HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2008, 04:22 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC
Vise Grip is a polyurethane glue available in Bunnings, it glues foam brilliantly, maintains a bit of flex and is very strong. It foams up though so you need to slice off the bubbles as it sets, not so great for prepainted finishes but fine if you plan to paint.
Depron too? ( sorry for hijack Mike)
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2008, 06:20 AM
"in thrust we trust"
whitsundays
Joined Feb 2006
116 Posts
Thanks Wobby great idea bout the torches! Cant remember what voltage the super leds are?? Im not an expert in electrics but I remember building an anchor light for my boat out of these leds when they first came onto market. I had to use some resistors in line for 3 leds on a 12 volt system. Now u see them everywhere, even in traffic lts by the look of it.

OZZI!! Hijack it any time u want!
Re Vise Grip....I stuck my depron panels to the underside of the mirage using it and no probs..It says on the bottle that it sticks almost anything!!! Well it doesnt do plastic and it says on the bottle that at least one surface has to be pourous and like nearly any glue the more pourous the surfaces, the better the bond. As far as sticking foam is concerned it sticks like bear kack to a hunters boot! I would use it for Balsa too.
IMHO it is lighter than epoxy - tho I havent weighed it... Im not sure if it has any more flex than epoxy cause it seems to set like a rock yet sands fairly easily but it does tend to creep and foam up a wee bit but if u use it sparingly u can minimise the sanding. Its one glue you have to watch dry and as Mark said you can cut off the foam bits with a blade before it sets. Takes a bout the same time to set as aliphatic resins and PVC glues ie overnight. It seems to resemble contact cement but is runny like honey. I got a pretty good bond all around the fuse without much creep at all. I have resorted to epoxy tho for all ply bracing, round the retracts and wing join etc

....Sat in the sunroom with a razor blade and started the tail cone reduction....8 slits later and pulled the thing in with a noose made out of VB cord....I used vise grip and got it all over my hands and onto the foam - it was a bit of a sh^%tfight....I ended up having to put back some "half slithers" because when I was pulling it in with the string (string noose was good idea) I was able to see that some parts of the now "octa hedral" were not meeting due to my slack cutting technique. However the vise grip and the noose worked in the end, and as I sat there sobbing and wiping the glue excess off, my wife pointed out that I seemed to have quite a bit of blotching on my skin, all over my hands and half way up my arm! To this day I am still not sure what the correct solvent for Vise Grip is but metho is better than water....Lots of hand washing that night and the irritation has subsided. Come to think of it I have been getting a minor irritation from the foam as well and I dont usually have any reactions and Im always working round chemicals in my job?!
I think Wobby used some tape on the inside of the cone to keep his together but I found that one needed quite a bit of force to pull it in so I glued it. The foam here is quite thick, I was afraid that the whole piece was going to crack but it didnt. See some earlier pics in this thread for the before shots.
The master builders who are reading this (u know who youse are) are probably having a good belly laugh by now!! Anyhoo I havent left myself too much repair work to make it slick....and sorry Mark whilst the Aussie colours make me a proud old bugger......I am going for a "hide in the snow" type camo effect....whites with very light bluey grey and silver cone airbrushed with a carbon effect.....that'll be a belly laugh for another day
mikepilot is offline Find More Posts by mikepilot
Last edited by mikepilot; Jun 27, 2008 at 07:35 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 01:46 AM
Australia, QLD, King Scrub
Joined Jun 2005
1,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobby
Hey Mike,
Geezus, kicked by a horse, not pleasant.
Whats worse, 4 shreiking women, or a kick from a horse ?

I got the strobes from the LHS, they cost about $50 for a set of 2 including a controller to adjust speed, they are real strobes, and simply plug into any spare chanel on the reciever.

The LED's i got from bunnings, i went in there ages ago and bought a heap of super bright led torches, they cost from a couple of dollars upwards.
At the time i got a truck load as they were so cheap.
Recently i went back for more, and it seems all the cheap torches were gone, and only the expensive ever-ready name brand stuff was on the shelves.....

It was cheaper to buy the torches, even at Jaycar a couple of loose leds cost a lot more than a torch that had 5 super bright leds.

