Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 11, 2008, 01:49 PM
Sky Surfers
USA, ID, Hailey
Joined Apr 2005
2,403 Posts
Discussion
-= Southern Idaho Slope Soaring Log =-

First of all, I would like to give credit, as credit is due, to “dawsonh” as the inspiration for this thread. I have read his logs from the beginning with great interest. I have had the pleasure of meeting Dawson, enjoying his hospitality and flying with him at a couple of his famous local haunts that he brings to life almost daily. His zeal for the slope is infectious and I look forward to visits in the future.
Thanks Dawson.

People come to the Ketchum/Hailey/Sun Valley area for many reasons. Once being most famous for the winter sports, much of the attention has shifted to the summer and fall. It is said that “the winters bring you to the valley and the summers keep you here”. We have some of the best fishing, hunting and hiking that the state has to offer, among other activities. All of these have mountains and the desert in common and we also have some pretty reliable winds. I say lets add sloping to the list of things to do.

This thread is for everyone to use to share their local sites and see what kind of interest there might be. Personally, I would very much like to share the slope with some new faces. Right now there are only two of us, Al Beam and myself, who fly slope regularly. I/we need some new faces to share in the fun. I know there are some DS guys, between Malad and IF who might have some front side action to share .

In the upcoming pages I hope to introduce some of the slopes, big and small, that I have discovered while “slopin’ in the hood”. Please join in with some of yours.

Best, Pete
-=RCpeterV=- is offline Find More Posts by -=RCpeterV=-
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2008, 09:08 PM
Sky Surfers
USA, ID, Hailey
Joined Apr 2005
2,403 Posts
Wednesday 06.11.08, Ohio Gulch

After my previous post the winds started piping up from the NNW. As I looked out my office window the trees were bending down canyon which all by itself isn't much ado but when it is after lunch and the up canyon shift hasn't happened, that means it'll be pretty good NWish.

So today I decided to explore more of the ridge near our club flying field and had 4 or 5 hours of about 20 mph winds that turned from NW to WNW between 1:30 and 6:00p. As the wind moved I was able to fly three nice spots on the ridge.

Had a lady hiker headed my way and I got all excited to have some company. With the distraction I promptly made a slightly unplanned, albeit fairly decent, landing. When I looked up from my retrieval, she was nowhere to be seen.

At the third site, thermals worked well and I specked out the little wing a number of times. Got some great speed dives a pumps out of them. Not bad for 11.5 ozs. I'd say .

All in all a good session and I got some video (tripod mount....sorry) that, with the help of Dawson, I will post in the near future.

By the bye, these sites are less than 2.25 miles by road and 1.25 straight line from my house. "It's good in the hood".

Best, Pete
Old Jun 12, 2008, 12:41 AM
gas tires and oil
malad, idaho
Joined Dec 2004
2,434 Posts
pete! that third spot looks very DSable! i better come up!!!

marty
prplgoat is offline Find More Posts by prplgoat
Old Jun 12, 2008, 01:06 AM
Sky Surfers
USA, ID, Hailey
Joined Apr 2005
2,403 Posts
Marty

Good to hear from you. Would love to have you up.

I think that the McCoy Mine site might be a better candidate, it has a sharp saddle and is steep on both sides. This 3rd spot has a pretty broad top.

I'll post some better pics in the next day or two.

Best, Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by prplgoat
pete! that third spot looks very DSable! i better come up!!!

marty
Old Jun 12, 2008, 01:07 AM
gas tires and oil
malad, idaho
Joined Dec 2004
2,434 Posts
here are a couple from a small DS ridge that i flew only front side from down below until i got the wild idea of hiking up and trying out the back side. it works surprisingly well and i have got some respectable speeds here.
works good from S to W winds. SE sucks , SSW to WSW rocks for DS. N to NW no fly around here!

marty
prplgoat is offline Find More Posts by prplgoat
Old Jun 13, 2008, 01:16 AM
Sky Surfers
USA, ID, Hailey
Joined Apr 2005
2,403 Posts
Here's a couple of shots of McCoy at the top. I couldn't stitch the two together but the Ford is a good reference.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 05:34 AM
Surf's up!!
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=RCpeterV=-
After my previous post the winds started piping up from the NNW. As I looked out my office window the trees were bending down canyon which all by itself isn't much ado but when it is after lunch and the up canyon shift hasn't happened, that means it'll be pretty good NWish.

So today I decided to explore more of the ridge near our club flying field and had 4 or 5 hours of about 20 mph winds that turned from NW to WNW between 1:30 and 6:00p. As the wind moved I was able to fly three nice spots on the ridge.

Had a lady hiker headed my way and I got all excited to have some company. With the distraction I promptly made a slightly unplanned, albeit fairly decent, landing. When I looked up from my retrieval, she was nowhere to be seen.

At the third site, thermals worked well and I specked out the little wing a number of times. Got some great speed dives a pumps out of them. Not bad for 11.5 ozs. I'd say .

