Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 23, 2003, 10:39 PM
Angering mobs since 1980.
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Sep 2001
2,929 Posts
Japanese Zero Colors?

Hi all,

I have a GWS Zero and was wondering what the other color schemes for this bird are. I have seen Zeros in what looks like either gray or white motif. Which is it? Could somebody point me to a web site with good pics and color description for this and other IJN paint schemes?

Thanks!

Mike N
Twmaster is offline Find More Posts by Twmaster
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2003, 12:54 AM
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2002
304 Posts
Zero colors and more!

Go to www.hyperscale.com
There is more info and links than you can handle there. Also I highly recommend their Whats New, Gallery, Features and links departments. It's where I get most of my inspiration to delve deeper into more obscure A/C schemes...especaily WW-II subjects.
I just finished my Zero. Maiden tomorrow! Only pics I have are webcam shots of poor quality. I 'll try to post some taken w/ regular camera and 1 hour developing, as it's in a very unusual hard to find piant scheme. Tainan Kokutai from Rabaul in the Solomon Islands. Soburo Sakai and Nishizawa (top scoring aces) flew Zero's based there. Have fun!
SpiritQuest is offline Find More Posts by SpiritQuest
Old Jan 24, 2003, 06:22 AM
Antwerp, Belgium
Joined Jan 2002
194 Posts
Look for Tamiya modelling paint. Being a japanese firm and having a lot of japanese aircraft in their model list, they offer the exact colors for finishing WWII japanese warplanes (Navy and Army).
They offer the paints in acrylics (foam friendly) or spray cans.

I'm going to airbrush my Zero in a 1944-'45 scheme using Tamiya Imperial Japanese Navy green and Imperial Japanese Navy Grey.

I believe Gunze and to a limited extent Model Masters also offer paints for WWII japanese planes
Stephane is offline Find More Posts by Stephane
Old Jan 24, 2003, 08:55 PM
Yorktown, VA
Joined Oct 2000
413 Posts
Zero Schemes

No expert, but I think the color schemes were related to the Zero variant. For example, the early war Type 21 was used at Pearl Harbor in IJN Grey overall. The A6M3 Type 22 (shown in SpiritQuest photo) was usually Mitsubishi Green (solid or palm-leave) over IJN Grey. The Type 32 (clipped-tip Hamp) was also MG over IJN Grey. Finally the late-war A6M5 Type 52 (GWS Zero) was usually Nakajima Green over IJN Grey. None of the current paint companies carry Mitsubishi Green or Nakajima Green (they were made by AeroMaster, now out of business). Don't lose heart--the current IJN Green is close to the "real" colors. My 2cents worth!

Joe
Spinner is offline Find More Posts by Spinner
Old Jan 25, 2003, 07:52 AM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,286 Posts
Mike

The Squadron Shop folks have a publication on the Zero that has lots of color schemes. You can probably get it at a good hobby shop, the Smithsonian or from www.aeroplanebooks.com. Some of the Maxecuters up there undoubtedly have the book.

The color is light grey (I am doing mine in that scheme) with a black cowl and the meatballs and some lettering and colors on the tail.

Pat
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My latest blog entry.
Old Jan 25, 2003, 11:45 PM
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2002
304 Posts
Here's mine!

I did mine in what is believed to be one of the Zero's Nishizawa flew, as in the B/W foto previously posted. Sorry about the quality. All I have is webcam. Hope to get a digital soon. Know anyone that want's to unload a used one???
Old Jan 25, 2003, 11:46 PM
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2002
304 Posts
Oops....grrrr

still learnin'
Old Jan 25, 2003, 11:49 PM
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2002
304 Posts
One more...

Must be a way to do multiples...?
Old Jan 26, 2003, 12:54 AM
Joined Sep 2001
2,929 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the pointers and links. SpiritQuest, is that the GWS Zero?

Cheers,

Mike N
Laser Blade
Old Jan 26, 2003, 01:46 AM
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2002
304 Posts
Yup!

Sure is!
Old Jan 26, 2003, 02:30 PM
Joined Sep 2001
2,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Pat Daily
Mike

The Squadron Shop folks have a publication on the Zero that has lots of color schemes. You can probably get it at a good hobby shop, the Smithsonian or from www.aeroplanebooks.com. Some of the Maxecuters up there undoubtedly have the book.

The color is light grey (I am doing mine in that scheme) with a black cowl and the meatballs and some lettering and colors on the tail.

Pat
Got the Squadron A6M Book at my not favorite LHS today. Terrific book. Exactly what I need.

Cheers,

Mike N
Laser Blade