Ive put lights on a few planes now and love the way they look, especial when flying something scale at dusk.

Im getting another Mirage that i intend to completly line the inside of with silver reflective tape, and the put a lot of leds about 12 inches in front of the fan.
Had considered putting the lights in the exhaust duct, but am concerned that they may look too much like a bunch of lights in the tail.
Here is a working led setup that might give you some help

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...78#post9939152
twang is offline Find More Posts by twang
Old Jun 28, 2008, 05:22 AM
"in thrust we trust"
whitsundays
Joined Feb 2006
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twang
Here is a working led setup that might give you some help

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...78#post9939152
Thankyou!
Old Jun 28, 2008, 08:13 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2007
2,530 Posts
Those leds in the tail look too much like leds in the tail i feel.

Heres a couple of photos that lyndon posted on our PP thread, pretty sexy looking i think.

I like how the paint is wearing away in areas , caused by airflow i guess.

BTW, Mike, I spent a little time on the canopy trying to get it flush. LOTS of carving and triming on the airframe to get a reasonable fit.
I think she still looks ok for a foam plane thats had maybe more than 150 flights now, and still going strong.

The nose got a little dent becouse some turky at the club picked it up and stood it on its nose to try look down the exhaust. I dont have the plastic nose cone on it.
Wobby is offline Find More Posts by Wobby
Old Jun 28, 2008, 09:58 AM
"the bouncer"
Australia, VIC, Vermont
Joined Nov 2006
4,743 Posts
Holy-goshawk-ron

when where and how does it fly , retracts?
mackone is online now Find More Posts by mackone
Old Jun 30, 2008, 01:12 AM
"in thrust we trust"
whitsundays
Joined Feb 2006
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingrally
Well finally got on with the build, here's a few pics of what I am up to. I started playing with the canopy as it's about the only thing on the plane I am not really happy with.
Good stuff FR
R U talking about inside diameter re the tail cone outlet? Mark from extreme rc recomends 78 to 80mm. Wobby elswhere in this thread is 90mm but I assume he is talking outside dia? I got mine to 81 so Im in the ball park, its not an easy job trying to keep in neat, the wire ties work well.....Its the first thing I thought of but didnt have any. The noose was good, however it left some marks. I am busy trying to fill/repair the tail cone to its former glory and find that the vise grip glue is not as easy to sand as first thought especially when the foam near the glue easily sands away but the glue is stubborn?? What did u use to glu it?
I also thought that the canopy was a slight disapointment. I dont have very good cutting skills or cutting tools and go feint at the thought of having to cut something like that strong canopy plastic and be neat and straight
So after cutting both pieces out to near the line, I thought I would be able to sand it after I glue the two pieces together. I first used epoxy with no success, was then told to use double sided tape.......Good Wife procured said roll of tape (3m brand) but she said it wasnt much good.......she was right! I then used some industrial 2mm thick foam tape that I had been given by a glazier....this stuff would stick snow to ice cream!
Unfortunately I got it well crooked so I had to pull it apart nearly damaging it in the process - it bears the scars!
I have now roughened all the surfaces to be bonded with a Dremel and gone back to epoxy.......vwah-la! solid as a rock, I was silly trying to stick it in the first place without this preperation. I understand that other guys use the Double Sided tape please let me know the brand!
As for sanding it....I used a belt sander clamped to my workbench and gently got both sides, front and back, nice and straight. Surprisingly I had quite course paper loaded on the sander and it worked well so long as your gentle.
Will be painting, so the canopy scars will dissappear.

Love the other ideas look foward to seeing more!
Old Jun 30, 2008, 01:26 AM
"in thrust we trust"
whitsundays
Joined Feb 2006
116 Posts
Quote:
Those leds in the tail look too much like leds in the tail i feel.

Heres a couple of photos that lyndon posted on our PP thread, pretty sexy looking i think.
I like how the paint is wearing away in areas , caused by airflow i guess.

BTW, Mike, I spent a little time on the canopy trying to get it flush. LOTS of carving and triming on the airframe to get a reasonable fit.
I think she still looks ok for a foam plane thats had maybe more than 150 flights now, and still going strong.