All in all a good session and I got some video (tripod mount....sorry) that, with the help of Dawson, I will post in the near future.

By the bye, these sites are less than 2.25 miles by road and 1.25 straight line from my house. "It's good in the hood".

Best, Pete
Boy I am jealous !!
Those sights look awesome. And they are in your back yard. Maybe I can swing by next Labor day weekend either on my way down or back from Soar Utah and intrude for a half day. Always looking for new places to fly. The wife and I are talking about our future place to live, Idaho has come up in several of our conversations. HHMM never know. But where-ever it is it needs to a back yard just like this one.

Chip
In Montana
sixty9mustang is offline Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Old Jun 13, 2008, 10:31 AM
Flagstaff, AZ
USA, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Mar 2003
3,812 Posts
Photoshop!

Voila!

Quote:
Here's a couple of shots of McCoy at the top. I couldn't stitch the two together but the Ford is a good reference.
dawsonh is offline Find More Posts by dawsonh
Old Jun 13, 2008, 04:27 PM
Sky Surfers
USA, ID, Hailey
Joined Apr 2005
2,403 Posts
Rescued

Thanks Dawson

It's on the old PC but not this one .

Pete
Old Jun 13, 2008, 04:44 PM
Sky Surfers
USA, ID, Hailey
Joined Apr 2005
2,403 Posts
Video

Here goes...McCoy Mine Site

Pete .... Vidiot and pilot
Last edited by -=RCpeterV=-; Jun 13, 2008 at 04:49 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 05:01 PM
Sky Surfers
USA, ID, Hailey
Joined Apr 2005
2,403 Posts
Chip

Always room for a new face on the hill .

I'm planning on Soar Utah as well. I was there last time but didn't have much to fly then. Workin' on the hanger now but I won't get too far at the rate I've been flyin' .

Perhaps I'll see you in Utah if not before,

Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty9mustang
Boy I am jealous !!
Those sights look awesome. And they are in your back yard. Maybe I can swing by next Labor day weekend either on my way down or back from Soar Utah and intrude for a half day. Always looking for new places to fly. The wife and I are talking about our future place to live, Idaho has come up in several of our conversations. HHMM never know. But where-ever it is it needs to a back yard just like this one.

Chip
In Montana
Old Jun 13, 2008, 08:24 PM
Sky Surfers
USA, ID, Hailey
Joined Apr 2005
2,403 Posts
Thursday 06.12.08, Ohio Gulch

Abut 11:30, took a nice hike with another retired FF, his wife and mine, to a place I had never done before. I had back country skied the area near this place but not seen the valley from this vantage. Never fails to amaze me after all these years there are still places like this.

After the hike and some lunch I set out for the hill at about 2:00p, I think, and had another great session at that 3rd spot like yesterday. The winds were once again NW and probably 15-20 mph on the hill. I checked the wind report on Bald Mountain (Sun Valley Resort) and it confirmed the NW action.

Didn't have any hikers today but my big grin was company enough for me . Only took a walk to the backside once while trying to crank a turn right behind me to hover it down. I guess practice means a walk now and then .

Pete
Old Jun 13, 2008, 08:26 PM
Sky Surfers
USA, ID, Hailey
Joined Apr 2005
2,403 Posts
Marty.....That's some pretty big country.

Pete, who thinks it looks birdy too

Quote:
Originally Posted by prplgoat
here are a couple from a small DS ridge that i flew only front side from down below until i got the wild idea of hiking up and trying out the back side. it works surprisingly well and i have got some respectable speeds here.
works good from S to W winds. SE sucks , SSW to WSW rocks for DS. N to NW no fly around here!

marty
Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:13 PM
Sky Surfers
USA, ID, Hailey
Joined Apr 2005
2,403 Posts
Friday 06.13.08, Roxanne's Hill

After playing around with the video stuff I needed a break so I headed up the canyon as I usually do except the walk is in the opposite direction from the recent outings.

I discovered this hill one day when the S winds were kinda poopy on the Mini slope across from the flying field. I glassed the lone spruce near the top and noticed it was getting tossed around a bit so away I went. The hill has face that is about 600' from the toe to the top.

Today was the turning point, hopefully, for the cool weather we have had all spring. The temp rose above 70F and this hill was real slermally with winds of 20+, it felt like . This was the first day to fly this hill this year and a good one too.

I flew for about an hour and a half until the wind started to move more SW then figured I'd better cut the grass .

Pete
Old Jun 14, 2008, 01:01 AM
Surf's up!!
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,453 Posts
Quote:
Chip

Always room for a new face on the hill .

I'm planning on Soar Utah as well. I was there last time but didn't have much to fly then. Workin' on the hanger now but I won't get too far at the rate I've been flyin' .

Perhaps I'll see you in Utah if not before,

Pete
Hey Pete
If by chance I don't get your way on the way down, I will fly with you at Soar Utah. May have to take out a loan to afford the gas though .

Thanks for the invite
Chip
sixty9mustang is offline Find More Posts by sixty9mustang