SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:41 AM
DONT PANIC! :)
United States, FL, Lehigh Acres
Joined Jan 2012
2,001 Posts
badazz leebee! wish you the best bro! please get back to us and let us know... btw thanks for the 411 yes im not confused any more. i gots this!

also,, whats wrong with the stock wheels? some people dont like them. they look great to me.
out of stock is offline Find More Posts by out of stock
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:44 AM
Joined Jan 2012
2,001 Posts
sorry guys i dint like the number of of posts i reached so i had to drop this line lmao.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:05 AM
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined Mar 2011
426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of stock View Post
badazz leebee! wish you the best bro! please get back to us and let us know... btw thanks for the 411 yes im not confused any more. i gots this!

also,, whats wrong with the stock wheels? some people dont like them. they look great to me.
They break if you look at them too hard

Always do a taxi test first.
Graham d is offline Find More Posts by Graham d
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:30 PM
Joined Jan 2012
2,001 Posts
geez whats up with these companies designing weak crap? i could probably build an UC from the dollar store that will out last the majority of things we get from china.

anyway, ill look into doing some test runs before anything. thanks.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:35 PM
Joined Jan 2012
2,001 Posts
im sure this has been discussed previously.

i have the mirage on its way (friday) and a hk 64mm t-45 (from hobby king god knows when that would arrive) whats the best glue we are using here? i hear vise grip, 5 min epoxy, gorrila? i perfer something im able to purchase locally. thanks!
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:49 PM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
I like polyurethane for EPS. Foams just a touch, and the join is always stronger than the foam itself.

For certain parts I still use epoxy, for example I lay a wing spar in - that gets epoxy'd. I also glass the whole thing with varying thicknesses of glass with epoxy.

What do you mean by locally? If you fill out your profile, you'll be able to get better help from those around you and will know brand names, store locations etc...
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:22 PM
Joined Jan 2012
2,001 Posts
forgive me as im a newborn in building foam planes. polyutherane is a glue? is it sold at home depot? walmart? i updated my 411. sorry m8!
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:24 AM
Australia, NSW, Bonny Hills
Joined Aug 2012
278 Posts
Well I had the maiden flight today. Mirage is still in one piece. Not the best conditions with a cross wind, but I got it up ok. So, my thoughts so far: it could benefit from having a rudder, in cross winds you only have a steerable nose wheel, and this doesnít work real good with the nose bouncing down the runway. I moved the main gear forward, but I think I went too far, oh well. The stock wheels are CRAP, I had a bouncy landing and came in a bit too hard on the second hop. The result is one cracked wheel hub, I will get some better ones soon. I also bent the legs back a little, but I have straitened them up. The E-Flite retracts seem a little weak, but at least I didnít rip them out !
Orientation was hell, this is a very symmetrical airplane, I am going to paint the underside fluorescent yellow. It was a grey day, and I donít know how I got it down without losing it.

Only had one flight today, my nerves couldnít handle any more than that, plus the wind got up a bit too much for another go.
leebee1965 is offline Find More Posts by leebee1965
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:35 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebee1965 View Post
Well I had the maiden flight today. Mirage is still in one piece. Not the best conditions with a cross wind, but I got it up ok. So, my thoughts so far: it could benefit from having a rudder, in cross winds you only have a steerable nose wheel, and this doesnít work real good with the nose bouncing down the runway. I moved the main gear forward, but I think I went too far, oh well. The stock wheels are CRAP, I had a bouncy landing and came in a bit too hard on the second hop. The result is one cracked wheel hub, I will get some better ones soon. I also bent the legs back a little, but I have straitened them up. The E-Flite retracts seem a little weak, but at least I didnít rip them out !
Orientation was hell, this is a very symmetrical airplane, I am going to paint the underside fluorescent yellow. It was a grey day, and I donít know how I got it down without losing it.

Only had one flight today, my nerves couldnít handle any more than that, plus the wind got up a bit too much for another go.
my eye sight isnt the best mi always having problems with orientation i try keep the model closer to me and keep my flying basic so i know what side im looking at it helps a lot

bad news about the wheels my thunderbird i think has the same wheels ill just use them for something else
gazza2003au is offline Find More Posts by gazza2003au
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:13 AM
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined Mar 2011
426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebee1965 View Post

Glad she came back in one piece. The wheels are not great at all, but there are great CHEAP alternatives.
I find that you can keep the jet in the same scheme, but go for a bright colour on the tail which will help with visibility.
Once you have her trimmed out you will enjoy her - she keeps on track and is very predictable.

Enjoy.
Graham d is offline Find More Posts by Graham d
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:45 AM
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of stock View Post
forgive me as im a newborn in building foam planes. polyutherane is a glue? is it sold at home depot? walmart? i updated my 411. sorry m8!
Yup - PU is a wood glue. Sold under "gorilla" for one over there. I'd assume HD would have it, or something very similar. It should say on the bottle if it's PU. The ones I've seen over here always say something about "slight foaming" - that's what you're after.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:29 AM
Joined Aug 2012
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysis View Post
Yup - PU is a wood glue. Sold under "gorilla" for one over there. I'd assume HD would have it, or something very similar. It should say on the bottle if it's PU. The ones I've seen over here always say something about "slight foaming" - that's what you're after.
I used Sika brand PU from Bunnings. It will foam a bit though, but nothing sticks eps better.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:40 AM
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
Yup, that's my weapon of choice Comes in a smaller bottle than the Selley's version.

Won't help those on the wrong side of the pacific though! I did bring back a bottle of Gorilla after a work trip, but it's practically identical to the PUs here. The white one was strange, but no better than the brown.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:54 PM
Joined Jan 2012
2,001 Posts
thanks PU is what ill use.

leebee, geez sorry about the minor mishaps. are you going to add a rudder? what ive notice in my edf "career" i rarely ever use rudder. and if i did it was just to fool around. either way rudder is important.

stock wheels are trash huh? im getting the mig 15 struts. i hear their good.

well for $80 shipped im going with the x-flight changesun12/1600kv combo. not bad.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:29 PM
Joined Aug 2012
278 Posts
I don't use rudder much either, but it might help on take off. I will try again on another day and see how it goes. I don't want to cut a rudder out if I don't have to.