SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:42 AM
Australia, NSW, Bonny Hills
Joined Aug 2012
263 Posts
Well I've pluged up all the retract holes and re-glassed the area. Just have to re-paint the belly now and cut some finger holes. This better work.
I have a nice set of E-Flite 15-25 size retracts for sale, only used once.
leebee1965 is online now Find More Posts by leebee1965
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:19 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,642 Posts
Hey guys, thought I would post an update in here as its a well read thread.

Am terribly sorry the delivery on the new Mirage's has dragged out a few more weeks, the factory promises me the Mirages will be ready to start shipping on Monday. All orders for kit only will be going out first, I have forwarded the shipping manifest for all the pre orders and they are preparing the EMS documents.

Orders with retracts will be delayed a few days as the have run out of them! Should be in by mid next week then the retract kits will start shipping out as well. I believe everyone who has pre-ordered will get their kit before xmas.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Dec 22, 2012, 04:53 PM
Tezact
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Apr 2010
96 Posts
Video of my second Mirage 2000

After a rather "hard" landing, (lots of small peices), I made up my spare kit, using the same wemo fan and Het 650-68-1600 Typhoon motor from Extreme RC with an 80Ah speedy.
I was flying with a mate and his Dynam Vampire - it has the most realistic sounding EDF ...... enjoy

Fly Fly Mirage and Dynam Vampire.wmv (2 min 36 sec)
tezact is online now Find More Posts by tezact
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:18 PM
Australia, NSW, Williamtown RAAF
Joined Aug 2008
2,443 Posts
Hi Guys,

Have just received the 2OCU batch Mirage from Extreme RC. Will be putting a Jetfan 8s system in her. Might take a while since Mark is having some R&R.

Could I impose and ask the lazy question: What are the essential mods for a high power setup?
(I've had a few 8s systems before, but probably not as quick as this will be!).

Many thanks,

Dan.
dro56595@bigpo is offline Find More Posts by dro56595@bigpo
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2012, 03:22 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,243 Posts
By "What are the essential mods for a high power setup?" do you mean for extra performance or reliability/safety?

For performance, other than the obvious (high amp connecters and wire etc), you can perform the Jepe mods such as balsa trailing edges, full ducting, and cut down exhaust cone. For reliability/safety, beef up the control arms, add control arm protectors, install over sized hinges on the elevons and coat the plane with some type of laminate. The latter is really only needed it the fastest of Mirages and I have seen some without that mod that have been just fine.

Take a look at by build thread for these mods. I also added a "flap" on the underside of the elevon that covers the big gap.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1378975
techspy is online now Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by techspy; Dec 23, 2012 at 03:28 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:48 AM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,728 Posts
Finally maiden-ed my Mirage:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=5387830

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...15&postcount=2
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:17 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy View Post
By "What are the essential mods for a high power setup?" do you mean for extra performance or reliability/safety?

For performance, other than the obvious (high amp connecters and wire etc), you can perform the Jepe mods such as balsa trailing edges, full ducting, and cut down exhaust cone. For reliability/safety, beef up the control arms, add control arm protectors, install over sized hinges on the elevons and coat the plane with some type of laminate. The latter is really only needed it the fastest of Mirages and I have seen some without that mod that have been just fine.

Take a look at by build thread for these mods. I also added a "flap" on the underside of the elevon that covers the big gap.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1378975
I was hoping that the two weren't mutually exclusive!

For example, is there a general consensus that a CF wing spar is a good idea for those hi G situations that hi speed can produce?

Thanks for the other tips. The hinges were the first thing I noticed that needed something better. The underside flap/sleeve thing is a good idea - have there been problems with flutter with this model?

A bit of CF tube should stiffen the push rods OK, and I am undecided on the electric retracts or belly lander options as yet. This will determine if I do the elevons top of the wing (as I did with my FlyFly Phantom) or in the stock location.

Cheers,

Dan.

My other FlyFly models ...

Dans RC Phantom Rave (again) (1 min 15 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2012, 03:12 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,243 Posts
I have belly landed all my Mirages with the control arm on the bottom as shown with no issue. I have seen one Mirage disintegrate in the air due to fluttering but it was found to be a bad control arm connection. The only other wing failure I have seen was due to the wing being weakened due to retracts being installed, then removed. Both videos were pretty cool I have never seen one that needed a spar.

I added the flap to the bottom of the elevon for aerodynamic/performance reasons, not because of any flutter concerns.

