HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2003, 10:30 PM
LSF186
Wayne, NJ
Joined Jan 2003
424 Posts
Glass Filled and Carbon Fiber Props

Hi!!

I need some help here. What is the difference between glass filled and carbon fiber props other than the material used. Is there an advantage of using one over the other? Is one lighter than the other. Strength to weight ratio of glass filled to carbon fiber?

I am looking at an Aeronaut folding prop system for my Filip 600 -RET. Do the prop blades have to be balanced? If so, How do you do that.

Thanks in advance

Bob
neonbutterfly is offline Find More Posts by neonbutterfly
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2003, 11:42 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,281 Posts
Cabon fiber is both lighter and stronger.
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Jan 24, 2003, 08:14 AM
flight999
England
Joined Dec 2002
2,344 Posts
Carbon are heavier and stiffer.
Also fashionable and more expensive.
Don't think it makes much
difference performance wise.

To bsalance; Tighten blades on hub
so they can't fold. Make sure they
are flat and straight then balance in
the normal way.
flight999 is offline Find More Posts by flight999
Old Jan 24, 2003, 09:23 AM
NY
Joined May 2000
2,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by flight999
Don't think it makes much
difference performance wise.

THAT all depends on your power loading. I wouldn't want to be ANYWHERE around you when you Try to put 1000 watts into a Glass-filled nylon prop !!!
Alan W is offline Find More Posts by Alan W
Old Jan 24, 2003, 09:37 AM
Vile Flyer
Exit 10 off N.J. Turnpike :-)
Joined Jul 2001
295 Posts
My two cents...

The blades are rated for a specific not to be exceeded RPM. Also thin vs broad blades are rated for different rpm. Diameter (inertia) also has a bearing on max rpm,weight too.

All depends on the application, carbon is stiffer, but really matters only when striving for max performance., and if you have the motor system and airframe for that.
I never had to weigh them for comparison, there is no non-Carbon 16x16 prop that I know of !

Aeronaut is good, I have used them, prop/spinner/yoke and all for up to 11x8 props and brushed Sp600 motors for electric gliders like Omen 1.8 m/Spectra etc.

IMHO, the whole system, motor/prop/yoke/spinner/prop hub bolts have to be consistent with the application.

In F5B applications, those 17x18+ props on 24+ cells must have the blade tips moving at close to the speed of sound (I think ?), CF all the way for that purpose. Light and stiff tips, light and strong hub.

Oh, one more thing, you have plastic props (Gunther), Glass Fibre (Aeronaut White), Carbon reinforced GF (Aeronaut Black), and all carbon (RFM 15x15 etc).
Atindra is offline Find More Posts by Atindra
Last edited by Atindra; Jan 24, 2003 at 10:36 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2003, 10:19 AM
flight999
England
Joined Dec 2002
2,344 Posts
Alan.

No one is talking 1000W and you certainly are not doing them on the model under discussion unless.................!!! In which case you shouldn't be in a position to ask such a question, I hope you would know!
flight999 is offline Find More Posts by flight999