HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by nickchud, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 07:29 AM
Gloucestershire, UK.
Joined May 2006
1,228 Posts
Hi Nick,
Just been gazing at your progress in post 70 - looking very good, very De Havilland-ish! How are you getting on with her?
Paul W.
paulbw is offline Find More Posts by paulbw
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2008, 03:49 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,696 Posts
Hi Paul!

Thanks for your intererst. I'm now up to the stage where I just need to add the ailerons and nacelles to the wings and the observation bubble to the nose. Then it's servos and linkages, sanding and covering.

I've been sidetracked in the last few weeks, partly by another holiday but mostly due to a surfeit of projects, eg kitchen extension at home, moving to new premises at work.

I'm also working on a cunning plan to scratch-build a canard, twin engine replica of the Beechcraft Starship. My plan is not to build the Scale-ish model until after flying a crash dummy to test the principals and learn how to fly such a plane. This is for the scratch-build contest, which starts in December. My thread is here . I was hoping that I could build and fly something quickly and have some fun before going back to finish off the Mossie. Things never work out out as easily as that, but I am making progress.

cheers

Nick
nickchud is offline Find More Posts by nickchud
Old Oct 15, 2008, 03:16 AM
Gloucestershire, UK.
Joined May 2006
1,228 Posts
Hi Nick,
Just had a look at your Starship thread - I have a video sequence on vhs somewhere that was part of the intro/credits on a flight documentary a while back. It is still so exciting to get off the beaten track, isn't it!? Very best of luck with the project.
I too strayed from my main project to have a crack at producing a one-off trainer with that 'cool' factor to look at - but also as '9 year-old proof' as I can make it. Build not quite yet finished, but soon!
Paul W
Old Nov 13, 2008, 06:34 PM
Braintree, Essex, UK
Joined Oct 2004
1,315 Posts
Impressive Nick, same with the cockpit canopy?
pentaxman is offline Find More Posts by pentaxman
Old Nov 14, 2008, 11:26 AM
Central Lake, Michigan
Joined Dec 2002
1,413 Posts
I've bookmarked that website. Thanks for the hyperlink.
jollyroger is offline Find More Posts by jollyroger
Old Nov 15, 2008, 06:09 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,603 Posts
Hi Nick,

It does look a lot easier than some of the contortions I've gone through to get moulded parts - many thanks, and it is on my favourites list too.

Mike
Sopwith Mike is online now Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Old Nov 20, 2008, 11:42 AM
Gloucestershire, UK.
Joined May 2006
1,228 Posts
Hi Nick,
Just looked-in and found your moulding post - that is a very good result! What material is the tool made from?
Paul W.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 04:52 AM
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,696 Posts
Hi Paul

I don't think materials for the vacuum former are very critical. Just whatever you can find in the shed. The pattern was just a block of balsa. By the time I'd made several aborted efforts, it was scorched, bruised and filled in several places.

Acetate from the model shop is different stuff from whatever cider bottles are made of and I think it's easier to stretch for a difficult 3D shape like this, if you buy the thicker sheets. Something like a cockpit for a park flier is much less critical and pop bottles or thinner acetate would do for those.

For this cockpit I'm planning to build a frame out of 1/8" sq balsa, paint it black and cover it with clear film.

On construction progress, I've moved onto the nacelles now. They're quite time consuming and fiddly, being also 3D bends. I've used 1" planks of 1/16" balsa, with some diagonal cuts in them. I put small pieces of scrap behind the joints to keep them aligned. Even so I'm still going to need filler and a lot of sanding.

I'll post some photos, soon.

cheers

Nick

BTW, I found out after a lot of failed searches that mold is spelt without the "u". I first thought it was mould and that didn't get me very far when searching.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 06:08 AM
Gloucestershire, UK.
Joined May 2006
1,228 Posts
Hi Nick,
Nacelles - yes, I've got those still to do on the Sealand. Mold was in my head as something slightly different - we live and learn!
What did you use to put a surface finish on to the Balsa tool?
Paul W.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 07:41 AM
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbw
Hi Nick,
Nacelles - yes, I've got those still to do on the Sealand. Mold was in my head as something slightly different - we live and learn!
What did you use to put a surface finish on to the Balsa tool?
Paul W.
Nowt!
Old Nov 21, 2008, 11:42 AM
Braintree, Essex, UK
Joined Oct 2004
1,315 Posts
Nick

While you are doing the nacels, please consider adding a flange around the nacels at the wing surface level. I guess you want to know why?
Well I had a bugger of a job getting the film covering the wing to attach firmly to the sides of the nacels, so that when I shunk it, it did not pull away from the nacel surface.
I may well add just such a flange to my nacels over the winter to achieve the sharper joint shape I desire, I would suggest a 3/4-1" strip of 1/16" around the nacel.
pentaxman is offline Find More Posts by pentaxman
Old Nov 22, 2008, 11:57 AM
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,696 Posts
Hah!

I remembered you mentioning that somewhere on LukeZ thread, I think. Also, I've had a problem like that somewhere before.

Done it, I'm on the case.

cheers

Nick
Old Nov 23, 2008, 03:56 PM
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,696 Posts
I was hoping to get away with those 85mm wheels, they're much lighter than the 100mm ones. However, they don't look right at that size. I have a cunning plan for retract doors.

I'm very chuffed with the bubble!

Cheers

Nick
Old Nov 24, 2008, 12:14 AM
Joined May 2001
2,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickchud
I'm very chuffed with the bubble!
Some unintelligible ramblings here, as I tried to figure out what "chuff" means...

Luke
LukeZ is offline Find More Posts by LukeZ
Last edited by LukeZ; Nov 25, 2008 at 12:13 AM.