Nice collection you have there. I really like all the FlyFly models and have been contemplating a couple more. But, I am a huge delta wing fan and have several kits at home waiting to be built. I also have an ERC Eurofighter setup for FPV

I think the fastest one I have seen is below and I don't think he has a spar or even glassed/covered. Someone says it was dopplered at 152. I think it is faster than that. I think mine is close to that and it doesn't seem anywhere as fast as this one.

THE ULTIMATE 8 CELL TOPGUN MIRAGE 2000 from EXTREME RADIO CONTROL (2 min 20 sec)

Here is the flutter crash

Mirage Crash (2 min 12 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by techspy; Dec 23, 2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:40 PM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,728 Posts
yes...............use a wing spar............ Another Mirage crash...........no spar...........

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=131
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:54 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,243 Posts
I don't agree.

Actually that is the other one I was referring to so that makes 2 Mirage wing failures that I have ever come across. One because of a faulty control horn and one that failed where the retract holes were enlarged. I have had 3 of varying power settings/weight (my current one the heaviest and fastest) and I routinely slam back on the elevator at full throttle to go straight vertical with no issue. After all, as stated in the thread you linked to, if it needed it, Jepe would have included it like in the other models he sells.

Having said that, will adding a spar be detrimental? No it won't so install one if you feel the need. In both cases of these wing failures, I am pretty sure a spar would have made no difference.

Actually seems there is one more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamzoli1 View Post
just lost my mirage....3.9 kw midi setup 12S ...downwind full power...
wings came off ... this was about flight number 25

the push rods were both 45 degrees bent..... flutter i dont know ?
it happened so fast.... no video

all survived except the airframe

Not sure what happened. Kinda sounds like the removable wings came off or flutter again.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by techspy; Dec 23, 2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:15 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,443 Posts
Crikey! Those wings shred don't they?

I might run a spar and some CF strip as I do with all my big power foams anyway - if only to stiffen the wing. I'm not a fan of wobbly, bendy airframes.

Thanks.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:36 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,642 Posts
I wish I had gotten more pics up of the last build, would have made things easier for you Dan.

Hinge tape is fine, both mine used it, I used blenderm tape after I stripped and glassed the airframe and it held brilliantly, strong and tight.

I put my servos inside the wings with the horns out the top, I made my own ply horns, posted the photos in my build thread somewhere, its the best way, hot wire into the wing in the line needed, epoxy a tube in, make a ply tray for servo inside the wing, 3x1mm ply cross grained and cut for horns. Find the thread Dan, its in my forum I think, I dont have the energy to look for it, still bit out of it after the accident.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:02 AM
Joined Aug 2008
2,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
I wish I had gotten more pics up of the last build, would have made things easier for you Dan.

Hinge tape is fine, both mine used it, I used blenderm tape after I stripped and glassed the airframe and it held brilliantly, strong and tight.

I put my servos inside the wings with the horns out the top, I made my own ply horns, posted the photos in my build thread somewhere, its the best way, hot wire into the wing in the line needed, epoxy a tube in, make a ply tray for servo inside the wing, 3x1mm ply cross grained and cut for horns. Find the thread Dan, its in my forum I think, I dont have the energy to look for it, still bit out of it after the accident.
Hi Mark, good to hear from you. Hope you're home for Christmas?

Saw your wing servo build somewhere too. Will have another look. Blenderm? Is that something I can get from a chemist? Otherwise, is the stock tape OK for a while? All I have to hand in the workshop are some fibre hinges right now.

Still tossing up whether I do a quick-and-dirty build using a wemo/arc3675/100A ESC combo I've got while I'm on leave, or wait 'till I can get a JetFan setup ... it's not like I can swap out the fan easily in this one.

All the best for Christmas!!

Cheers,

Dan.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:06 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,642 Posts
Home now thanks Dan, give me 2-3 weeks I can do the jetfan for you, wont be doing too much fan building till then as I am sure its not good for concussion recovery LOL.

Blenderm is hinge tape in the hobby shops sold under dubro etc, actually a medical tape that you should be able to get from work maybe?

I know many who have kept the stock tape and had no issues, remember these are brand new kits, not old stock, so all the materials should be fresh and in good usable condition.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:24 AM
Tezact
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Apr 2010
96 Posts
Hi Dan,
That Blenderm tape is a 3M product. I got my last roll from a chemist so it is readily available and excellent for taping up control surfaces.
Happy Christmas
Tezact
tezact is online now Find More Posts by tezact