HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2008, 08:23 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,489 Posts
I dont think you want to see Wobbys up too close (no offence Ron)

Knut is a persons name, as in the person I was replying to

Looking good Mike, I wouldnt worry about paint, you are gonna sand it all back nice and paint it in Aussie colours anyway right??

I am busy fighting with a Slopwith Camel at the moment, but the Mirage is next on the agenda, followed by an insanely complex Cloud models Mosquito....
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2008, 11:01 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2007
2,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC
I dont think you want to see Wobbys up too close (no offence Ron)..
Stand next to me when im flying it, and i'll give you a good close look, see if you can spot the pilot has no feet..

Its a great looking plane and a great flier. It goes over 200 clicks, and looks the part in the air.
What you see on youtube of the U.S dudes flying em is crap, they dont know how to set them up or fly them properly.
Wobby is offline Find More Posts by Wobby
Old Jun 22, 2008, 04:40 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobby
Stand next to me when im flying it, and i'll give you a good close look, see if you can spot the pilot has no feet..

Its a great looking plane and a great flier. It goes over 200 clicks, and looks the part in the air.What you see on youtube of the U.S dudes flying em is crap, they dont know how to set them up or fly them properly.
Any video?
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Old Jun 22, 2008, 04:44 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,489 Posts
VIDEO: http://www.extremerc.com.au/Mirage_90mm.htm
Old Jun 22, 2008, 04:56 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
It definately looks the part in the air. What speed did it reach on those runs? Any idea?

Just watched the video again. Absolutely awsome.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 02:41 AM
"in thrust we trust"
whitsundays
Joined Feb 2006
116 Posts
awesome is right.
I hadnt seen THAT video! Flys like a true delta. Nice flying wobby I bet u could just about hover it on a good day - love the short feild landing Is this a later vid recorded after u cut down the exhaust nozzle?

I have cut away the foam for the wing electric retract - well one is done. Only just enuf foam to keep the struts close to flush. It looks like a really thick section however it narrows out closer to the centre under fuse where you need maximum depth for wheel wells. Im down to about 3 mm thickness here - be careful if you are fitting the epf's.
I started the hole with a hole saw then finished off with some good old c4
mikepilot is offline Find More Posts by mikepilot
Old Jun 23, 2008, 02:49 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobby
As General Melchit said, we are right behind you, 25 miles behind you that is
Old Jun 23, 2008, 04:07 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong Mike but you said and I quote "..I'm no expert here..."
Seems like your doing a great job so far.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 08:09 AM
"in thrust we trust"
whitsundays
Joined Feb 2006
116 Posts
progress! baby steps!!
Two pics of wing trial fit, ply bracing has been epoxied in to one side only and this will bring the wings together fairly accurately. Wings have nice moulded slots for bracing, I am going to perforate the wing joining surfaces a little & use epoxy sparingly to join the wing halves or do you guys use vise grip for this too?

100th post!!! do i get a prize or somethoing?! who is in charge here??
Old Jun 25, 2008, 09:28 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2007
2,530 Posts
Looking good Mike. The wing joining I used epoxy, I perferated a little also. The rest of the airframe I used the glue supplied.

The vids on youtube are the only 2 online. One being a maiden, the other was maybe the third flight being on a gusty day.
The wind gusts made the high alpha look pretty crap i think. On a still day, its magic.
Both vids show the mirage before any mods...

Since, i have added stobes to the wingtips and leds inside the exhaust, and reduced the outlet to 89mm, and installed a full cockpit and full body pilot (less feet)

After reducing the nozle down from 100mm to 89, I saw a huge speed and thrust increase.

I am about to pop a rudder for some high speed slow rolling passes, other than that missing from the flight envelope at the moment, its a perfect flier.

I have got only 1 vid of the plane in its current config that i used for the doplar reading, however, I cant post that vid because at the time i was flying these four fat a$$ chicks decided to ride their horses across the field !!!! Like how stupid is that !
They were SCREAMING at me to get the jet away !
4 of them all creaming at the top of their lungs was more distressing to the horses than the jet without a doubt.
I think my ears are still ringing and my nerves are still shot, was months ago. Listening to the vid gives me post stress anxiety, got goose bumps now just thinking about it.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 11:24 PM
Switching to guns
Joined Dec 2006
1,284 Posts
Horses. God bless em.....Wobby, next time hit one, my dog could use some more chow....
BpwrJet is offline Find More Posts by BpwrJet
Old Jun 26, 2008, 02:52 AM
"in thrust we trust"
whitsundays
Joined Feb 2006
116 Posts
weeell sheei^%$&^t!!!
Thats a blood curdling story wobby, I remember that my girlfriend was with me at the Gold Coast Club.....circa 1979....and she went for a walk in the paddock and patted a horse & the bloody thing kicked her in her side!

We never had any other probs with the horses tho

Where do u get your led kits from or do u make them urselves?
Cheers
Mike
Old Jun 26, 2008, 04:09 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepilot
progress! baby steps!!
Two pics of wing trial fit, ply bracing has been epoxied in to one side only and this will bring the wings together fairly accurately. Wings have nice moulded slots for bracing, I am going to perforate the wing joining surfaces a little & use epoxy sparingly to join the wing halves or do you guys use vise grip for this too?

100th post!!! do i get a prize or somethoing?! who is in charge here??
What is this "vise grip" you speak of?
Tax refund coming soon and all this talk of Mirages is making me think...
and when I think my wife looks at me and says "not another plane..."
Old Jun 26, 2008, 04:12 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,489 Posts
Vise Grip is a polyurethane glue available in Bunnings, it glues foam brilliantly, maintains a bit of flex and is very strong. It foams up though so you need to slice off the bubbles as it sets, not so great for prepainted finishes but fine if you plan to paint.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 08:02 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2007
2,530 Posts
Hey Mike,
Geezus, kicked by a horse, not pleasant.
Whats worse, 4 shreiking women, or a kick from a horse ?

I got the strobes from the LHS, they cost about $50 for a set of 2 including a controller to adjust speed, they are real strobes, and simply plug into any spare chanel on the reciever.

The LED's i got from bunnings, i went in there ages ago and bought a heap of super bright led torches, they cost from a couple of dollars upwards.
At the time i got a truck load as they were so cheap.
Recently i went back for more, and it seems all the cheap torches were gone, and only the expensive ever-ready name brand stuff was on the shelves.....

It was cheaper to buy the torches, even at Jaycar a couple of loose leds cost a lot more than a torch that had 5 super bright leds.

Ive put lights on a few planes now and love the way they look, especial when flying something scale at dusk.

Im getting another Mirage that i intend to completly line the inside of with silver reflective tape, and the put a lot of leds about 12 inches in front of the fan.
Had considered putting the lights in the exhaust duct, but am concerned that they may look too much like a bunch of lights in the tail.