Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 12, 2008, 04:50 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,258 Posts
Build Log
SebArt Sukhoi 29S 140E Build Thread...

I've been looking at this one for some time, I've always been partial to the SebArt color scheme so I noticed it right away. I am pretty much a pattern flyer, not all that interested in 3D but I decided to give it a try and see what the excitement is about. I figured what better plane to start with the the new Sukhoi 29S 140!

Note: I know (and agree) this plane is expensive, I think $685 is steep for any plane this size that doesn't have composite materials. The gear is metal, a plastic spinner is included but the lack of any CF is questionable at this price range.

OK, lets begin! Like all SebArt planes this one is immaculate, perfectly covered and shrunk out-of-the-box with the unmistakable SebArt trim pattern. I went with the yellow one on advice from the importer who mentioned the yellow is genuine Oracover while the White one isn't. I own a SebArt AngelS so I would have been OK with the while version but why not get the better brand.

The plane came double-boxed, a tiny bit of compression damage to the outer box caused no damage inside. The parts were all wrapped in plastic, taped in place with hardware either taped or in a box glued to the outer box. The cowl was wrapped in foam and in its own boxed off section and everything looked well thought out. The carbon wing tube and carbon spar tubes came wrapped in foam tape as did the metal gear, all the other hardware was in plastic bags.

First impression is this one is as well built as any other SebArt kit with more detail (more complex construction) than previous planes. The design is light yet looks strong and as always lightening and cooling holes abound. The cowl is plastic and perfectly finished, the color match to the Oracover is perfect. The canopy slightly tinted and matches the Oracover exactly as well, it uses 2 screws to hold it on, perhaps SebArt had bad luck with their magnetic latch system (though I found it to work very well with the AngelS).

here are some initial pictures;

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2008, 04:59 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,258 Posts
OK, the important part, the weigh-in!

Fuse - 23.8 oz
Canopy - 6.4 oz
Cowl - 5.2 oz
Left Wing - 10.6 oz
Right Wing - 10.1 oz
Wing Fillets - 1.8 oz total (2 each)
Left Aileron - 3.2 oz
Right Aileron - 3.4 oz
Left Stab - 3.4 oz
Right Stab - 3.3 oz
Rudder - 1.9 oz
Wing Tube - 3.8 oz
Stab Tube - 0.4 oz
Landing Gear - 6.6 oz
Gear Fillets - 1.0 oz total (2 each)
Wheel Pants - 2.2 oz total (2 each)
Hardware - 7.4 oz

Total Weight = 94.5 oz (5.9 lbs)

Jack
Old Jun 12, 2008, 05:12 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,258 Posts
This is what I've decided to go with for power;

Motor - Axi 5330/F3A
ESC - Jeti Spin 99
Battery - FlightPower EVO 6S 5350 x 2 (12S)
Prop - Mejzlik 20 x 12E CF
Radio - Spektrum 7000
Servos - Hitec HS-5965MG x 5

MotoCalc shows;
2,700 watts
62.7 Amps
307 oz thrust
180 watts/lb.

Now some might say this is overkill, after all the specs call for a Hacker A60 24S on 10S 3700. Actually I agree and if I were buying all this from scratch I'd likely go that route. The issue is I already have a pile of FlightPower 6S packs, so to go 10S means buying more LiPo's. Since I am going 12S instead, I decided to beef up the motor since the Hacker is only rated @ 50 Amps, I already have 2 Axi 5330/F3A motors so keeping them the same where possible just means easier swapping of components later.

Taking a quick measurement if looks like 4 3/4" from the firewall to the thrust washer, which gives about 3/4" overhang for the cowl to screw to the fuse. This means I need 1 3/4" stand-offs to mount the Axi using just a heavy duty aluminum back plate (both on order now). I've also decided to use an arming switch since the canopy is screwed on, this makes for faster arming and disarming without needing a tool. I will start building once I get the servos, aluminum motor plate and stand-offs, for now I might start with the Wing assembly which includes gluing some fillets to the wings as well as gluing in hinge pins...

