline Find More Posts by twang
Old Jul 02, 2008, 07:34 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2007
2,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twang
Guys for your duct, the general rule is 90% of the fan swept area which is around 80mm. Bigger gives more static thrust - easier launch, smaller more speed until choked. Has anyone tried an acetate tube secured to the fan shroud, should give a nice smooth duct. It's what I use on teh HET jets and seems to work well. takes a bit of time to work out the pattern for a truncated cone from the dia of the shroud down to 80mm at the end of the outlet.

Will these things ROG on grass with retracts? I'd love to build one.

Danny
I like the air noise my rough exhaust duct makes, however, if i ever build another, i will do the accetate ducting.

ROG on grass with retracts?, sure, cant see why not.
She has enough go to take off the grass without any gear.

MIKE, hows it looking, i dying to see your progress..
Wobby is offline Find More Posts by Wobby
Old Jul 02, 2008, 05:34 PM
"in thrust we trust"
whitsundays
Joined Feb 2006
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobby
Looking good Rally.

My Esc (60amp) is in front of the fan burried in the upper left wall (sort of)
I think the rule for bullets is (BATTERY) female on pos, and male on neg.
I tuck the leads under rubber bands that i have on all my batteries when not in use. you can see the rubber band in the photo in case you were wandering what it was for.
hopefully the photo show a little more.

So Mike, ready for maiden yet?
cheers
BWAHHAAAHAAAA, BWAAHHAAAHAA....Maiden??
Sorry Wobby, I have heaps going on at the Mo and may not get the thing in the air for some time. At the best of times I am a slow builder however I have a change in jobs coming up. I am about to set up my own Audio and vision editing suite and make my current boss redundant. This means earmarking all funds (life savings) to buying gear and setting up the basement as my studio. Since I still have to fork out approx $350 for batt and charger, the maiden will be pushed back. I will still continue to finish the build and paint the model so keep coming back to the thread - I really enjoy your input. I must say that this thread does inspire me to complete and fly the model...I just have "issues" at the mo.
Cupla things have me worried....we have been talking bout inside versus outside diameters....well, the fan I have is a 90mm like yours - so the inside dia of the duct outlet was 90mm & I have cut it back to 80mm....How can ur inside dia be 90mm after cutting it down? Am I missing something?
Also FR and urself have reinforced the canopy hold downs....I have kept it simple here and now worry that it may be a little inadequate - pics enclosed.
Am putting a little time aside tonight to glue the wings together then I will temporarily screw in retracts and take some pics of the jet standing on its wheels.
Hey did u glue ur esc in? even so shows how much pressure inside duct with it being bent back like that.
mikepilot is offline Find More Posts by mikepilot
Old Jul 02, 2008, 05:41 PM
"in thrust we trust"
whitsundays
Joined Feb 2006
116 Posts
[QUOTE=flyingrally]Hi Mike, hope you don't mind me hanging out in your forum.

Not at all FR. All Mirage builders and flyers welcome!!
Old Jul 02, 2008, 07:13 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,455 Posts
Actually FSA of the Midifan is 86.5 odd mm, and the correct exhaust outlet is 78mm.

Minifan480 is 64mm FSA and 58mm exhaust, but many take this down to 54mm for a higher velocity at the expense of thrust.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Jul 02, 2008, 08:08 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2007
2,530 Posts
Thanks Mike, good luck in the post production setup. You going Avid or final cut ?

I recon the inside diameter of my duct was about 100mm before i cut it down.
I know i can still come down some more to 78mm as being ideal, however, it has such ball tearing speed and power now, that im not game enought to touch anything really. so im happy with my 84-88mm oval shape duct lol.

I think your canopy will be fine, mine needs the extra, as its all that hold the battery and pilot from being ejected. Mind you, I wouldn't dare pull negative high G's with tha way i have it.

The esc is not glued, but was a very tight fit with the battery wires holding it hard up against the roof where they route into the upper cavity.

Good luck with the wing/uc, look forward to seeing the photos.

