Old Jun 12, 2008, 06:13 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Discussion
DW Foamies BAF Yak

It's my first BAF, so I thought I would announce it to the whole world

After cruising by the hobby shop, with like $120 in pocket, I decided that I should pickup a BAF.

After conversing with Mike for a bit over e-mail, I finally knew how to setup everything. So, I got at it last night, by gluing the elevator controll horns in place, and then gluing the elevator assembly in place. Then I glued the carbon rods in place, and glued the carbon connector rod into one of the carbon wing spars.

So, now today, I finished up the assembly, and glued the fuse pieces together, followed by the motor mount assembly. Next it was time to put the monsterous fuselage together, so I did that, and glued it all up, only tacking the fuselage pieces together, since they fit very tightly together. Also allows the fuselage to flex and not break the CA joints.

Then, I installed the aileron assemblies, and that about wrapped up the assembly, other than gluing the washers in place, and the mounting brackets (did that first, since it was the easiest). Then, I beautied that dull white foam up with some vynils, which went on smoothly.

So, now I'm stuck with 4 servos-which I need to put some "J" type plugs on, and install those.

Just need a motor, ESC, and battery, and I'm about set.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2008, 06:43 PM
I used to be all thumbs...
United States, KS, Pittsburg
Joined Mar 2005
7,061 Posts
You lucky dawg!!!

The Yak looks great, I cant wait to hear how it flies!!

I think once I get some other projects caught up, I'm going to have to pick up the BAF Juka. Huge Foamies are a blast!!
NumbSkull is offline Find More Posts by NumbSkull
Old Jun 12, 2008, 07:08 PM
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Now to give the BAF Yak a dust collector net, untill I can get some more cash to buy that combo from Mike. I believe I need like $130.

Still have yet to install my servos.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 08:42 PM
Melbourne, FL
Joined Dec 2004
1,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress..
Now to give the BAF Yak a dust collector net, untill I can get some more cash to buy that combo from Mike. I believe I need like $130.

Still have yet to install my servos.

While you are waiting for the rest of the pieces you should (IMHO) install some braces along the fus sides to stiffen it up. They made a big improvment to an already great flying airplane.

Danny
F1 Rocket is offline Find More Posts by F1 Rocket
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 12, 2008, 08:55 PM
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Eh, I'm going to try to keep from doing that. I want it to look clean, and not full of carbon.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 10:01 PM
Team DW Foamies (Snap)
Cali
Joined Jun 2008
282 Posts
Reinforce the side with 6 mm foam strips. We run them from the motor mount to the end of the tail at a 45. This will stiffen the fuse greatly. Use a small amount of Pl Turbo this worked better than the CA.

If you want to keep the weight down put 1/2 inch holes every 1 1/2 inch in the stiffners. This offers a cool more custom look.

The stiffners are necessary to get the most performance out of your Baf.

Express if you have any questions feel free to pm me.

Snap
Joethefloorman is offline Find More Posts by Joethefloorman
Old Jun 13, 2008, 06:53 AM
Melbourne, FL
Joined Dec 2004
1,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joethefloorman
Reinforce the side with 6 mm foam strips. We run them from the motor mount to the end of the tail at a 45.

Snap

We did the same on ours. It really is worth the effort.

Danny
F1 Rocket is offline Find More Posts by F1 Rocket
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 13, 2008, 09:58 AM
I used to be all thumbs...
United States, KS, Pittsburg
Joined Mar 2005
7,061 Posts
I've not flown the 55" models, but I've used either a strip of Depron (as described above) or carbon bracing on both the 28" and the 38" models to stiffen up the fuse, and it does a great deal to stiffen it up, and make the plane fly more crisp and responsive.
NumbSkull is offline Find More Posts by NumbSkull
Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:02 AM
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Ah, the fuselage racing. Unfortunately, the only thing I have on hand if the foam safe CA. I was thinking of juts putting a bead of about 2-3" down every 3-4", so that flexibility remains, and still keeps the fuse stiff.

1/2" holes every 1 1/2" eh? Hmm, now that I think of it, I've seen it before. Joe, did you do this on your BAF Juka? (the one Mark took for a spin )
Old Jun 13, 2008, 05:05 PM
Team DW Foamies (Snap)
Cali
Joined Jun 2008
282 Posts
Yes, I now use a strip about 1 1/2 inch on each side top of the fuse
45 the edges and glue. The holes just give it a little better look.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 08:27 PM
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Eh, I went without the holes. I liked the cleaner looks of the solid foam.

And I got my servos installed. Joe, do you just glue yours directly to the surface, or do you mount them with screws and plywood?

And I noticed that they looked like the HS125 wing servos-are they, and how do they work for you?

The servos I used are high speed servos, so they get the entire surface moving instantly. The tailfeathers I used slower high torque servos, for more torque in that region.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 09:50 PM
Team DW Foamies (Snap)
Cali
Joined Jun 2008
282 Posts
I use servo tape. It works great and if you need to change a sero ,or move gear to a different Baf you just twist the servo and off it comes. With servo tape when your flying it feels like there glued in place.

Call mike @ DW he knows the name of the brand we use,it's sold at home depot.

Any metal geared 35-45 oz servo will work.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:07 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Oct 2001
472 Posts
Here is the servo mounting tape that has been working great for servos up to 40 oz torque. The best price I have found is at Ace Hardware, 1" x60" for around $3.00
electric-2000 is offline Find More Posts by electric-2000
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 14, 2008, 09:50 AM
I'm going flying..........
Ramona,CA
Joined Feb 2008
648 Posts
I'm not a big fan of taping the servos on. Instead I make blocks from 9mm depron and CA them in place then hot glue the servo into the created "pocket". Just another way of doing them.
rpmrpm is offline Find More Posts by rpmrpm
Old Jun 14, 2008, 11:08 AM
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Huh, I lost my double sided tape, and only found this clear stuff that barely can even hold onto my HS55s.

I mounted my servos on the wings with some plywood plates, and screws, then I glued the tailfeather servos on with CA. For me, this seems to be working. Plus I hate peeling off that foam tape that gets stuck onto the servo when you pull it off.