HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:58 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
1,061 Posts
That makes sense I tested the voltron into my hotted up rare bear the other day.
I was diving it etc and it read 148mph then when I flew it on the flat and level with shollow dives it was reading about 110mph (there was about a 15mph wind lol) so that explians alot
spyda00 is offline Find More Posts by spyda00
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2012, 11:23 AM
Sweden
Joined Oct 2009
32 Posts
I made a new flight today, all went well to the landing. The right rudder horn stucked in the grass and was pulled out

And the f----g camera did not work again, i was so mad i threw it in the garbage.

I was so nervous on the maiden flight so i probably misjudged the speed. But it is fast, it is hard to estimate because the fan is so quiet.
Just listen to a overpowerd funjet when it flies sounds like it flies 400 mph, but the Mirage sounds like 3s PiperCub.

All I have to offer now are some pictures from the build.
gixxer jimmi is offline Find More Posts by gixxer jimmi
Old Jul 03, 2012, 02:32 PM
Buildings what I enjoy.
Australia, QLD, Witheren
Joined Nov 2007
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk124 View Post
Hi All,

Thought I would share a few photos of my flyfly Mirage 2000 converted to a Mirage 111 D in Aussie Camo Colours. Its almost finnished I still have a few decals to stick on it.

regards,

Hawk 124
Hawk,
Love the conversion from the 2000 to the Mirage III. Have to say the F-111 caught my eye also and from the looks of it she has seen better days or is the front removable? What specs do you have on the Pig?

Cheers Shane
shanesmadhouse is offline Find More Posts by shanesmadhouse
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just some of the hanger.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:02 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,640 Posts
Jimmi, I suggested to a mate a few years ago now to mount the servos so the horns pointed up, but were still hidden in the wings, run a pushrod tube through the wing exiting just in front of the TE of the wing, and the horns mounted on top of the control surfaces. You end up seeing only a bit of rod exiting the top of the wing near the rear, going to a horn. He did it and it looks awesome, and of course nothing to snag!
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Jul 04, 2012, 06:21 AM
Joined Dec 2008
61 Posts
Hi Shane,

Quote:
Hawk,
Love the conversion from the 2000 to the Mirage III. Have to say the F-111 caught my eye also and from the looks of it she has seen better days or is the front removable? What specs do you have on the Pig?
Sent you a PM with a few details on the F-111.

Cheers,

Hawl124
Hawk124 is offline Find More Posts by Hawk124
Old Jul 06, 2012, 06:09 PM
Sweden
Joined Oct 2009
32 Posts
Here is a clip of my third flight, bad video. AUW 4 kg but it flies great but i am not used to it yet so i take it easy on the gas.

Jepe Mirage 2000 Jetfan90 (4 min 5 sec)

Only one fulthottle pass at 2:55
It is quite fast, but hard to tell how fast.
We have a radargun at the field, so i am going to check the speed next time.
gixxer jimmi is offline Find More Posts by gixxer jimmi
Last edited by gixxer jimmi; Jul 07, 2012 at 07:11 AM.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 06:49 PM
Joined Feb 2006
2,396 Posts
well I want to argue that sound is not the way to tell if its fast LOL

I think its hauling pretty good. Sometimes there are jets that sound fast but all they do is make noise and are not really going fast LOL.

I thought I was going really fast because my set up is really loud and I only got 119mph on my mirage. THE same system in a F-16 airpac I got 157mph, I thought i would do 130mph with a more draggy frame the mirage, but either way Im happy because its large goes fast and easier to see which makes it more enjoyable.
sherlockshah is offline Find More Posts by sherlockshah
Old Jul 07, 2012, 04:15 AM
Joined Dec 2008
61 Posts
First Flight of Aussie Camo Mirage 111D

Hi All,

The weather finnally co-operated and I managed to test fly my Mirage 111D today.

I'm running a Wemo 90mm Fan with an ARC 3665-1 that I picked up from extreme RC on 6S with a 5000mA Battery.

First Flight I had far too much throw on the Aileron Channel.

Takeoff: I applied full throttle it excellerated reasonably well then hit a bump and was airborne really before it should have been. That's when the fun started. It needed a couple of clicks of left trim but roll control was far too sensative. I pulled the gear up and lowered the nose and it was away ok.
I did a few trimming passes needed two clicks of down as well as the left trim then set it up for landing. On the first approach I was way too hot so did a go around by this stage 3 mins had elapsed so I was praying that the battery would last another circuit. Thankfully It did and I manage to land it Ok.

Second Flight : Much Better I dialled the ailerons down to about 35% of the original throw and that was fine. Flew for about 3:45 and managed to grease the landing. But on the roll out it hit a bump where the runway matting is joined and I found it at about 12 feet in the air with no airspeed Far out.
I dropped the nose quickly and gunned the throttle a bit to help with the flare but it still hit pretty hard. The nose gear got a bit bent (easy fix) but the right wing has a nasty crack in it. That might take a bit more time to fix.

A friend managed to take some video on his iphone so as soon as I get It I will post it. Thanks Jay!

Best regards,

Hawk124
Hawk124 is offline Find More Posts by Hawk124
Old Jul 10, 2012, 05:12 AM
Joined Jan 2007
10 Posts
@Hawk124

Sounds to me like you landed way too fast!
I have two MIrages - one with wemotech midi rotor 6Sx5000 and Typhoon 600-37-2 motor - the other has Jetcat P20 in place of the fan. Both will land really slow with the nose held high and some power applied. Absolutely no question of jumping back into the air!

After what happened to you I think putting the nose down was a mistake. You should have held the nose high and applied about 1/2 throttle. The model would then have sunk back fairly gently to the ground.
richardC is offline Find More Posts by richardC
Old Jul 10, 2012, 05:23 PM
Joined Feb 2006
2,396 Posts
anyone have a crashed one? i need a vertical fin?

My vertical fin is busted, anyone have one? PLEASE let me know if you have one. Mine jet hit a tree on landing because the battery died out it fell upside down and busted the vertical fin, luckly that is the only damage. IF someone has a totaled kit but with a good fin please let me know.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:36 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,640 Posts
Just make one out of balsa, should be simple enough!
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:15 PM
Joined Feb 2006
2,396 Posts
I put the puzzle back together LOL

Looks pretty good. I put it in hot water to take the compression off and than expoxy it back togther. I might put some tape to cover the cracks. Thanks
Old Jul 11, 2012, 04:41 AM
Joined Jan 2007
10 Posts
Re Vertical fin

It is rather fragile. I've broken both on mine in the process of moving the model between car and worshop. I recommend a layer of glasscloth and epoxy to protect the top half.

I had to replace the top of one of mine with a new piece carved out of blue foam. I was flying on a windy day and the wind blew the model over on the ground - then the borken bit blew away!
richardC is offline Find More Posts by richardC
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:29 PM
Australia
Joined Nov 2010
2,876 Posts
Has anyone got any advice around thrust vectoring?

Bought one of these as i need more weight in the tail. Was thinking that it would really help with rotating
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=21155
lipoflyer is offline Find More Posts by lipoflyer
Old Jul 12, 2012, 06:38 AM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
Landing gear position changes how it rotates - the close it is to the CoG, the easier to rotate.
If you move the CoG aft, it'll make it fly differently as well, so be careful.
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis