HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2008, 06:42 AM
AUSTRALIA brisbane
Joined Aug 2007
309 Posts
Build Log
Novice Golden Era Kit Bash

just thought i'd post up the build up of my wannabe racer.
she's not really a scale model but i'm trying to capture the look of the era for a fun little park flyer (fav plane always been the gee bee!).not really getting much feedback on the parkflyers forum so thought i'd ask here for some colour scheme and general detailing ideas that i could use.
cheers all and be kind....she's my first electric and i'm still pretty much a novice to building and flying models http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=876982
14FELIX2 is offline Find More Posts by 14FELIX2
Last edited by 14FELIX2; Jun 27, 2008 at 05:15 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2008, 07:10 AM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,623 Posts
Here is a good place to start. http://www.airracinghistory.freeola....ir%20Races.htm
Pics are in black&white but gives you and idea of how they were decorated. You can do a more in depth search for a particular aircraft to find out more about the colors.
BTW, nice kit bash. Looks a bit like a Lockheed Cirrus.
Glenn
glewis is online now Find More Posts by glewis
Old Jun 13, 2008, 07:29 AM
AUSTRALIA brisbane
Joined Aug 2007
309 Posts
thanks mate,top site! will definately have to spend alot of time going through that .....have to find the cirrus you mentioned too.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 08:47 AM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,222 Posts
Here's one on a similar theme: http://www.gryffinaero.com/models/ffpages/rce/daddyo/ And my own little "racer" which was based on the wind tunnel model of the Supermarine 224:

Name: 2007_0811Image0021.JPG Views: 150 Size: 73.7 KB Description: 73.7 KB Views: 150
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Jun 13, 2008, 03:45 PM
AUSTRALIA brisbane
Joined Aug 2007
309 Posts
hey geoffinpdx that is a really nice little model,really looks the part...the second link you posted hasn't worked though?
Old Jun 13, 2008, 08:28 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14FELIX2
hey geoffinpdx that is a really nice little model,really looks the part...the second link you posted hasn't worked though?
Oops, try this: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=1584373
and this: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=1448731 and this: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=1448732

Not a very pretty covering job, but it flew very well. I was thinking of a McRobertson or Bendix Trophy long-distance racer, not a Thompson Trophy pylon racer when I designed mine. Anyway, you'll be in "fast company!"
Last edited by GeoffinIN; Jun 14, 2008 at 10:24 AM.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 07:46 AM
AUSTRALIA brisbane
Joined Aug 2007
309 Posts
aaah that's better -hey that definately looks just right! nice job.as for the covering it looks about par with my own efforts so far lol.....who cares though,on a flyby they look just fine
good to see i'm not the only one with a soft spot for this era too.

glewis out of interest do you have a pic of the lockheed cirrus at all? done a search and couldn't find a pic.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 09:34 AM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,623 Posts
Well, if I had spelled the name correctly you might have found some info .
It's Lockheed Sirius. A floatplane version is the aircraft Lindberg and his wife flew to the Orient.
http://www.dmairfield.org/airplanes/NC13W/index.html
http://www.charleslindbergh.com/history/orient.asp

Glenn
glewis is online now Find More Posts by glewis
Old Jun 14, 2008, 10:44 AM
AUSTRALIA brisbane
Joined Aug 2007
309 Posts
thanks glewis....can see the likeness in the fuse wing and that tailplane will be similar to the shape of mine.
oh and by the way you seem to have a wealth of great golden era sites! (feel free to post more )

as for the plane i completed the brown paper tonight.now it's just onto cleaning up the ragged edges,smooth a few spots with spackle,a final coat of pva and then onto primer and paint.also looking forward to getting the spats made to add the final character!
if it's not out of place i may post the build on here?
Old Jun 15, 2008, 06:47 AM
AUSTRALIA brisbane
Joined Aug 2007
309 Posts
got a good hours work done on her today....spackled a few problem areas and gave her a good sand all over with 400 (looking very smooth!),coated all the exposed areas of foam and likely damage prone area with straight pva.bonus here on exposed foam is pva will stop the paint eating it.also glued the undercarriage in with epoxy and made a start on one of the HUUGE gee bee'ish spats .
finally i gave her the first coat of pink paint (nothing screams 30's like a nice pink paint job )
Old Jun 15, 2008, 10:51 AM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,222 Posts
Quote:
finally i gave her the first coat of pink paint (nothing screams 30's like a nice pink paint job )
Yeah, a racer sponsored by Mary Kay Cosmetics! You have to enter it in the Powder Puff Derby!

I see you've been to Harbor Freight - I've got exactly the same scale!
Old Jun 15, 2008, 04:35 PM
AUSTRALIA brisbane
Joined Aug 2007
309 Posts
i was thinking moreso STEFAN as a sponser, just needs a big gay rainbow painted on it now haha. powder puff derby now there's an idea lol.....may have to give the pilot a big pair of "spats" of his (her?) own
i've no idea what harbour frieght is,got the scales from a store called jaycar electronics for $25.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 10:45 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,222 Posts
Quote:
i was thinking moreso STEFAN as a sponser, just needs a big gay rainbow painted on it now haha. powder puff derby now there's an idea lol.....may have to give the pilot a big pair of "spats" of his (her?) own
i've no idea what harbour frieght is,got the scales from a store called jaycar electronics for $25.
OK, a bit of cultural miscommunication. I forgot that we're not in the same continent! Mary Kay cosmetics is a USA company that gives pink Cadillacs to its best saleswomen - or, I suppose, salesmen. The scale is probably sold world-wide, but a place common to those of us around these parts is Harbor Freight, with no "u" in it thanks to Mr. Webster's expunging as many French influenced spellings as possible from American English. I'm not sure how much your Macquarie differs from "proper English," but in this case it's obviously done the proper British way!

Now, put a pink panther pilot in it!
Old Jun 16, 2008, 02:33 AM
AUSTRALIA brisbane
Joined Aug 2007
309 Posts
hey geoff it worries me you know so much about cosmetics ....your right about the cultural differences though,we don't even have cadillacs and to drive a pink car here you would wanna have your windows up and the doors locked haha.
as for correct grammar? now i can safely say we have pretty muched hurled the british grammar and replaced it with our own lingo lol.

pink panther? well there's an idea but i don't think i would be too popular with the scale crowd here,thinkin i may be pushin the boundaries already .
although this pink plane is the first one my better half has taken an interest in! haven't the heart to tell her it's about to be painted haha.

off to the shed now to get some more done,more pics to come tonight.
Last edited by 14FELIX2; Jun 16, 2008 at 05:20 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 05:35 AM
AUSTRALIA brisbane
Joined Aug 2007
309 Posts
just a few more pics tonight of the finish so far,more bench flying and general mayhem.
final wiegh in has seen the brown papering add 45grams,not too bad i think? a big lesson learnt is that pva adds wieght very quick....the final pva coat added 11grams on it's own.heavy when you consider the spackle,paper and watered pva only added 34 grams.
in the end i think the finish is worth the wieght gain.with a spray of primer/filler the finish should be like glass and adds huge strength to the airframe.best of all is as simple as it gets (like me) and very cheap (also a little like me ).