I found the old vid taken when the horses and screaming chicks interupted my flight, ive trimmed most all the hystyical horse chicks out, just a short vid, flight cut short.
This is the ONLY vid i have with the outlet reduced to 84-88 mm inside diameter.

Fastest FlyFly Mirage edf jet (1 min 39 sec)
cheers
Last edited by Wobby; Jul 02, 2008 at 09:57 PM.
Old Jul 02, 2008, 10:25 PM
"in thrust we trust"
whitsundays
Joined Feb 2006
116 Posts
awesome! so wat did doppler reading give?

would love to have seen the fat a$$ chicks tho!!

"Fat bottomed girls they make the rockin world go round"!!
F. Mercury
R.I.P
Old Jul 03, 2008, 04:40 AM
Where did Steve go ?
Alexandra
Joined Jul 2007
3,309 Posts
It's so fast I think I am scared to fly it

Those horse riders think one Mirage is bad wait till they get 2 on Saturday...

Hey Wobby do you have anything special built into the bottom of you Mirage to help with the hand launch ?

Quote:
Thanks Mike, good luck in the post production setup. You going Avid or final cut ?

I recon the inside diameter of my duct was about 100mm before i cut it down.
I know i can still come down some more to 78mm as being ideal, however, it has such ball tearing speed and power now, that im not game enought to touch anything really. so im happy with my 84-88mm oval shape duct lol.

I think your canopy will be fine, mine needs the extra, as its all that hold the battery and pilot from being ejected. Mind you, I wouldn't dare pull negative high G's with tha way i have it.

The esc is not glued, but was a very tight fit with the battery wires holding it hard up against the roof where they route into the upper cavity.

Good luck with the wing/uc, look forward to seeing the photos.

I found the old vid taken when the horses and screaming chicks interupted my flight, ive trimmed most all the hystyical horse chicks out, just a short vid, flight cut short.
This is the ONLY vid i have with the outlet reduced to 84-88 mm inside diameter.

cheers
Old Jul 03, 2008, 04:55 AM
Joined Jun 2005
1,367 Posts
I gotta get one.

Wobby say again your setup please?

Is it 6S with Wemo midi impeller and Taiwan 1600kv fan?
Old Jul 03, 2008, 07:12 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,455 Posts
The setup is midi rotor with HYK inrunner and 6s, 60A esc is all thats needed, pulls around 50-52 amps on 6s4000 odd mah packs.

Needs good servos though, baby ones wont cut in in this beast

On another note, the new MIG29 is due in mid next week (which I know a few will be very happy to hear eh Ron ) and the new series II Raptors are coming in too! Oh and more mirages...
Old Jul 03, 2008, 07:51 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2007
2,530 Posts
Mike, Maybe someone else here might be able to doplar that vid. Im not sure of the speed.
I'd really love to get some vid of how its flying now.
At the club ive just joined, its pretty open and flat allowing me to do huge sweeping banked turns with a radius of about 600ft just feet above the ground. I did get told off the other week, A heli flier claimed i flew under his helicopter at a million miles per hour and scared the crap out of him.
Totaly cool plane to watch fly, it looks and flys so real.

Rally, ive just took a photo for you (please excuse how ugly she looks unerneath)
Basically used a soldering iron to melt two holes into the bottom, just a little longer than two fingers worth.(also included in the photo)
Ive marked the bottom with texta showing my COG at 245mm , and where the holes are in relation to that, centred right on it.
As you see, the bottom is showing some wear and tear, over 150 flights by now its no wonder.
You can also see i had two holes further back, now covered with tape, they were too far back making hand launch quite tricky.

THREE points of interest might be.
1. I glued the wing on to the fuz.
2. control horn covers are quite big and wearing well, no stripped servo gears yet. (HS-65 servos)
3. REFLEX, almost none, 1mm up on both ailerons seems to be the magic number.