The nose got a little dent becouse some turky at the club picked it up and stood it on its nose to try look down the exhaust. I dont have the plastic nose cone on it.
Dont let Turkeys near your plane wobby!! It only ends in tears! I have to put up with turkeys near boats every day!!! Trust me!

As for the brilliant pic of mirage, can u tell us more details? where was it shot? What is he carrying on the wings? who shot it
Old Jun 30, 2008, 04:33 AM
Where did Steve go ?
Alexandra
Joined Jul 2007
3,310 Posts
More pics

I started using the glue in the pak, but it's so damned cold up here it wont set so I went over to 5 min epoxy.

Played with the painting today.... I tried taping and free hand, not real happy with tape lines, I think it looks to clean. The rough edge looks better ?
flyingrally is offline Find More Posts by flyingrally
Old Jun 30, 2008, 04:37 AM
Albury, Australia
Joined Feb 2008
989 Posts
Rough free hand looks alot better than taped IMHO. Go with that man
EDFjet is offline Find More Posts by EDFjet
Old Jun 30, 2008, 09:05 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2007
2,530 Posts
Mike, my outlet measures 85-90mm inside diameter depending on where i measure from, looks roundish, obviously isn't. But the difference in thrust and speed from 100mm stock to where i have mine now was HUGE !!!

Double sided tape 3M is crap, in fact most ds tapes bought retail are no good.
I use Kikasui tape from Japan used in picture framing industry, has a fibre base that you cant barely tare, and the most aggressive adhesive that actually cures over time also. I use it on all my canopy's.

Rally, nice job, Ive got my pilot on the bench, going to paint the helmut on mine now that ive seen yours.....

BTW guys, My battery just sits loose inside behind a wooden dowl to stop it moving forward. My pilot then site on top of the battery, then the canopy over the pilot, esentially the pilot and canopy holding the battery in place.

Mike, I have no info on the photos, they were posted by Lyndon on the PP thread.
If i had a large format printer, I could almost be tempted to print the photo out, cut out the tiger tripes eye design, and stick it to the top of the wing.
Im surrounded by turkeys all the time, lol.

This site has the best video of the mirage i have ever seen, to vid at the top of the page is stunning. http://www.military-heat.com/76/dassault-mirage-2000/
read the pretext about the vid, very interesting.
Wobby is offline Find More Posts by Wobby
Last edited by Wobby; Jun 30, 2008 at 10:23 AM.
Old Jul 01, 2008, 07:15 AM
Where did Steve go ?
Alexandra
Joined Jul 2007
3,310 Posts
little bit more

Hi Mike, hope you don't mind me hanging out in your forum.

Well didn't get much done today, procrastinating about the fan and esc. Anyone running there esc behind the fan ? I grabbed a prebuilt setup from another plane and the esc wont sit in front of the fan. Think it will effect airflow much ?

Wobby got any pics of inside the cockpit area ? keen to see where your battery sits. Look like I will be flying 5000 5s batteries.

Bigger batteries ? Should I use double banana plugs female ie for both + and - on the batteries to be safer ?

Double sided tape - I successfully used a local hardware store tape called "Bear" it's a Norton P/L product. Slowly cut strips and applied one side rubbed it to warm everything up then removed cover and slowly brought sides together. For my first "taped" canopy I am pretty happy with the product and process.

I did get a few little extras done on canopy. Let me know if you think it's overkill.
flyingrally is offline Find More Posts by flyingrally
Old Jul 01, 2008, 08:23 AM
QPower 18650
Sunshine Coast
Joined Jun 2006
1,495 Posts
Quote:
I have got only 1 vid of the plane in its current config that i used for the doplar reading, however, I cant post that vid because at the time i was flying these four fat a$$ chicks decided to ride their horses across the field !!!! Like how stupid is that !
They were SCREAMING at me to get the jet away !
4 of them all creaming at the top of their lungs was more distressing to the horses than the jet without a doubt.
I think my ears are still ringing and my nerves are still shot, was months ago. Listening to the vid gives me post stress anxiety, got goose bumps now just thinking about it.
Dude; I gotta see that vid mate!
madhun1 is offline Find More Posts by madhun1