Jack
Old Jun 12, 2008, 05:25 PM
Joined Mar 2008
105 Posts
This will be an interesting build to watch. I'm debating about doing an AeroWorks Yak 1.20 with an Axi. The AW Yak is 10-11lbs and some other folks have done it on 9S and 10S.
flyingtanks is offline Find More Posts by flyingtanks
Old Jun 12, 2008, 06:08 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingtanks
This will be an interesting build to watch. I'm debating about doing an AeroWorks Yak 1.20 with an Axi. The AW Yak is 10-11lbs and some other folks have done it on 9S and 10S.
Tanks,

MotoCalc shows the AUW at 180 oz (11.25 lbs) so yeah I guess it's right in-line with the Yak you are looking at. I have this combination in my C-ARF Impact (@ 11.25 lbs) as well as my Hanger 9 Sundowner @ 12.5 lbs, both have awesome power. Although I have tons of different components, I am trying to use the same ones more and more now so I can use them for parts if necessary (interchangeable is good). I've seen video of this plane flying on 10S and the Hacker A60, it flys light and I am going to be adding almost a pound to the final weight, hopefully the exta power will more than offset that extra weight...

Jack
Old Jun 13, 2008, 01:10 AM
T2H
France
Joined Aug 2007
83 Posts
Thank you for posting info about this Sukhoi which I am planning to buy.
I agree, $685 is high but for comparison purpose I can tell you that in europe it is a bit different:

-this kit costs 489EUR here with VAT (19,6%), so your price doesn't sound so high
-optional parts like the CF LG costs 78EUR
-kit + combo hacker A60 24S / jeti-hacker 90A is at 879EUR

Note that american designed kits like the Extreme flight are about the same price ! So here we think that EF kits are very overpriced in comparison with your prices in the USA. for example the very nice Yak54 74" from EF costs 429EUR here.

My local shop told me that EF and Sebart kits are manufactured by the same factory in china. Material quality is about the same but I agree that Sebart is a bit more expensive (due to the optional parts like CF LG, wing bags...). In the other hand we have the design of Sebastiano Silvestri and the top of the line flying abilities which comes together

Have a nice build, I will follow this thread. I think I will power mine with 10S 3700 EVO 25 or 4250 EVO lite v.2 and hacker A60.
T2H is offline Find More Posts by T2H
Old Jun 13, 2008, 07:49 AM
USA, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Nov 2003
1,472 Posts
I was looking at this one as well (ended up with the TopModel Giles). Did the $685 include shipping?

Joe
JPHen is offline Find More Posts by JPHen
Old Jun 13, 2008, 10:24 AM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T2H
Thank you for posting info about this Sukhoi which I am planning to buy.
I agree, $685 is high but for comparison purpose I can tell you that in europe it is a bit different:

-this kit costs 489EUR here with VAT (19,6%), so your price doesn't sound so high
T2H,

You have a good point, I only considered the prices in America but I generally don't consider country of origin because it seems like they all are built in China anyway. I guess my point was more in relation to other SebArt product, for example the AngelS EVO which sells for $299. I think based solely on size, quality and comparison to their other products, the Sukhoi 29S 140 should be priced around $475 - $525.

Did that stop me from purchasing, no but I'm sure it will stop some folks who will look elsewhere and find plenty of options under $685. I'm not complaining as much as making an observation, I'm just curious what made them set this price point is all. Now I know the SebArt planes are in high demand and they generally hit the states after being on the euro market for some time, perhaps that plays a part?

Jack
Last edited by jfetter; Jun 29, 2008 at 11:54 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 10:31 AM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPHen
I was looking at this one as well (ended up with the TopModel Giles). Did the $685 include shipping?