Twang, this Jet really is awsome, if you get one, you wont regret it. The setup from Mark at Extreme Rc is in my opinion the way to go, and its an easy build, I did mine in a night, ready to fly the following morning.
If i ever kill mine for some reason, first i'd probably cry, then id go get another one right away. lol

cheers
Old Jul 03, 2008, 08:03 AM
Joined Jun 2005
1,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC
The setup is midi rotor with HYK inrunner and 6s, 60A esc is all thats needed, pulls around 50-52 amps on 6s4000 odd mah packs.

Needs good servos though, baby ones wont cut in in this beast

On another note, the new MIG29 is due in mid next week (which I know a few will be very happy to hear eh Ron ) and the new series II Raptors are coming in too! Oh and more mirages...
Thanks Wobby,

Mark you are just being cruel now. Is the raptor a single 90mm and have they sorted out the flying problems of series one. I read a loooong thread on getting the early ones to work properly.

That big Mig would be great but a big investment with 2 x everything.

I understand that you cover with .5oz glass and polyurethane, I've used it a lot, how do you find it goes into the surface detail on the Mirage?

I have a soft spot for the Mirage, I'd like to do a 2OCU RAAF version.
Old Jul 03, 2008, 08:26 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,455 Posts
As Wobby has said many times, ours all fly! Its amazing to see the anaemic efforts with some of these planes on the forum, and there is always a "reason" why it doesnt work
Forget about the "other" threads telling you how hard it is to do this and do that, you only have to look at Wobbys Mirage, how he tosses it out like its a parkflyer, ther are no hidden secrets
Our local resident blupwr has an original Raptor, here is the vid : http://www.extremerc.com.au/F22_90mm.htm
Old Jul 03, 2008, 08:30 AM
Where did Steve go ?
Alexandra
Joined Jul 2007
3,309 Posts
Awesome thanks as always Wobby, looks like great minds think alike using same servo's and yes I glued my wing on too

I was thinking of a plywood wedge along the bottom to grip but your way looks better. I am not very good wih soldering iron likley to burn all the way through . I figured from watching the youtube video you had some kind of "grab".

She is all painted, looks a bit rough but I think the camo will make it easy to see. Need Ben to make some groovy stickers. Just a couple of hours tomorrow with tail fin and fitting out internal to hold batteries than a bit of charging and it's all go. Will wait till I catch up at PP to do the setup on throws. Will bring 300s, haven't flown since last time with you up here and been hanging to catch up and fly it.

So impressed with this model think I will get Mark to get me another one just so I can glass it up and go stupid with the power. Or maybe just wait and do the 2000 watt Mig. Already thinking of vector thrust attachments. My setup isn't anything special on this one, just the stock fan and recommended motor. I have a Womtec coming from Mark for the Sabre.

Quote:
Mike, Maybe someone else here might be able to doplar that vid. Im not sure of the speed.
I'd really love to get some vid of how its flying now.
At the club ive just joined, its pretty open and flat allowing me to do huge sweeping banked turns with a radius of about 600ft just feet above the ground. I did get told off the other week, A heli flier claimed i flew under his helicopter at a million miles per hour and scared the crap out of him.
Totaly cool plane to watch fly, it looks and flys so real.

Rally, ive just took a photo for you (please excuse how ugly she looks unerneath)
Basically used a soldering iron to melt two holes into the bottom, just a little longer than two fingers worth.(also included in the photo)
Ive marked the bottom with texta showing my COG at 245mm , and where the holes are in relation to that, centred right on it.
As you see, the bottom is showing some wear and tear, over 150 flights by now its no wonder.
You can also see i had two holes further back, now covered with tape, they were too far back making hand launch quite tricky.

THREE points of interest might be.
1. I glued the wing on to the fuz.
2. control horn covers are quite big and wearing well, no stripped servo gears yet. (HS-65 servos)
3. REFLEX, almost none, 1mm up on both ailerons seems to be the magic number.

Twang, this Jet really is awsome, if you get one, you wont regret it. The setup from Mark at Extreme Rc is in my opinion the way to go, and its an easy build, I did mine in a night, ready to fly the following morning.
If i ever kill mine for some reason, first i'd probably cry, then id go get another one right away. lol

cheers