Joe
Joe,

It did include shipping, I got it from Fedon Aircraft, the U.S. importer for SebArt. I can tell you if you order from them you'll need to be patient, their web site isn't very friendly or useable and they only use PayPal. The transactions are pretty odd in that you get mail forwarding you to a PayPal receipt with little to no indication of what the transaction is even about they only ship via USPS using that terrible PayPal tracking that never has online info until it arrives but if you want it first, this is what you need to go through.

You can wait a little while (only a few weeks probably) and get it from many other places like Esprit Models and countless others. The box is quite large, I was worried about the shipping cost too but in the end I guess the price was so high they agreed adding shipping would be unfair...

Jack
Last edited by jfetter; Jun 20, 2008 at 08:34 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 09:50 PM
USA, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Nov 2003
1,472 Posts
Jack, spent enough on my Giles ($700 shipped) to keep any more purchases rare. BTW, what are you using for an rx pack or UBEC? My specs pretty much mirror yours, so it will be interesting to see how yours turns out.

Joe
Old Jun 13, 2008, 09:58 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,258 Posts
Quote:
Jack, spent enough on my Giles ($700 shipped) to keep any more purchases rare. BTW, what are you using for an rx pack or UBEC? My specs pretty much mirror yours, so it will be interesting to see how yours turns out.

Joe
Joe,

I've been using Dimension Engineering VHVBEC's (in pairs) on all my larger projects lately. They are switch selectable between 4.8 and 6 volts (handle up to 14S) and include LED's so you can see at-a-glance that they are working. They can be wired in parallel without any additional ciruitry so it's easy to use 2 for redundancy. I figure @ $35 each, to never have to worry about charging an RX pack again, well worth it!

Jack
Old Jun 13, 2008, 10:10 PM
USA, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Nov 2003
1,472 Posts
I'm running A123 (heavy). When you run them in parallel, do you have each go to the rx or are you using a y connector? I'm very interested but had a bad experience on my very first use of a UBEC in my HET F-18 five years ago and have used them sparingly (not in high $$ applications) since.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 12:15 AM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,258 Posts
Quote:
I'm running A123 (heavy). When you run them in parallel, do you have each go to the rx or are you using a y connector? I'm very interested but had a bad experience on my very first use of a UBEC in my HET F-18 five years ago and have used them sparingly (not in high $$ applications) since.
I run 1 via the battery connector and 1 via any free channel, why add to the chance of failure with a y connector. I've heard the argument both ways, I doubt there is anything that could be said one way or another to prove either is better.

I personally feel having a system that is all controlled by 1 flight pack, that must be charged to even get off the ground provides a higher degree of reliability. Some say sure but the flight pack might fail, truth is either system has room for failure, I simply find this option less of a hassle as it is always ready to go...

Jack
Old Jun 14, 2008, 12:28 AM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter
Servos - Hitec HS-5965MG x 5
Well, my LHS was out of 5965's, in fact they weren't even on the current Hitec chart. in place of the 5 x 5965's, I'm going with 3 x 5955's on the Ailerons and Rudder and 2 x 5625's on the Elevators. This is my first experience with heavy duty servos (the 5965's have 333 oz in. of torque @ 6 volts) so I was a tad taken back by the price, Until now I've pretty much been using the DS-821's that ship with the DX7 and 9303 but they don't seem up to the specs called for in this case...

Jack
Old Jun 14, 2008, 05:48 PM
electric power,what else!
Joined Dec 2005
268 Posts
2 VHVBEC parallell for 5 Digital Servos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter
I've been using Engineering VHVBEC's(in pairs) on all my larger projects lately. ...They can be wired in parallel without any additional ciruitry so it's easy to use 2 for redundancy.
that sound very intresting. so you had never a problem with 5 (heavy duty) digital servos and 2 VHVBECs in parallel? ...I consider as well using an additional switched UBEC - but for the first time. I am still worried if they can manage the current peaks of these kind of digital servos....

cheers eJets
eJets is offline Find More Posts by eJets